1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gov. Greg Abbott announces he will push to pardon Daniel Perry who was convicted of murder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Why is there even a "woke" vs "anti-woke" discussion here? That muddies the water from the application of the law. I support self-defense and stand your ground laws. Sure, protestors who block streets should be arrested. But if the shooter states that the protestor's gun wasn't raised, then the jury properly convicted. This tribalism BS makes y'all crazy. One side was completely wrong about the Kyle Rittenhouse legality, and now the other side is crazy about Perry. Don't throw your brains away for tribalism.

DonnyMost, Nook, deb4rockets and 7 others like this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ill point out once again that not one single supporter of perry being pardoned has their facts correct. @K9Texan straight up lying about what happened that night. conquistador/trader jorge falsely claiming that someone else shot at perry first. @tinman being @tinman.

i would be interested to see any perry-pardon supporter give an honest description of what they think happened that night. not a single one of yall can do it because you know the facts are not on your side.

astros123 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Salvy likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Never threaten a man in his car, if anything get out the way..... Clear the streets....

tinman likes this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is why you apologies, crime statistics and bullsh*t means nothing to me
    Evil will support Evil
    Klansmen in Wheel chairs will support Klansmen without

Abbutt is a scumbag sticking up for other scumbags

We have a multitiered "justice system"
    where minorities get the harshest punishment
    when they are violated the people that violate them get the softest punishments or get off
    DE FACTO Stating that their lives matter less

I fricking detest Hot Wheels and all he stands . .er. . .sits for . . ..

Rocket River

astros123, Reeko, DFWRocket and 3 others like this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The specifics are important, but they're not relevant in this context. Perry was convicted of murder by a jury. Before he was even sentenced, Perry stepped in and completely overturned the conviction with a full pardon. There was no appeal, no additional hearing—just a clean slate for the murder conviction. This abuse of executive power without political backlash is extremely dangerous. It's not so far-fetched to imagine Abbott ordering someone's killing for a hot-button political issue and then pardoning the killers afterward.

Tribalism is tearing us apart. We can't even come to a consensus on whether pardoning someone for murder is morally wrong.

Kim, Nook, astros123 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That again is a NO.

You support pardoning a convicted murderer.

astros123 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Social Christian Conservatives need to read their ****ing bible for once ... or be truthful that they selectively take what they want from Christianity and stop using the Bible as a baseball bat.

DonnyMost and astros123 like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've noted this a few times but it's amazing how many are railing about how unfair the justice system is when a wealthy white former president is prosecuted yet were not only silenced but supported the prosecution of poor minorities and / or justified the killings by LEO of poor minorities.

Nook and astros123 like this.
  13. jo mama

paul walker died because he was driving recklessly and crashed. garrett foster died because he was open carrying at a BLM protest and was crossing the street when daniel perry, who spoke of his desire to murder BLM protestors, intentionally drove into a crowd and then shot him. by perrys own admission foster was not aiming his weapon at him. he was convicted of murder by a jury of his peers and the governor pardoned him after tucker carlson cried about it.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Perry better move to Idaho... or get his self into witness protection or something.
    I can't imagine people won't at least be getting in his face every damn day, SWATting him, etc, etc.

jo mama, Xopher and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

@CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The military references are not a reason to allow the murder. The shooter AND the victim were both military veterans. And it shouldn't matter anyways.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I find this somewhat amusing. Are we at a point where murder is being considered acceptable?

I suppose one could argue that a mother taking the life of her daughter's killer and rapist is a justifiable reason, potentially even warranting a pardon. I'm unsure if she was ever granted one or served her full sentence.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning by some. For example, I know some just don't care and want to troll. Others though, actually believe that what governor Abbott did was morally correct. Was it legal? Sure, Abbott has that power. I don't see how some are justifying this other than being an anti-BLM thing, which is pretty crappy to pardon a convicted murderer just because you don't like BLM. I think some have gone the "the accused served our country route," but the so did the victim. That's like if the Virginia governor pardoned James Fields for the Charlottesville car killing. I just don't get it, for the truly crazies, not the trollers. Legit 2A defenders and legal self-defense believers should not condone what Perry did - that's just nuts. It's okay to dislike BLM, but murdering someone for open carrying...this really is about whose team you're on. Pretty sad.

#238 Kim, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, I did try to understand a bit, but I concluded this is clearly anti-BLM is a morally acceptable reason for murder. Clearly and sadly wrong.

I had brought up the real case of Marianne Bachmeier, who killed the man on trial for raping and murdering her 7-year-old daughter, as an example of an act that could potentially be morally justified in an extreme situation. Even then, she was still held legally accountable with a 6-year manslaughter sentence, though released on probation after 3 years. She faced consequences.

This current case of the pardoned murder is worlds apart from Bachmeier's, yet the general public seems to accept Abbott essentially condoning anti-BLM views as an acceptable motive for murder through his pardon. It's devastating to see such flimsy moral grounding being accepted by society on this issue.

On legality, yes Abbott has that power. It is assumed that politically, no one would survive using that power this way. We trusted the people to make the right political choice, but clearly, we were wrong to have that trust, sadly. The pardon power should certainly be scrutinized more closely, with restrictions implemented when the opportunity arises for improved governance. Political blowback is not enough, it needs some legal guardrails.

#239 Amiga, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
    jo mama likes this.
  20. jo mama

he got his gun rights restored so no question that he will be carrying wherever he goes and looking for stuff like that. this is a guy who showed up at the memorial for garret foster after murdering him and harassed people there.

and as evidenced in this thread, he is a hero to many right-wingers.

Rocket River, astros123 and B-Bob like this.