1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You really haven't expressed your reasoning a for your claims?

So why will Green drop in production next season?

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

My claim:
    If Jalen is as efficient next year as Beal was this year he would win MIP and we would be minimum a top 6 seed in the playoffs.

Jalen this year:
    .423/.332/.804 splits (.541 TS%)

Beal this year:
    .513/.430/.813 splits (.607 TS%)

If Jalen playes like that this upcomimg year it is a huge improvement.

I didn't claim he would drop in production. You brought up Beal's 4th year (not sure why, we can't and wouldn't be trading for 4th year Beal).

Also, Beal's 4th year wouldn't be a drope for Jalen.

Jalen this year:
    .423/.332/.804 splits (.541 TS%)

Beal 4th year:
    .449/.387/.767 splits (.547 TS%)

I would say it's about the same. But even then, it's not out of the question to say that Jalen could regress. You could make the argument Jalen was more efficient his rookie year than last year.

But again, that's you're argument. I'm just saying today Beal is better than Jalen and it would be a big leap if Jalen was as good as Beal wqs this year, next year.

Corrosion likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't understand this logic. Let's say he's terrible for most teams and less terrible for us. Still, why would we do this? He's still bad. Underrated or overrated is irrelevant to how it's going to perform. Even in his best season ever he's overpaid if he's making $50m and that season is never coming back. We don't have any bad contracts, why would we add a bad contract and underperformer?

Gobert regardless of what anyone said was a multiple DPOY winner. It's not even remotely comparable. He filled a position of need. Getting Beal on the Rockets is like getting Beal on the Wolves and pushing Mcdaniels or Edwards out of the lineup - creates a logjam at a position we have two potential stars.

This makes no sense whatsoever unless you are a Suns fan or if you're in the league office and trying to bring balance to the league. If you compare this move to doing nothing at all this summer, this makes our future worse, slightly raises our floor, dramatically lowers our ceiling.

I can't say it enough: Beal is an injury prone guy who can give you very good efficiency on just 14 shots per game, plays worse defense than Jalen, is shorter than Jalen, is declining and can't play PG. Why on earth would we take one minute away from Cam and Jalen instead of waiting a year when one of them will be every bit as good as Beal without Beal's $50m destroying our cap situation till 3 years from now.

We can just acquire someone else and pay more. We can pay more to get something good if we need anything. Who cares if it's less detrimental to us than anyone else? Which is not true by the way. We have one of the best cap situations, this would be a cruel thing to do to it. More cruel than if you're capped out and desperately need a SG.

#1943 Mathloom, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    cbass, BigMaloe, peleincubus and 2 others like this.
  4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I gather your general argument here is that

A) Beal sucks and B) Beal is overpaid

I agree with B and disagree with A. I don't think there's anything that's going to move either of us on this. I'm not saying Beal is some superstar (which is why he's overpaid, cause he's paid like one) but he is great at putting the ball in the basket.

Since Beal's breakout 5th year to date he's averaged 58.25 TS% on 18.95 FGA.

The guys who did that this year are Luka, Brunson, SGA, Steph, Kyrie, Booker, Tatum, and KD.

If you look at just this year's 60.7 TS% and 13.9 FGA (his lowest FGA in that timespan) this list expands to 15 guys, the big names you would expect.

Beal struggles with the things the rockets are good at and excels at the thing the rockets suck at.

And, again, I'm not saying he's some savior. I'm saying he improves the team basically just by trading vets that will play less next year anyway and we don't move any core 6 and we don't trade away the 2025+ Nets picks. And, it opens up more minutes for young guys (Brooks/J. Green/Tate/Landale) than it takes away (Beal).

#1944 pmac, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    BigMaloe and Corrosion like this.
  5. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

We can trade all the Nets picks to the Nets for all the Phoenix picks.

BigMaloe and theDude like this.
  6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Things we will not be doing: trading for Bradley Beal

Carry on.

cbass, BigMaloe, theDude and 3 others like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why are we talking about Beal? There's no way he's waiving his no trade clause to come here.

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's an interesting thought, but the Suns could tear it all down this offseason and be good again before any of those picks get turned over. That would be the smart thing to do rather than waiting until all the value is drained from the current players just in time to start owing picks and not being able to draft anyone of consequence.

Ming The King likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jalen Green, Tate & Landale for Kevin Durant :D

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Do not want Beal. What has he ever won? Meaningless stats on a terrible Wizards team. Just played with two bonafide stars and couldn’t win with the Suns. Hurt too often, and is overpaid.

11. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

The situation on the Suns that we should quietly monitor is Booker.

Highly unlikely, as in sub 5% chance, but if their impulsive owner wants to escape purgatory by resetting with a young team and bounty of picks, they could do the crazy thing and trade KD and Booker.

We have the package if it ever came to that, and he’s the ideal guy.

That’s the kind of very low probability, high high quality player our FO will be passively monitoring. If it’s not a top 15 player… we don’t want him this summer.

saleem, theDude and xaos like this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Agreed!

saleem likes this.
  13. theDude

Supporting Member

The crazy thing would not be to trade KD and Booker... that would the prudent thing. It would be crazy to hang onto those players that just got swept and delude yourself into thinking that you only lost because of health. If they keep marching forward with these three, one of them is eventually going to ask to be traded and the whole thing will come down like a house of cards, just like it did with the Nets. They need to be proactive and lead these discussions rather than reacting to a trade request. Teams will be willing to pay for KD and Booker right now while they are locked in long-term, but the longer they wait, the less the return will be, especially for KD. Take the windfall now.

Unfortunately, as far as the Rockets are concerned, I think they can get outbid on Booker by either the Spurs or OKC. Our only hope would be that they want to sit out the bidding on him.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I don't think it's the case we would be outbid, because none of our young guys are untouchable.

The Spurs are obviously not trading Wemby. Other than him they have Vassell (who is entering year 5 and is good but low upside), picks and nothing else of serious value.

OKC could outbid us if they included one of Chet or Jalen Williams. I'd assume they would not, in which case all they are offering is Cason Wallace + tons of picks.

Rockets fans may not want to hear it, but multiple of our core 6 would be on the table for Booker. 3 of our core 6 + the Nets picks + other future Rockets picks beats anything else any team in the league would realistically offer IMO. Maybe the Magic would beat us if they put Suggs and Wagner on the table.

theDude likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I could see Durant going back to the Thunder. Winning a ring just like Lebron. Not likely as the finals mvp though.

Aruba77 and Corrosion like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would you trade Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

17. theDude

Supporting Member

If you are trading for Booker, Jalen is going out, and probably Tari. We just can't compete with the picks from the Spurs or Thunder. Phoenix would have to be in love with Jalen for that to happen. Then a gain, this is a team that traded for Beal...

[​IMG]

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Not houston related, but fun hypothetical and i want to share it.

Warriors trade wiggins, draymond, podziemski to the Suns for Durant.

They then work a SnT with the Lakers, sending cp3, looney and kuminga for Lebron

Send whatever picks make it happen on both sides.

Resign Klay and a ton of old vet minimums

Steph
    Klay
    Lebron
    Durant
    Deandre jordan?

I want it for the lulz

comrade likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Absolutely.

Quick before you change your mind.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Franz had one or two shooting seasons but his shooting was abysmal this season.

And he is a glorified 2nd banana for now.

I like him more than Green but from a team perspective it is not really that much of a game changer I have to admit.

Franz and Alpe would be so much fun in the Regular Season though.......