1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. toby

toby Member

I agree, I just don't see evidence that the organization thinks he's the answer at 1st. Cabbage can play first, didn't see him out there in Mexico. Joey has played less than a third of his games in Sugarland at 1st. more than 2/3 in the outfield. Can he play first, sure. Will he supplant guys that ONLY play 1st in the bigs? I don't know. I just don't see it yet. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think it might be Kessinger too.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

5 options if Cabbage goes down

Most likely IMO: Singleton,Kessinger, Meyers, Abreu, Chas

Best for team: Abreu, Singleton, Kessinger, Meyers, Chas.

Personally I would keep Cabbage and get rid of Abreu and Singleton or Kessinger.

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Likewise, I find it hard to believe that the Astros are convinced that Singleton is a viable substitute starting 1B. If the Astros did, they would start Singleton for a few weeks to see if Abreu can find his mojo after taking a small rest.

Thus, I think that Singleton is the odd man out.

Stephen66 likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Cabbage was optioned back down.

No Worries and whiskeyred like this.
  6. toby

toby Member

Still need one more off the team. cabbage was the 27th player for mexico city.

7. SuraGotMadHops

Need one more off the 26 man as well as the 40 man, so somebody is going to need to be DFA or put on the IL.

mikol13, raining threes and toby like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All right you got me. But here is the thing, unless someone goes through every transaction Crane has made as a owner, make a judgement to which worked out and which did not and put all that on a timeline, your not going to answer this. Even then, subjectivity may skew the results.
    Add to that, I am not not sure who would be qualified to make such an analysis.

So instead, the coaches and FO folks get judged on how the club is doing. As inaccurate as that may be, it is what it is.

This year to this point, the Astros look bad, so the coaches, FO and the owner must be at fault.
    While this may be off, or even wrong, that is the perception that will dominate as long as the club looks bad.
    If at some point, they look good again, the same folks will get credit.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In fact, several Houston hitters told The Athletic's Chandler Rome last season that they weren't seeing the ball well in Minute Maid Park's batter's eye — the 40 x 80-foot green grassy area with the team's logo landscaped into it beyond the outfield fence in center field. One player mentioned the batter's eye was "not high enough" and had "too much stuff behind it."

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/arti...301492?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=sportspyder

This just seems to never go away.

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

Whitley to the 60 day?

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Any chance Chas is hurt? Sparky said he looked like his hammy was barking late in the game the other day.

toby likes this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Then why can everyone else can hit? It got into their heads after Dusty kept whining about it.

15. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Obviously I’ve never stepped in the batters box but it looks plenty high enough, and it’s been there for almost 8 years and only a problem starting last year. Maybe the greenery has faded a bit and needs a touch up with some dark green paint?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Bregman slow start, OPS:

1st half: .725, .764,
    2nd half: .901, .894

It's getting a bit silly.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

FOUR ****ING YEARS THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON. Chandler Rome can go **** himself 8 ways until next sunday to Alabama.

I called it, and the first ****ing Torchy's Tacos in CF was how everything went all to hell.

#757 Buck Turgidson, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    jim1961 likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Posted a new episode of Breathing Orange Fire. Check it out and listen on Spotify- episode 60. we talked a little bit about @Nook rumored Abreu for Benitendi trade and then problem/solution

listen rate, share, subscribe.

IdStrosfan, Nook and Radricky like this.
  19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Done, done, have no friends, done.

Also, despite what your friends might say, you are a raving optimist. But I am too ... winning streak here we come!

Wulaw Horn and Hank McDowell like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member