1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023/24 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Jul 3, 2023.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Going to be a fun summer. Euro's, Copa America, Olympics. But first...I'm intrigued to see if Leverkusen can finish the job and go completely undefeated for the entire season. A truly impressive feat if they can do it. Already a highly successful season as it stands.

daywalker02 and Raz like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not looking good for Leverkusen right now...

3. Raz

Raz Member

... and just like that, the streak is over. You should've jinxed earlier.

4. leroy

Nah...wanted to see Bayern's reign of terror end finally. Makes the Bundesliga at least somewhat interesting that someone else won it for the first time in over a decade.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think nobody outside of Bayern or Germany even cared about the league but now maybe they start caring again.

6. leroy

So, Vincent Kompany?

7. Raz

Raz Member

So you will join our Bundesliga conversation next season? ;)

Not going to comment any coach until it's a done deal after what's happened these past few weeks.

8. leroy

I said "somewhat interesting". Not tv interesting. :)

Even if true and it does happen, feels like a bad move...but maybe the Bundesliga is the place to learn how to manage a big club. Clearly wasn't ready for the EPL.

9. Raz

Raz Member

Here we are. Understand it's an experiment and a huge risk, since the Champions League final will take place in Munich next year and everything other than reaching that final will be a huge disappointment. So a tough challenge for Kompany, but I'll still take him over Rangnick, Lopetegui, Glasner, Schmidt, Flick or whoever they talked to. Even Nagelsmann and Tuchel. Pretty sure Kompany's last contract year is not guaranteed, Bayern has wasted a lot of funds on coaches these past years.

People laughed when we brought back Heynckes and everybody knows what happened back then, so let's just give it a chance. If it won't work out, at least some heavyweight names like Klopp, Guardiola or Xabi Alonso could be available in 2025 or 2026.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Might as well try something new, I guess. My sources tell me he is a top talent as a coach. Others also wanted him.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

just checked the enggrish table after a while. dam how tf did elefsee go from top to 3rd? and a distant 3rd too. lelz.

next year is our year! new coach, new players, new system, (hopefully) new owners

12. leroy

Team isn't for sale. They took it off the market a long time ago.

They fell apart once Klopp made his announcement in January...which was impossibly stupid. Yeah, he can know that he's retiring but making it public was just dumb. They couldn't close the deal after that and Arse nal and C115 just kept winning.

Jontro likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Draymond is on the champions league pregame panel today lol

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We're going to have to take him like we take inflation, terrible weather, and pollution.

15. leroy

I missed that, thankfully. The bar I was watching at didn't put the sound on until gametime.

Congrats to Real...and to Dortmund in a sense. Dortmund will now get a €25 payment from Real for the Bellingham deal for winning the CL. Had they won, the price was €20 million. Winning would've cost them €5 million.

JumpMan likes this.
  16. vince

vince Member

Seems Dortmund gets an additional 5 million with the result. Though I bet they’d forgo all of the $25 million to be able to hoist the trophy.

instead it’s Real Madrid that sits atop European soccer once again. For the 15th time Europe club champions.

Real Madrid are like the Yankees of MLB, or the Lakers of the NBA. They sit as the epitome of what European Soccer signifies.

JumpMan likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is how futebol is played...... 70 minutes in defense and inferiority and then 1 set piece and 1 mistake by the opponent.

Win.

Jontro likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

sounds boring. no wonder most us muricans hate it. real murican football is better. 1 snap for 5 seconds and then 5 minutes standing around waiting for next snap.

daywalker02 likes this.