1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Markkanen is my #1. But not sure how that works with Bari, and no one gets a good deal out of Ainge. Mitchell would be on the short list as well.

#2021 Aruba77, May 3, 2024
    Last edited: May 3, 2024
    OremLK likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope Stone and TF/ PF won't go that route.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really like Markkanen but he wouldn't top my list.

This team lacks a star that can generate offense. Markkanen isn't that guy - he was assisted on 84.1% of his shots made and only assisted on 9.5% of the teams made FG's while he was on the court.

Ingram gives you the most versatility and can create offense for himself and others. Only assisted on 47.8% of his shots while assisting on 26.7% of the teams made baskets.
    Murray can generate offense too with a 27.9% assist rate and is only assisted on 39.4% of his makes.

Either of those guys probably make you forget about Jalen Green sooner than later.

4. fattz

fattz Member

For what?
    Green and Brooks —> yes
    Or
    Green, Brooks & 24 Brooklyn pick—> maybe to much idk
    Or
    More —> no

I like the thought but where / when do we say that all we are giving.

kspires999 likes this.
  5. ilias

ilias Member

It’s fine to disagree on players.
    I’d pay 35-40, but indeed there may be teams that will give him the full max. If so, I’d pass.

kspires999 and daywalker02 like this.
  6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Based on the last couple pages of this thread, I think people will be surprised at what it takes to get some of these younger players who have made at least 1 all star appearance prior to the trade (Ingram/Markkanen).

I would ask that you go look at recent trades for that level player.

You won't get them for just a combination of players you don't like.

It will either be for legit young guys who are already showing great potential or a treasure trove of picks or some combination of the two.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This reminds me of the pending Siakam extension lmao.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Lauri is perfect next to Alpi on offense, like absolutely perfect fit. By every metric I can find he's one of the best off-ball shotmakers in the league.

Defensively, I don't know.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Keep trying to think of ways we could acquire Maxey

[​IMG]

How does Embiid/Lauri/FVV compare to Embiid/Maxey/whatever Morey can do with his cap space in free agency? I feel like those three are a great fit together but not sure what else Morey might have up his sleeve that might be better.

BigMaloe, Strawberry Gum and xaos like this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

Pretty creative trade! I imagine Morey and Danny still tries to squeeze more but it's pretty fair imo.

BigMaloe, Strawberry Gum and OremLK like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Yes they would ask more. Rockets have a lot of pieces, but consolidating a trade for a top 25 player is tough. The sum of parts might not add up nicely for an upper guy.

76ers is even more of a buyer than us this upcoming summer with their new cap space. They likely run it back with Maxey and Embiid. Get most out of Embiid's window. In the low possibility they blow it up, Embiid might go before Maxey due to age.

They are buyers, they're looking to add than subtract.

Maxey solid, but it's his situation that make him more valuable to 76ers. Their team is all in, to make them pivot, Rockets offering 5 of 6 core + all the picks might not even sway.

#2031 TimDuncanDonaut, May 3, 2024
    subtomic and J.R. like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree with this.

As far as Ingram, he's looking for a big payday, like near max money. So the same reservation our fan base has with how much to extend Jalen and Alp, the GM would have to deal with it if Stone pursues Ingram. Only difference is Ingram is more known commodity (which is a good thing).

Flaws and all. Ingram was shutdown by Dort. There's a fit issue with Zion. Despite being asked by their coach to shoot more than 3's, he opts for middy. So have to factor 'fit' if he comes here. He won't instantly solve the space issue per se, because midrange jump shots.​

------- separate note on trade strategy and outlook ---

I look at Detroit, they will try to extend Cade. Same draft class: Jalen and Alp, but Rockets likely could/will wait one more year. Detroit knows Cade's worth, Rockets still have questions.

Detroit might also shop Ivey and Duren, their younger prospects. I bring this up less to trade with Detroit, but more in considering the strategy. If we really want a more known/better commodity, consider dangling some of the younger prospects. In trade negotiations, Stone would be selling upside.

As a byproduct, consolidate some of the players on the squad. Not enough minutes to go around.

