1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.4%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.8%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.3%
  7. Rob Dillingham

5.0%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

not sure how legit ... [​IMG]

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So why again are you "sold" on 6'10 poor man's Jabari Smith that can't shoot? Is it just "because tall"? The guy got destroyed in the G league....

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This would be stupid

4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Reed Shephard white guy comparisons. Ceiling JJ Reddick. Floor Matt Maloney.

5. R=$

R=$ Member

From another Website* Nice Trade option!

1. Memphis Grizzlies receive: Jae'Sean Tate, Jock Landale and No. 3 pick

Houston Rockets receive: Marcus Smart and No. 9 pick

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think folks are missing the boat on Dillinger. He is Trae Young offensively. He is currently a bad defensive player, but the jury is out on whether he can become better or not. Shephard does not have the handles, but is definitely a better schooled defensive player. I think either would be a solid pick at 3.

Castle may also be better than advertised, but the coaching staff would have to be convinced that he can become an outside shooter to help this team. I’m of the thought, especially in a draft like this one, that you put players in BPA tiers, and use team needs as a factor in your decision. Those team needs may not just be about the immediate on court deficiencies, but also how they may compliment other moves you are planning to make. For instance, if FVV is on the trade block then maybe you need to look at potential backup PG’s. If Jalen is on the trade block then maybe another position is more important.

Unlike, others I trust Stone when it comes to drafting. Not so sure on the trade front and how much Fertita might interfere. My biggest fear for this team is breaking up the core and future flexibility for a 2nd tier star that only marginally improves our team (like Donovan Mitchell).

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Buzelis can't shoot well and he can't handle contact at all. He's isn't a finisher at the basket like Castle. Castle isn't a good 3 point shooter, but he can do everything else pretty well.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Paying Paul George huge money until he's 38 years old doesn't excite me. If he were six years younger, then sure. When you have a young and talented roster like the Rockets, paying a big price in trade assets and a large salary for a player in their mid-30s seems crazy. Unless, of course, you think PG13 would make us instant contenders. Nothing against PG13, same goes for any older player no matter how great they were/are...Durant, Lebron, Kawahi, etc. It's the same reason that I didn't want to pay Harden last offseason.

#1368 aelliott, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't mind that. I hope Knecht will be available at 9.

10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Take Reed Sheppard and be grateful we jumped up to 3. No need to get fancyl

mikol13, clutchdabear, Arnel and 5 others like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As long as the 3 players are Tate, Jalen and Samuels.

DD

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

For who? It would depend on the 3 players. Tate, Landale, Uncle Jeff sure. Any of our core hell no.

13. jb86

jb86 Member

I think he is fools gold. He’s not built for championship moments.

Little Bit and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Depends upon whom you consider Core - I mean PG would be a great addition to this team and accelerate others growth, whom do you have to give up?

I think the team might be willing to let go of Jalen they already looked at trading him this year, and he was ready to go as well - so if the package was him and some others - sure, why not?

You slot Cam in at SG and you are at least as good, or you sign KPJ off the scrap heap and you are better.

DD

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Even the number 3 pick is too much.
    PG has proven he isn’t that guy

16. aelliott

Handles don't necessarily equate to being a good PG. Many will argue that Kyrie has the best handles ever or is at least in the conversation, but he's never been really good at being a PG. Sure, he can get his own shot, but he's in his 13th season and has yet to average 7 assists per game despite having the ball in his hands a whole lot (Career usage 29.2). The flip side is John Stockton, he was as plain vanilla/fundemental as it gets but he's the all time assist king. Modern day, look at Tyrese Haliburton, he doesn't have crazy handles, yet he just let the league in assists. Being a great PG has more to do with intelligence and feel for the game. The top 7 assist men in the league this season were Haliburton, Young, Doncic, Jokic, Harden, James and Sabonis. How many of those guys have crazy handles? Most of them have a very high BBIQ, that's what makes them great.

Castle has potential, but what are we going to do with another 6'4"/6'5" wing player? We're currently stacked at the SG/SF spot with Green, Thompson, Brooks, Whitmore and Eason. I'm not sure how you get minutes for all those guys already. Would Castle even see the floor for us?

I do agree with you about fearing that they give away a bunch of the young guys to get an older player who won't make us a contender but will eat up a huge part of the cap.

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

THEY NEED TO DRAFT THE NEXT GOAT, BRONNY JAMES!!!

DaDakota likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - I don't see it personally but he is very young and I have been wrong before.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. aelliott

For anyone that may be wondering, a max deal for PG13 would be $221M for 4 years ( $55.25M/Year). The "Over 38" rule in the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement prevents him from getting a 5 year deal.

saleem and BigMaloe like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I respect your opinions and I am a fan of Topic, I think he is one of the 2-3 best players in this draft - but Reed Sheppard isn't "far behind" Topic as a passer and distributor. The more tape I have watched, the clearer it is that Sheppard is a very good passer that makes very few mistakes on a basketball court.