1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. cbass

cbass Member

Lmao.

I respect you for going down with your delusional ship, I suppose.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The best ability is availability. Jalen is better for that at the very least. You know I’m critical of Jalen, but this isn’t even close at this point.

3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Who is Jalen Green without balls?

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Michael Jackson?

5. invocux

invocux Member

Jazlyn Green

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Jalen Green
    .498 2pt%
    .541 ts%
    .264 ftr

Jamal Murray
    .476 2pt%
    .538 ts%
    .187 ftr

Except Jalen was more efficient and scored more. Rebounded better, facilitated worse. Steals and blocks are a wash. Jamal had a better bpm and vorp but he was also on a 54win team that finished 2nd in the west.

All the "green" maybe makes this seem like he was somehow way better, but they had very similar yr 3s.

Also, in response to elsewhere, not once have i ever compared their styles, because they are very different. But production wise, they had very similar yr 3s.

But i appreciate that you you responded with some semblance of analysis instead of all these off-season Andys who just say "yeah no" when presented with data that breaks their perception in the slightest.

I wish we could have more dialogue around here. Ripe with data, presentations and open minds to opinion changes through intelligent discussion.

Unfortunately, its very similar to politics of my side(opinion) vs your side(opinion) with nobody being willing to change their opinion but rather digging their heels into their opinions.

#106 BigMaloe, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Believe It! likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is a fair point, sir!!!!

DD

MadMax likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

OP's description of Jalen sound very much like Harden, except that Jalen is nowhere near as skilled offensively as Harden.

Harden's criticism is that he is unengaged without the ball, both on offense and on defense. In order to get away with this glaring deficiency, you have to be otherworldly elite when you do have the ball so that the whole team can build around you. Even that, Harden would have had more team success if he would make himself useful off ball at least some of the times.

Rocketeer, subtomic and Mathloom like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden's gripe was also that he held onto the ball too much and was doing too much with it while his teammates ball watched....

He specialized in playing with Embiid, Capela and Zubac.

Roll men and 1 great Center.

Easy likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Guy who posted a 0-0-0 because he was not rostered all season is by definition - not a better NBA player than - literally any NBA player.

Ancient Moabite and BigMaloe like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It also describes Luka Doncic

In fairness to Luka and Harden, when you are guarded 35’-40’ away from the basket and even when giving up the ball your defender still blankets you, you remain extremely value without the ball.

Luka and Harden create a 4x4 game, by passing and still drawing a defender 35’ out. That is tremendous spacing because it is well proven that 4x4 gives the offense a bigger advantage … just like 3x3 is easier and 2x2 is easier. This is especially true when Westbrook is one of the remaining 4 players…it’s extra driving space for him.

D’Antoni would have Harden stand 40’ away from the basket without the ball on the very first possessions of games. It was a strategy.

Luka does the same thing to remove a 5th defender from the possession to give Kyrie more space.

#111 heypartner, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
  12. DaDakota

Plenty of guys not in the NBA are better than some that are....you know better.

DD

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Kevin Porter Jr was waived on October 18 - he got approximately as many NBA job offers this year as you did

If his crimes were as minor as you say - this must mean it was his lack of quality as a player that kept him in the sidelines

AroundTheWorld and BigMaloe like this.
  14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

My point about Cam, as a comparable defender, is specifically about interest and effort. His brain is clicked on and alert when Jalen's isn't. He's determined where Jalen isn't. He understands boxing out; Jalen doesn't or barely tries.

Getting the rotations right is another matter. I give Cam some slack there for being a rookie. But the slack can't last forever.

As to Cam's deficiencies, #1 on my list isn't anything about his defense. It's his tunnel-vision offense. His value in the future will depend on whether he can learn to make plays, not just score. My .02.

leebigez and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Too much negative energy on Sports. How about doing positive in the community. Sports was created as a Distraction.

16. DaDakota

He will be back next year - you will see.

DD

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Hopefully back in jail

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hard stuff - that is the dream.

Ex employee who is a woman beater.
    Current head coach who has a sex scandal with married women
    Current employee who has a kid with a stripper
    Dillon the Villain. Joking.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

We need a graphic of DaDakota and KPJ on the bow of the Titanic in their "We're the kings of the world!" pose.

HardenReturns likes this.
  20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Because they said that Jalen was the on the same level as Ant, would think it is safe to say after what Ant has done that they are not on the same level. Ant is a leader who has found ways to get the most out of vets on his team as the youngest key player and just swept a supposed super team. If you really think that Jalen is on the same level as Ant today, then I'm not sure what else to say to you. No one said it was the same person, I am saying that people are trying to compare Jalen to other guys in the league, and then they change their mind or go quiet once they are proven wrong. Not saying they won't come back, but the Ant / Jalen comp is not really looking good today.

HardenReturns likes this.