1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with this.

As the 10th player on the bench, Dubon is vastly better than what most other teams have. As a starting CF he is average at best.

By starting him in CF more than 10% of the time, the team is squandering a potential advantage.

As for regular starters I understand what you are saying. I don't think there needs to be 9 everyday starters, but there needs to be defined roles and expectations.

For example: Jake Meyers is a very good but flawed CF. He isn/ good vs RHP and he does not have a good arm.

There are times he should start and times the team could be better with someone else.

So name him the starter vs all LHP and/or set the expectation that he will not start against teams that are aggressive on the bases. Start him when flyball pitchers start and sit him when ground ball pitchers start.

It doesn't matter to me specifically but have a defined role so everyone knows who is going to start when. And stick to it.

Stock the roster w/ fringe guys who cover other fringe guys weaknesses.

Maximize potential by putting guys in the best situations to succeed and defining their roles.

I didn't agree with all of Dusty's lineup juggling but one thing I read and absolutely agree with us that every guy knew the night before if he was going to start.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tyler Guilfoil allowed three hits, walked one, and struck out six over 5.2 shutout frames for Corpus today.

Zach Daniels scored the game's only run thanks to a balk.

Snake Diggit and BlindHog like this.
  5. raining threes

What I look at is where the Stros were with Luhnow and where they are now.

I also look at what proteges like Elias and Stearns have done and think they need to get back to the model that made the Stros successful.

The Beard likes this.
  6. raining threes

Meyers would make a fine fourth OF. I wanted Brown to bring in a guy like Pham last off-season or trade for one of the Cards OF'ers. They chose to go with Meyers and Chas and are paying the price for those decisions. Right now I'm for bringing up Leon and playing Loperfido in LF with Dubon getting a significant amount of time in the OF.

Of course none of this is going to really matter because the pitching isn't good enough to make the playoffs.

Nook likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Tommy Pham is a shitbag

Tomstro, Bregatron and The Beard like this.
  8. raining threes

What makes you say this?

I haven't read anything bad about him.

9. Buck Turgidson

#929 Buck Turgidson, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
    Nook, Tomstro and raining threes like this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Loper needs to be at 1B if we ain’t gonna go get a legit 1B

11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get the continued focus on Meyers
    If you wrote down all of our problems in a notebook, you'd be on page three or four before you got to Meyers.
    I wouldn't mind seeing if Leon could provide a spark, but Meyers is a net positive for the team.
    Chas, Abreu and Bregman are the problems on Offense. The entire pitching staff other than Blanco and a few relievers is a problem. I call Javier a push so far since he can't stay healthy.

12. The Beard

Yep, Meyers has the 4th highest OPS on the team. He is baseball stupid, but he is far from our problem

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I've never seen you run anywhere, but I guarantee you could go from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to home on Jake.

When you give up an extra base to anyone on any ball hit to CF (remember Biggio out there?)....this is not good. He's just not playable out there. LF or nothing.

raining threes likes this.
  14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Jake Meyers average throw is 83.9 mph according to baseball savant. Cedric Mullins is 84. Michael Harris is 86.3. Chas is 81.5. Bellinger is 82.3. Corbin Carroll is 82.2. Trout 84.2

Meyers has a bad arm but I wonder if these other teams are so fixated on their guys.

phasors28, The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Cannon arm for CF is nice but I suppose the only *real* prerequisite for the position has always been "run fast and get to every ball that the corner OFs can't get to."

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

OF Zach Cole is gonna play some rehab games in the FCL. Not sure what his injury was but he and 3B Zach Dezenzo were 2 of Houston’s top prospects coming into the season and they’ve yet to play. Cole has been strikeout prone so I have not been very high on him, but he’s gotten some hype and like a lot of Houston’s prospects he has a very high ceiling due to his power/speed combo. Getting Cole and Dezenzo back healthy would be a big boost to the AA lineup.

Power/speed/strikeout guys in Houston’s system: Shay Whitcomb, Pedro Leon, Jordan Brewer, Jacob Melton, Kenedy Corona, Zach Daniels, Zach Dezenzo, Zach Cole (basically all the Zach’s), Tyler Whitaker, Logan Cerny

#936 Snake Diggit, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    The Beard likes this.
  17. The Beard

I get your point

But I just left after two weeks in Italy eating pizza and pasta and bread three times a day

I’m going one base at a time buddy

raining threes and IdStrosfan like this.
  18. vince

vince Member

Where will the Astros OF be after Kyle Tucker bolts via Free Agency? Eek….

The Astros will need to pony up in FA to fix the much depleted OF positions. I can see that offering 250-300 million to Tucker isn’t going to happen.

There was a time I was sky high on Pedro Leon, but he’s probably going to be a career backup, if he even makes it to the ML for any considerable amount of time

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tucker still has another year with Houston after this, and there’s still over 2/3 of this season to go. Any of the high ceiling guys in the upper minors (Melton, Leon, Corona, Cole, Daniels) plus Cabbage and Loperfido could make a move to establish themselves as an everyday caliber player. But even if they all bust, Houston should have the money to go get a lesser free agent in the Josh Reddick mold, assuming they are still contending. But that’s only viable if Houston has hitters at other positions step up to make up the production. Thinking about the current lineup without Tucker is a joke as it stands.

raining threes and vince like this.