1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, Hakeem did it. I don't mind him learning from Hakeem :cool:.

Easy likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

#14062 AroundTheWorld, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
    Rudyc281, cdastros and AlperenSengun like this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Playing one more season though :). I really don't like this type of stats posting to get attention rather than to amek something useful out of the stat. Jokic's assist rate is way better. That's not a knock on Sengun, as he is way better than Sabonis for example in the career trajectory, who in terms of role, is a better comparison to Sengun.

Assists is an area where Sengun definitely has untapped potential. But it is hard for him to keep up with Jokic numbers unless he plays like a guard like jokic, which I don't think will happen, I am not sure he can, and even if he can I don't think that maximizes his talents.

I see him more as a pf/center hybrid with excellent post game, vision/passing and ability to attack the rim. Post play and attacking the rim will be his speciality. Combined with some mid-range game, 3pt shot and his passing this is all nba level.

tagedieb, saleem and maypk like this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I agree except the ‘limited physically’ should be more ‘not athletic freaks’.

Waxing meta, a lot of these guys actually have to work, which is what makes them special.

Also SMH at the Mavs for letting Brunson go. It’s Nash all over again.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cumutk

cumutk Member

Sengun is not only our best player, he is the best center 22 or under 22...
    Our All other young players are prospects, but Sengun is star right now with his stats and broken records..
    Our future is bright...

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. cbass

cbass Member

I love Sengun, but come on bro, Wemby exists.

glimmertwins likes this.
  8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

So does chet

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

...and got crushed by Sengun.

10. invocux

invocux Member

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The ONLY way you stop guys like Jokic, Wemby, Embiid... YOU GO AT THEM...

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

We need a proper #2 option so f***ing bad

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That can mean Sengun is the greatest center in the league....but it more than likely means that other teams would rather just double Sengun every time and force anyone one of the many bad Houston shooters to take a shot. The math is in your favor hoping Brooks takes the shot over a Sengun post play. It will be interesting to see how those numbers change as Sengun's team gets more skilled at making teams "pay".

saleem likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We need Reed Sheppard.

csnerd84 likes this.
  16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I do agree that we NEED to get shooting out of this draft. I just wish there were better options than Reed at the 3rd pick... I think the only way drafting Reed works is, Jalen takes up his game so Reed is more of an off ball guard/4th/5th option(he seems to do a great job relocating and obviously shooting is his strength) and he would need to be a full time PG on this team because of his size....but hey if we could turn him into a better shooting version of Fred, that would be a score. I think a lot of the things he does(relocating/shooting, good connective passer, pushes in transition) would be particularly valuable here and his athleticism is higher than you would think(effectively he posted similar combine stats as Bronny)...but I worry he might be too small for the league and could go the way of TyTy Washington. It just feels like small guards like FVV are increasingly less common in starting lineups and I doubt we are trying to draft a bench guy at the 3rd pick.

...on the other hand - I think Clingan is a safer bet to get value out of even if we miss and I think having a tall guy his size is sorta necessary in a league with giants like Giannis, Jokic, Embid, KAT, Wemby, and Chet. Thats like half the future Western conference contenders right there! But of course that exacerbated the existing shooting problems between both Amen and Sengun's limited range.

#14076 glimmertwins, May 18, 2024
    Last edited: May 18, 2024
  17. Gergin

Gergin Member

Alpi is back in the hyperbolic time chamber in his hometown.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sheppard will have to play Pg on defense. If Amen is your starting PG, probably in 25, he will guard the SG, but play point on offense. This year, if Sheppard plays at all it will be in garbage time until the 2nd half of the season. The only way he gets more playing time is if FVV goes down which forces Amen and Jalen into the PG role. I can’t believe that Ime will supplant Cam in the rotation unless he really regresses with his shooting. Sheppard might get Holiday’s minutes at some point. If we don’t make a trade our nine man rotation will be
    FVV
    Green
    Amen
    Jabari
    Sengun

Cam
    Adams
    Brooks
    Tari

One of Amen, FVV, or Green will need to be in the lineup at all times to handle the ball.

glimmertwins likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sheppard will instantly be a more reliable ball handler than Green.

Y2JT likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Neither are centers in reality. Wemby and Chet are Sf’s on offense and PF’s at most on defense. Blocks are great, but they do not define who is best at defense. Wemby had 5 blocks the game Sengun went off for 40+. I don’t see either of those guys putting on enough muscle to play center on the low post either offensively or defensively. Both are great players, they just aren’t centers in my book. I actually think Chet has the better career of the two.