1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reed Sheppard

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rokman, Apr 17, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's cool but doesn't look like top 10 material to me.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ringer had Killian Hayes no 1. They just do stuff for kicks and clicks.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is 6'2 bro. He is athletic for a 6'2 but not vs guys who have 6 inches on him. He has high percentage but also really low volume, why shoot 50% from 3 but only 12 ppg? He reminds me of Jordan Hawkins.

Hawkins turned into a contributor and efficient player for NOP, but ultimately isn't worth a top 10 pick IMO.

He can be the next Curry, but since there's only been 1 Steph so far I don't think that's a smart bet.

#83 roslolian, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    No Worries likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, you are entitled to your own opinion. I personally think he can develop into a higher percentage shot taker, and think his passing skills, steals, and lack of turnovers are great skills to go along with the best 3 PT shooter from college in decades. A threat from behind the arc will help us draw defenders away from our other players, who he can pass to with great skill. Court vision is a trait some guys lack.

5. j@amc

j@amc Member

I'm not sure if Sheppard is top 5. But I think he has to be in the top 10 in this draft.

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Many experts agree.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cody Williams and Knecht can also shoot while having higher upside. If you want a play maker might as well get Topic or Castle.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sure he will be in the top 10 due to hype but I think ultimately a lot of other prospects in this class gonna be better than him.

Like Keegan Murray he was guaranteed to be in the top 5 but in a redraft he won't be top 5 anymore.

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Williams and Knecht turn the ball over more and Topic and Castle are terrible 3 PT shooters. Like I said, I want a great 3 PT shooter with great passing skills too, who doesn't turn the ball over much. They would all be good prospects but I just lean towards Sheppard.

No Worries and kspires999 like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Williams and Knecht are the main stars of their team. They have the ball and handle it a lot to create for others that's why they get lots of turnovers. Reed was more of an off ball shooter it would be crazy if he had a lot of turnovers since once he gets it he is just passing it away or shooting.

Look at Aaron Holiday shooting and a/to ratio. Per 36 his stats are really similar to Reed Sheppard. 4 AST to 1.5 to omg what a playmaker.

#90 roslolian, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not debating anything. I just posted who I want and so be it. At the end of the day the Rockets will choose who they want anyway and we will get to watch Jalen throw hundreds of bricks from behind the arc again all season. :eek:

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he is throwing bricks that means he is better than Sheppard even if Sheppard can shoot.

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hahahahaha. You won't find any serious contender in the league with their highest volume shot taker only making 6.8 of 16.2 field goals a game. That's bad. Good grief. Throwing bricks at high volume isn't a winning approach.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

FIFY.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

At least Jalen is doing it in the NBA Sheppard can't even get his volume up in the freaking NCAA.

What's Sheppards March Madness performance again? Lmao.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I can't take you seriously. You pick one bad game even though nobody in decades has shot as proficiently as him in a season, and seem to ignore the fact that Kentucky never would have made it past a much higher ranked Tenn to begin with if it wasn't for Reed Sheppard shooting 70% from behind the arc in that tournament.

Meanwhile Jalen had numerous goose head digit games from behind the arc, and numerous games shooting 20% or less. That's with 3 extra years of practice and experience in a basketball league. :eek: If you think he's a clutch shooter you can depend on, you aren't basing it on his averages from any season yet, and you can't predict Sheppard wont be starter worthy over time either.

#96 deb4rockets, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sheppard has really low volume if that 50% is real he wouldn't have scored only 12 ppg. Yes MM was just one game but that's also his fault if Shephard didn't score just 3 pts then they'd have more games to play. Having high percentage is great but if you have low volume that kinda takes away from the percentage. Why is Sheppard shooting so little? Is it because he can't get open? I don't really know but with his percentages he should scoring 20 ppg a game.

Jalen is doing it in the NBA which is a lot harder than college. Lots of college players put up numbers in college but lay an egg in the NBA like Johnny Davis or Jimmer Fredette. It's ok to mock Jalen if Sheppard is scoring lights out in the NBA already but till he does it in the NBA doesn't make sense to compare him and Jalen as of yet.

Sheppard likely won't be a bust in the NBA but for a top 10 pick I expect more upside than a role player but that's just me.

#97 roslolian, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  18. j@amc

j@amc Member

6'1.75 weight ?
    6'3.25 wingspan
    7'9.50 standing reach

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Did you consider Green a starting level player the past 3 years as our starting SG? He ranked in the bottom tier of the league in his shooting proficiency. He was just a starter in training wheels if you ask me. Seems to me there are role players around the league better than him when it comes to shooting. Better bench players. You have no idea if Sheppard can't develop into a starting player with a year of NBA development and time coming in off the bench. Not all top picks come out playing top tier or even mid-tier in the league right away. Even starting Green 3 years didn't do that, and he was a #2 pick.

If a 4th year of Green as a starter is still full of piss poor shooting streaks, then it's been a waste of time. If he finally starts shooting consistently good for a full a year then and he is free to sign to the highest bidder after his rookie contract. Or, we sign him prematurely to a starting salary long term contract and just hope it isn't a starter level amount if he's gonna be taking us on highs and lows and lows and lows, and highs, and lows and lows.

I doubt Sheppard expects the Prima Donna treatment Jalen did. He would probably be great developing into a starter role from the bench, and more mature about it.

#99 deb4rockets, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  20. j@amc

j@amc Member

42-inch vertical. Are you serious, Reed?

[​IMG]