1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. vince

vince Member

505 feet is insane!

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

505 feet can't be right... can it?

That seems insane.

vince likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My updated Top 30 Astros prospects list after April:

1. OF Jacob Melton 50 Got hot the last 2 weeks to make for a decent month. Potential star; needs to walk more.
    2. OF Joey Loperfido 50
    3. P AJ Blubaugh 50 Pitching like a ToR prospect; blew thru AA and is excelling in AAA, could help Houston soon.
    4. P Spencer Arrighetti 50
    5. 3B Zach Dezenzo 45+ Injury was very bad timing for the Astros
    6. SS Brice Matthews 45+ Stock down; striking out a lot, not playing much, and not hitting for power; could be hurt
    7. OF Luis Baez 45+ Stock down; not hitting well in early going in High A and is pretty much an all bat prospect
    8. P Alonzo Tredwell 45+
    9. OF Pedro Leon 45+ Looking pretty good, stock up a bit as he is playing well, can help the big league team in multiple ways
    10. P Jake Bloss 45+ Stock up; big opportunity in AA
    11. OF Kenedy Corona 45+ Stock down; partially bad luck but should be dominating in repeat of AA
    12. IF Chase Jaworsky 45+ Stock way up, he could be breaking out and he is doing a lot of good things, the power will come later
    13. OF Nehomar Ochoa Jr. 45 Stock way up, really young but looks like a monster and is producing against guys 2-3 years older
    14. OF Kenni Gomez 45 Good slash line but high k rate and low power
    15. P Julio Robaina 45 Underrated prospect; he has dominated AA and is very likely to help a big league team eventually
    16. P Colton Gordon 45 Just got back from injury
    17. P Andrew Taylor 45 Still too many walks but I like what I've seen so far, won't know much until he gets to Corpus
    18. OF Cesar Hernandez 45 Great start and could be a fast riser
    19. P Forrest Whitley 45 Debuted in the big leagues, hurt yet again, but he looked pretty good those last 2-3 outings
    20. P Alex Santos 45 If you take away the 2 HR he gave up he has been extremely good, he's young and could break out
    21. IF Will Wagner 45 Lack of extra base hits brings down his slash line but gotta love the bb/k numbers, he will be at least a AAAA guy
    22. P Trey Dombroski 40 Homer prone in High A but that could be where he's pitching, still time
    23. OF/1B Cam Fisher 40 Hitting for monster power but that 37% k rate is ugly especially for a guy limited defensively
    24. OF Colin Barber 40 Proof that I do not know jack **** about prospects, he was my #1 prospect in the system in Feb; not sure what's going on but he's fallen apart.
    25. P Jose Fleury 40
    26. P Aaron Brown 40
    27. C Miguel Palma 40 won't hit for power but he will play in the majors if his defense is there; currently hurt
    28. IF Camilo Diaz 40
    29. P James Hicks 40
    30. IF Jeron Williams 40 Off to an amazing start but only 38 pa so far
    Other grade 40:
    C: Juan Santander, Luke Berryhill, Collin Price; Price and Santander are crushing the ball but both are limited defensively so need to get into the upper levels to see what they are
    IF: Jacob Amaya, Jesus Bastidas, Shay Whitcomb, Waner Luciano, Tommy Sacco Jr.: I like what I've seen from Amaya, and Bastidas has come out of nowhere to look like a guy who might make a good AAAA IF, Whitcomb is what he is but he has value
    OF: Zach Cole, Quincy Hamilton, Tyler Whitaker, Esmil Valencia: Hamilton has taken a big step back, Whitaker has a fatal strikeout flaw, Cole is hurt
    P: Alain Pena, Derek True, Miguel Ullola, Misael Tamarez, Ryan Gusto, Rhett Kouba, Raimy Rodriguez, Sandy Mejia, Blair Henley, Jose Guedez, Drew Strotman, Jaime Melendez: A mix of guys with falling stock and sleeper types

