1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerry Seinfeld - Unfrosted (Netflix Movie)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I remember watching his coffee show on streaming and thinking his humor and worldview was dated. He makes a lot of similar observations from his 30 yr old sitcom and has clung onto them moreso than Chappelle. He's just less confrontational about it.

2. Buck Turgidson

Seinfeld
    Cheers
    30 Rock
    Brooklyn 99
    South Park
    Parks and Rec
    etc...
    etc...

Good shows are good shows.

Rashmon and Nook like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

GRENDEL, ThatBoyNick and B-Bob like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I liked it, it felt like a Nickelodeon (a kid) movie for adults, not in the way of being vulgar it's a clean family movie, but there's just this simplistic comedy theme that reminded me of 90's kid movies. Kind of refreshing.

Nook, ryan_98, ROCKSS and 1 other person like this.
  6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Tend to agree, once I adjusted my expectation that this wasn't going to be in the same vein of The Founder and something goofier, I had fun with it....

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It was good. Stylized, fast-paced, loads of jokes. Jerry's love letter to the 60s.

The negative reviews are bizarre. It's not some touchstone of cinema, but calling it one of the worst movies of the decade is unhinged.

ROCKSS, Nook and GRENDEL like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Best Pop Tart Flavor:

Frosted Brown Sugar & Cinnamon

I have not eaten a PopTart in 30 years, I assume they still make them and are kid/stoner delicious

Now I want one.

#48 Buck Turgidson, May 6, 2024
    Last edited: May 6, 2024
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

My go to is frosted blueberry once or twice a year........after a night pf partying, pop a couple in the toaster with some milk and its a great treat

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

He was around a lot of funny people - and that helped him a lot.

I would say he was funny. He was also very peculiar. Later he said that he was told by a doctor that he is on the Autism spectrum and that makes perfect sense.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Don't forget about the Funkhouser (Bob Einstein) and Richard Lewis spin off that they are working on. The Larry David/Seinfeld tree will continue on at least another 5 years with those guys sharing a spin off. Should be out in the Fall.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Jerry Seinfeld is an odd guy. He is 70 years old and is about the oldest 70-year-old you will ever come across. He has essentially lived a very sheltered life in someways. By the time he was 35 years old, he was a star and really didn't have to do anything he did not want to do. He has discussed that he has been diagnosed and neuro-divergent and on the spectrum but doesn't care. He was a bachelor for a long time and really lived the life he wanted and did what he wanted. He was almost 40 with a 17-year-old and has only dated a few women. He is married now and has said that he basically stays out of the way and does what he wants.

It is 2024 and he still calls into the same AM radio show that covers the Mets every week or so, like he has for 50 years. He said his favorite food is chicken parmesan and that he avoids adventurous food or drink and dresses with whatever his wife puts in his closet as long as it looks okay.

The guy collects cars and espresso machines.

He is basically the Jewish version of the Catholic Jay Leno.

Having said that - I like him, mostly because he is awkward and weird - I find it funny.

Times are changing and Jerry has been able to live the life he wants, in the cocoon he wants for 40 years - of course he doesn't like change or completely understand it.

13. Buck Turgidson

The Funkhouser bits on Curb YE (also Super Dave) are so brilliant. That guy could play deadpan like no other.

ROCKSS, GRENDEL and Nook like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I've never thought of it like this, but it's spot-on.

So who is Letterman and Conan?

GRENDEL and Nook like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He also feels being a comedian is a true calling. One has to be passionate about it, work at it, and treat it as a profession. Not everybody can do it. And those that do it here/there or think they can do it whenever they want to... he not only disagrees with that but will call out the entire industry to put a stop to that sort of comic.

Definitely could be looked at as a full narcissist, however he was able to pay his due as an up/coming comic and basically had as much sustained as a TV star as any standup comic ever (only paralleled by the dude who tried to play himself as a family guy but was really drugging all the women).

Nook likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would highly reccomened the Einstein documentary on HBO (er Max). Al Brooks was his brother (for the longest time I thought he was Mel Brooks brother, lol) and he shares all the insight one needs to know about why Bob was the way he was.

The Grandmother joke is an all-time classic... but still a close second to the "your cunt is in the sink" one featured on CYE (that apparently Jerry's reaction that ended up on the final cut was genuine as he hadn't heard it).

Rashmon, Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

will watch tonight

Nick likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

He was on television within a year of trying to be a comic/actor - so had some success early. Having said that, I don’t think anyone would claim he doesn’t work hard and he is very disciplined. The busting your ass and keep trying attitude is how a lot of the old timers were. Jay Leno, Rodney Dangerfield and Red Foxx were the same way.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Look up his yearly residuals.
    That should tell you how wildly popular his show is even these many years later in syndication.

Jontro likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Seinfeld (the show) is a little dated now, like every other contemporary zeitgeist shows or movies. There are some jokes that are timeless but some are just ‘oh yeah, I remember landlines, heh’ type of humor.

Nook likes this.