1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.5%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.3%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.8%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.3%
  7. Rob Dillingham

5.0%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.1%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.1%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

This is an example excellent point and one I have tried to make concerning Alpren Sengun. When a player is very highly skilled at a young age and has an excellent IQ for the game - it makes it a lot easier for them to improve and improve in a more linear manner. We see it with Sengun, saw it with Harden and Bird and Luka.

Sheppard has a high level skill set and a strong basketball IQ. He is unlikely to struggle as much as raw or medium level basketball IQ guys.

2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I like Edey if we trade back, not if we’re picking at #3

ArtV likes this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Did not know Williams was that short always seemed like he was taller then that

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The one thing that keeps me from being on board is that I've only seen fans talk about Sheppard as being a good/great passer that clearly can be a starting PG in the NBA. As in I have yet to read any scouting report from major public analysts/scouts who claim this. This is one of those things where IF it's general consensus that Sheppard projects to be even an average playmaking PG in the NBA, then he should be mocked everywhere to go #2 to Washington, and would've been a #1 candidate if Atlanta doesn't already have Trae. And that the Rockets wouldn't even be in consideration to draft him.

saleem likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Good call out on Deron Williams.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

His quick decision making, ball movement, transition passing and vision are some of the consistent positives I've seen in his scouting videos.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't shoot 53% on 3pters and be overated....he can play.

DD

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Who are the major analysts/scouts you're referring to?

I'm fairly certain guys like Hollinger, Vecenie (and Bryce), KOC, No Ceilings, Hoop Intellect, etc have all generally though highly of Reed's passing, vision, and feel. I think there are some concerns about his self creation and ball handling (i.e., picking up the ball too much) among some, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone strongly suggest he couldn't play PG due to his lack of passing ability.

(I can grab links and quotes later if you'd like...my memory did fail me earlier, so *maybe* I'm wrong)

RollingWave likes this.
  9. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Aside from picking up the ball a bit too early and generally playing for safer passes in the half court (which makes the fact that he still leads the team in assists even more amazing. ) he also doesn't pass very well one-handed on the move, like for all the crap we give Jalen his best pass is a live dribble pocket pass and that is something Reed doesn't show much right now.

However, I think that could be learned, and also one of his major selling points is that even if he doesn't learn he's still super useful in other ways.

He might be more of a Jeremy Lin type of point guard (i.e he can't really kill you in straight-up iso against primary but operates very well in pick and rolls.) but if he's that with his jump shot that's massive. It's not like Fred Van Vleet is this kill guys in straight-up iso guy either, there aren't nearly as many of those guys around anyway.

#1509 RollingWave, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
    RC Cola likes this.
  10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think it will come down to Sheppard, Castle, or Clingan if they stay at the 3rd pick.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think the thing with Reed Sheppard is: he is quick and has a good handle, but he is clearly a tier below other smallish really effective guards like Trae Young or Steph Curry. So he is not the one who will break his man down one on one and then pass to the open man or create his own shot. He needs something to create shots - either a screen or a defensive mix up or anything like that. If he would be able to do that, I think we'd be talking about a clear #1 prospect, despite his size.

Topic can do that - but he can't shoot very well and also plays subpar defense. I really like both as a prospect and usually you would say the one with the measurements that can also create shots has the higher upside. But there is something about Sheppard that really intrigues me - his shooting, feel for the game, sneaky athleticism and defensive intensity. Right now I am more and more worried, that Sheppard goes #2.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just informing that Salaun might be on the move up. Here he is connected to the Spurs.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing about the draft is there are players that never develop, instant contributors and players that take longer but you could see their progress....

Sounds like Shepp is the instant contributor with a high floor but limited ceiling because he is already so good.

Amen is already decent but can become much much better.

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nook I think when discussing young players who are ahead of their time, they're not talking about 20 years olds (Sheppard will be 20 in June) where he's rarely the youngest person on the court.

They're usually talking about the 18 year olds who are already successfully playing mind games against professional veterans. Those are special ones. Sengun at 18 was already the MVP of a top 3 league in the world playing almost entirely with and against professional veterans. Luka is the classic example of course.

I think that's a difference worth noting. I don't think it's fair to put Reed in the same category as Sengun as a prodigy. Not to say Reed is not highly skilled for his age.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

…wait what… he’s still 19 and only a year older than Sengun when he was drafted. Sengun turned 19 in July Shep turns 20 in June. It’s not a 2 year + difference like you imply. Main difference is Sengun was able to play in a pro league at 16 vs Sheppard having to just play HS ball.

I would say other than that they are very similar in that they are highly skilled with extremely high bball IQ for their age

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

For those of y'all not considering Clingan, I think y'all should go watch his highlights reel displaying his defensive impact on the game along with his ability to finish around the rim. Then, imagine him on the defensive end alongside Amen. Then, on the offensive end running the pnr with Amen.

If your imagination isn't going wild with what those two would become you may not know basketball as well as you think.

Thompson & Clingan would very quickly become a household name.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I dont see what would be so great about them in the pnr. Neither one is a threat to shoot the ball from distance. That would make a pnr between those two pretty easy to defend.

clutchdabear and Easy like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Dude you're mixing two things up:

- Sengun was MVP of a league that's considered the best outside the NBA and Spain by most American scouts. That means starting at age 17 he's crushing professional players while Reed at 19 is crushing 19-22 year old American college players. This is to address the idea that Shepard is a similar prodigy. Can't be considered a prodigy if you're just a 19 year old beating other 19/20 year olds.

- In age yes of course Sheppard is younger. The difference is only 2 years. However Sheppard is a standard age for an NBA draft. He's not one of the youngest. I haven't looked it up for this draft but a guy imminently turning 20 tends to be the 10th-15th youngest in the draft. To put that into perspective, Bari/Green/Sengun/Cam were all drafted younger than him. This should be somewhat of a positive for Reed though, he's not a natural talent or elite vision guy, it's good he chose to polish his skills. People have different paths to greatness and that's fine.

RudyTBag likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My point is, we cannot assume the opposite either.

clutchdabear likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Edey can make NBA 3s, I don’t know how opposing teams can guard that.

mikol13 and leebigez like this.