#2032 TimDuncanDonaut, May 3, 2024
  13. Aruba77

I think that’s fair. And it’s why the odds are that the rockets stand pat with their rookie scale talent and let internal growth account for win-loss progress next year. Few if any guys on the market are worth a couple of our best prospects. I like Markkanen. But if he’s gonna cost more than say Bari and 24’ & 27’ 1st rounders, is that worth it? I’d have a hard time paying more than that.

kspires999 and OremLK like this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Funny enough - also one of the reasons why we don't need to rush to max out Sengun this offseason considering the last time we saw him in a Rockets uni, he was being taken off the court in a wheelchair with a towel over his face. I can't restate this enough to the SOFs - Sengun can still get the max, but there is no reason at all to do it now given a number of outstanding questions that remain about him. Yeah, he's probably okay but like the difference between buying an expensive house with only a partial inspection and buying an expensive house with a full inspection is a pretty big difference.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's a good question .... and one that I just don't have an answer to right now.

He's on a relatively cost effective contract now, maybe that's part of the reason many like the idea of adding him .... his new max would be an average of $49m per which is a 38% increase on the current figure.

His skillset is fairly unique, even among NBA players. There's only a handful of 6'8" guys you can have run the offense as perimeter players.

Two things would make that decision a little easier - first is playing 82 instead of 60, the other would be better shooting - he shoots about league average from distance for his career. If he were a 40% guy it's a whole lot easier to pay him that 30% max .... it makes him a significantly more efficient player in general.

As a secondary playmaker, he does everything we want out of Green .... but from a forward position.

$49m ..... I don't know.

Y2JT likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't disagree at all .... the numbers bear out exactly what you've said - he's an off ball shot maker.

Problem is, we don't have that main offensive facilitator and that's the hardest guys to find.

Maybe if you think Sengun is a real #1 option, Markkanen is absolutely a great fit. I'm just not sold that Sengun is your #1 - the guy you build your roster around.

The reason he's so high on my list is that Markkanen would fit well with just about anyone who can get him open looks, not just Sengun, plug him in offensively and he's going to produce.

Defensively what does that pairing at the 4/5 look like?!

Aruba77 and OremLK like this.
  17. HealthyHamstring

Steven Adams

for

2031 PHX 1st Round Pick (little to no protections)
    Nassir Little (salary filler)
    Damion Lee (salary filler)
    Drew Eubanks (salary filler)

All the players we receive are salary filler and would most likely never play.

I was excited about the Adams trade and I look forward to him playing for us next year, but if we could take advantage of the Suns desperation and essentially turn 3 2nd Round picks into a Suns future 1st Round Pick post KD/Booker/Beal, you do it in 2 seconds, especially with the way Landale ended the season.

#2037 HealthyHamstring, May 3, 2024
    Y2JT, Aruba77 and peleincubus like this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm like partway sold on Sengun being the #1. Not at like, ATW levels of faith in him, but I think he is about 75% of the way there and young enough that you can easily envision him unlocking the other 25%.

But yeah, the defense with Lauri and Sengun could be pretty questionable. It seems like Lauri should be a better defender than he is with his size and quickness, but he's just not.

19. Aruba77

Yep, to your point, especially because Landale looked like a great backup center the 2nd half of the season. I doubt we get a 2031 pick for Adams, but there’s a decent chance we could get that #22 pick for him. I wouldn’t want to draft that pick, but maybe it’s part of a package with the Brooklyn pick for something significant? Very interesting.

20. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Ingram - Not an Ime player or a Rockets FO player. No dog in him, and underwhelming by the analytics.

Lauri - 100% getting renegotiated and extended by the Jazz this summer. A done deal. He’s not on the market.

Trae - Not an Ime player or Stone player. Totally incompatible with Sengun or Jalen.

Mitchell - A possibility, but he has to choose Houston first, and all signs are he wants to be on the coast.

Bridges - Not good enough to be a needle mover. An excellent role player.

Dejounte - Not good enough to be a needle mover, and not good off the ball or defensively.

Time to move on to different names.