1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

I’d really like to see loperfido get a good 7 game or so consistent run of playing time.
    Don’t the Astros get a draft pick or something if he’s roy?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. That is for Top 100 Prospects that are up Opening Day if my memory serves.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just didn’t think Javier was our full time #2 starter that year, that is all…. Yes, he was a middle rotation starter from the summer on through the playoffs.

Didn’t start a game in the first round.

Started game 3 in the second round.

Started game 4 in the World Series (and what a start!)

That’s exactly what @Snake Diggit was referring to as far as where his ideal spot in the rotation would be, and how many playoff starts that spot in the rotation would actually make.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

MLB is so stupid sometimes.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The post I was responding to clearly said: "pitched like a contending team’s #2 SP this season. He’s never been that level of pitcher over an extended period of time." I specified 2022 as fitting that criteria though I was not explicit when I said No. 2 starter as being equivalent to "pitched like a contending team’s #2 SP" as I thought that was easily understood from Snake's post. Of the No. 2 pitchers on the teams I consider contenders in 2022, Javier pitched better than most of them, IMO. JV pitching better is irrelevant because he was the best pitcher on a contender. How the Astros deployed Javier isn't relevant as they weren't the only contender.

The Astros did not pitch Javier as if he was 2nd best starter on their team. JV was better. This doesn't change that Javier pitched great in 2022 such that most contenders did not have 2 pitchers that pitched better.

Nick likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I was surprised to see that Javier was among the top 40 or so pitchers in MLB in xfip and fwar in 2022. So there’s certainly an argument that he was a #2 on the whole of that season. Defining slots for starters is extremely subjective so it’s not something worth getting worked up about, but my opinion is still that if Javier is Houstons clear #2 SP, they’re in trouble.

everyday eddie and Nick like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok. Still seems very confusing when re-explained… but I guess I see where you’re coming from.

All that being considered, was LMJ really deservedly ahead of Javier in the pecking order in 2022? Was it solely based on playoff experience at that point that a still injured LMJ gets the game 3 start in the first round (where he did pitch very well… last time he has pitched very well as an Astro starter…)

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

One-Run Games

After starting the season 0-7 (1-9), Astros have gone 5-2 and have 4 consecutive wins.

Current record: 5-9

ryan_98 likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Current MLB fwar rank by position (min 100 pa):

C Diaz 15th
    1B Singleton 18th
    2B Altuve 4th
    SS Pena 6th
    3B Bregman 14th
    RF Tucker 1st
    CF Meyers 2nd
    LF n/a
    DH Alvarez 9th

Wulaw Horn and Dgn1 like this.
  10. Qan

Qan Member

Wish they had re-signed Tucker when they traded for Verlander last season. Just give him his 10 years, he's worth the cost.

11. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The best outfield in baseball? Second best behind the Yankees?

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Diaz, Bregman and Alvarez are real disappointments there. Meyers, Pena and Singleton pleasant surprises. Singleton is about where you would have hoped Abreu would be preseason. I expect the first 3 I mentioned to her better as the year goes on and the other 3 to get worse netting out to about where we are right now- probably a top 5 offense in true talent that will score more runs a going forward than we’ve scored to date due to bad luck, but not historically great like in 2017 and 2019.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Who do these belong to.

14. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These belong to Jake Meyers, Kyle Tucker and Yordan Alvarez in that order. Jake Meyers is putting up star-level numbers with the peripherals to match.

BlindHog and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

16. Radricky

Radricky Member

17. Radricky

Radricky Member

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Diaz is really in his first full season at the most difficult position on the field. I am shocked that he is holding his own there.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Random thought but I just remembered Graveman. Man that really sucks. With our pitching woes to start the season he really could have been a massive help.

Such is life I guess.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Maybe my expectations were too high. I think he’s an all star with an outside shot at some mvp level seasons if he can improve his plate discipline which is a skill that often ages well. His complete lack of barrels and crappy launch angle explain his plummeting SLG. All the peripheral stats are fine. The guy isn’t a league average hitter imo- he’s an125-140 ops plus guy. Need to see that again.

Snake Diggit likes this.