1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clingan v. Williams/Kessler/Lively

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, May 21, 2024.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

After watching some highlight videos of him ... I am not impressed
    Running dunking over shorter players
    I didn't see him shoot once except for a floater
    Looks awful

Multiple scouts have him in the top5 but I don't see that at all
    Some have him farther down in the teens I would agree with that

I'd rather have Edey, at least hes got a punchers shot at being Yao/Joker/Embiid

clutchdabear, Imanimal and ArtV like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bro, Popovich starting Wemby and Donovan would make me cream, because Alperen could sit in the paint all game long in help off of Clingan, while our pack of hungry beasts (Amen/Tari/DB/Bari/Cam) fly around the court annoying Wemby.

On offense, Alperen will be Alperen.

PLEASE LORD LET THE SPURS DRAFT CLINGAN. Spurs get wayyy easier to defend with that huge dork in there.

cml750 and clutchdabear like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haha no kidding… How about Boban? :D

4. PeppermintCandy

Boban should be kept around to mentor Clingan, if the Rockets select him.

Just kidding. I'd be surprised if he's on this team next season.

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I don't hate the idea of him being the pick at 3, but I also don't love it.

A lot of draft nerds are keying in on his advanced passing metrics as a differentiator to Kessler, Williams, etc.. Footage of him hitting cutters out of the high post, elbows, or off a roll. An interesting skill that points to good IQ and feel. Is it real? I think its hard to fake that aspect of your game, but it is a small sample size.

So you have a defensive anchor that can maybe get involved in offensive actions beyond screening and play finishing. Which is actually cool, but like others have said, the fit with other non-shooters is questionable.

I don't buy combine shooting. 50 unguarded, wide open shots doesn't make a non-shooter a shooter. Remember Andre Drummond adding a 3 pointer to his game?

FWIW, I think he's a better prospect than Edey. Yeah I know who tested better athletically, but if I have 2 non-shooting bigs, I'd rather take the younger one with better defensive instincts and IQ than the low post scorer.

I've also seen a few comparisons to Hasheem Thabeet which is a hilariously bad assessment.

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Great post. Agree that Edey is not a “sure thing” but his highlights comparison and play against Clingan make him clearly the guy to take. Clingan is Walker Kessler if that excites people at number 3.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

Based on the Tournament play Clingan is much better than Kessler or Lively. If that play is sustainable he’s an NBA starter.

He moves his feet so well, closes out drives with his hip, forcing the driver to move away from the basket. Many of his blocks are on his man, not from the weak side, which is easier.

Clingan is a much better passer than Kessler or Lively. Some of his passes are Jokic-like. When he establishes position deep, he’s a big, big problem: has nice touch and uses the glass very well, Duncan-like. Very good roller, Asik-like, but with softer hands.

probably Hartenstein is a better comp than Kessler/Lively, except Clingan measures even bigger and already has more poise and awareness than Hartenstein had on the Rockets (young iHart was a bit too wild and uncoordinated)

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I apologize for the Walker Kessler comparison….it finally hit me who Clingan reminds me of. A guy named Jock Landale. Can anybody on this site give me one thing other than age that Clingan does better than Jock. Watching highlights they are the exact same player. One Jock on the team is more than enough!

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

For the thousandth time Jabari will guard Wemby. If this happened Sengun would guard clingan, which h will have no problem with.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree Edey over clingan, but neither should be in the top five

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun? Lol....you talking about All-Stars in Towns and Gobert. Let's see what happens in the draft and in the future.

But my thought process is, you can best believe Stone and Ime are looking at these Playoff series and see how their team matches up.....ITS ABOUT SIZE.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Stone is pretty horrible so you might be right, especially considering the overwhelming title favorites don’t have a single big guy

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I didn't know there were overwhelming title favorites this year. If there were, I'd assume it would be the Celtics, who have Porzingis and Horford.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Porzingis doesn’t play and horford is a very old very undersized center. Boston is currently -165 to win the title, next closest is +280

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I have an issue with having two slow, plodding bigs in one lineup. Minny doesnt do that. Naz Reid/KAT are athletic bigs. They make it work because Gobert is an elite rim protector who can stay home while the other 4 guys are athletic enough to switch, make 3's and get to the rim. Clingan next to Sengun would be a disaster especially since it would be Jabari relegated to the bench or outright traded.

Only 7 footers I see being able to fit in next to Sengun and the rest of the core by adding defense and outside shooting in this draft are Sarr, Ware, Filipowski, Branden Carlson and Quinten Post.

My biggest hope is that we are able to add an elite trait to the existing roster be that shooting or defense with a top 3 pick. I've been a Dalton Knect guy all year and like him as a player more than Reed Sheppard, but he's a redundant talent on this team as a scorer. Sheppard would add an elite level trait to the Rockets. Finding a big who can add defense and capable outside shooting would also bolster the overall talent. My aim is not to mess with a .500 team too much and allow continued chemistry and growth apart from being able to land a top 10 type player of course.

#55 Verbal Christ, May 22, 2024
    Last edited: May 22, 2024
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Title favorites

Boston - Porzingas
    Minn - Towns, Gobert and Reid
    Dallas - Lively and Gafford

They discussed on the Pre-Game Show last night. The league is changing and going back to bigger players. GS was a facade.

NewAge likes this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Porzingis doesn’t play, and that’s the team that will almost certainly win the title. You just want big guys who are big, regardless if they’re actually good or if they fit at all. Just dumb

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Minn starts Towns and Gobert. They make it work because Towns is able to shoot 3's at a consistent clip and he is able to move on the perimeter quite well for a guy his size.

For the Rockets to take the next step, Alpi has got to be able to manifest his game to immolate Towns or like I said in previous post, they need a Aaron Gordon type player. Someone who can block shots, as well as shoot effectively from 3pt range.

Which brings me to the draft. If they draft Clingan, I think eventually it will come down to Sengun or Clingan, because their styles are different. However, if they can move down and draft Ware, he fits better long term next to Sengun.

I seriously doubt they will trade Jabari. He's a two way player that is developing and he can be a future SF or PF.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I thought EVERYONE knew he was injured and he is set to come back this series. You didn't know?