Other prospects of note:
    C: Will Bush, John Garcia, Garret Guillemette, Luis Encarnacion, Jancel Villarroel, Carlos Cauro, Kedaur Trujillo
    IF: Jeremy Arocho, Alberto Hernandez, Pascanel Ferreras, Ryan Johnson, German Ramirez, Rafael Ramirez, Cristopfer Gonzalez, Cristian Gonzalez, Bryan Arias, Alejandro Nunez: I will play close attention to Ferreras when he gets to AA
    OF: Zach Daniels, Logan Cerny, Oliver Carrillo, Anthony Huezo, Karniel Pratt, Luis Rives, Eduardo Perez
    P: All of them

There will be a lot of variance as guys are being processed faster than in previous years. Aside from Corpus' current infield and rotation, I really like this system and still think it's only 2-3 elite prospects away from being well above average.

travfrancis, bigdaddy, Nook and 4 others like this.
  4. Radricky

Radricky Member

Cabbage is coming back

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. vince

vince Member

Oh wow… thank you for the cliff notes. That was very informative. Always appreciate your hard work and especially that you share with the rest of us.

scott_summers and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Disappointed to hear about Luis Baez. Hopefully he can get it going again soon.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am not too worried, he will likely figure it out, he is still very young. But he had a chance to REALLY breakout and get to AA this season, so far it looks like he will take a full year in High A.

AznH-TownFan and Zen Tabak like this.
  9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alain Pena and Yeriel Santos both turned in nice performances for Fayetteville.

Pena: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 6 K
    Santos: 4 IP, H, 2 ER (1 on RBI single, 1 on groundout), BB, 4 K

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alex Santos and Jose Fleury both stumbled out of the gate to start the year in Corpus but they both had solid starts to their May.

Santos: 5 IP, 2 H (solo HR allowed), 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
    Fleury: 4 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, 2 K

Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
  11. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

So is Brice Matthews looking like a bust?

12. Nook

Nook Member

Everyone did. It came out later that he had a lot of confidence and self worth issues.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Yup - he has had a bad situation between missing over a year because of Cuba - then COVID - then the Astros insisting he play the infield … and now an afterthought. In hindsight he would have been better signing with someone other than the Astros.

I had a Cubs scout tell me that Leon has the type of skill set where he may play better in the big leagues than AA and AAA.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Too early to tell. I really didn’t like feel or instincts for hitting - felt the same way about DeShields when the Astros took him in round 1.

When the Astros took Matthews, Brown said that fans need to be patient with Matthews and that it may take him awhile to figure it out. Why take him? Has a similar skill set as Barry Larkin but VERY raw for a college player and inconsistent from play to play.

He has started slow - but too early to call him headed towards being a bust. He is also battling some nagging injuries.

Brown took a lot of very high upside players - a very ambitious draft. The early returns are very promising but it’s really really too soon to know.

15. Buck Turgidson

16. Buck Turgidson

Why in the hell would you want to replace Dubon?

eta: my bad, I assume you misspelled "Kessinger"

#836 Buck Turgidson, May 2, 2024
    Last edited: May 2, 2024
    Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I thought he was a FA after next season because he had 2 arbitrations already. Apparently he’s super 2 and goes through the system 4 times. At a certain point his salary will exceed what you should pay him if you have a ready replacement in minimum wage. Modern day Aledmys Diaz whole let walk when he hit FA.

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

My draft day notes said that he would not stick at SS but he could be a second baseman and an eventual replacement for Altuve if things went really well. At some point in my research I learned that he was a pet project of Brown's before he came to Houston. I took that to be an explanation for drafting him in the first round when he probably could have been picked up late in the second.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My memory tells me there were multiple teams hoping that and all of them picked before the Astros in rd 2.

Nook likes this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Luis Baez (3) and Oliver Carrillo (4) have homered for the North Carolina affiliates.