1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is a good draft.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 14, 2024.

1. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Sarr who's probably going 1 is basically Derrick Lively who went 11. So yeah not great.

clutchdabear likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's silly. If you add Wemby to this draft and bump everyone down one pick, then you have a strong draft.

All the top 5 guys would be picked in the top 10 of any average draft.

So by weak draft really all they mean is you're picking a few picks lower which is minor in the grand scheme of things. So with the #3 pick we're getting a top 10 prospect in a strong draft. Both of those are a very good chance at a max-worthy player.

You know how you know the predictions of the draft are whack? Because you only ever hear it's really strong or it's really weak. There's never someone predicting an average draft. That's not a logical human pattern, that's a business pattern. That's how you identify that the opinion is a regurgitation of propaganda/marketing from somewhere.

peleincubus likes this.
  3. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Yeah I don't think they are bad players - but in the past few drafts, they would be players that were picked in the end of the first round.

Also, I think Edey is better than Clingan so I find it odd that Clingan is getting way more hype than Edey.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nonsense. Sarr is a way better prospect than Lively was. Sarr goes high in any draft.

xaos and Sooty like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

UConn played a team game and won that game albeit Clingan's mediocre stat line.

Edey was a one man show and lost that final.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

I can go back 30 years and every draft produces a player to make an all star team in the top 3 picks (even weak drafts). There's always a chance at picking a bust, but there's also a chance we pick an all star. Rockets need to do their research

Aruba77 likes this.
  7. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Almost 6'2...6'1 3/4 without shoes at combine

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That 2000 Draft was horrible and I get that KMJ's dad was a one time All Star but he had to be the weakest All Star of All Time.

I kept on thinking the same thing....that Kenyon Martin was just a glorified enforcer who happened to bully play a little.

And that Bargnani or Andrew Bogut would possibly be slightly better than Kenyon Martin Senior Number 1 Pick.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I actually think this is going to be a good draft too. I'm not sure the top end talent will be as strong, but there's plenty of nice players available. I think the talent is somewhat underrated this year.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

I see what you did there! ;)

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jason Kidd made Kenyon Martin relevant. All those easy Alley oop passes for dunks.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

you can always find one gem. you just have to find them.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Interesting sidenote about Edey...I was looking at him agility numbers and he posted better numbers this year at the combine than last year in everything except standing vert which he jumped 26" both times. But his max vert improved.

He's been putting in some work.

Also goes to show that guys can train and make some marginal improvements in these areas regarding athleticism.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This is from 2020 about that draft:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nba-draft-top-picks-weak-class-2020-11

That draft had some pretty good players in it.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...iburton-tyrese-maxey/6d816bd280693986d9f9555b

xaos likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member