1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

So you're keeping Cam, Amen, & DB?

[​IMG]

theDude likes this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

embiid is low-key 30 years old. For an oft-injured 7fter that doesnt give me confidence. I think im a hard pass, especially with Sengun at home.

OKC has chet, and would probably rather target Booker with their treasure trove.

The Pelicans low key have a great asset cabinet. Pairing 2 oft injured big guys together seems wild but who knows.

The Knicks are the obvious destination imo. Big Market wanting to make big moves and pair another star with Brunson.

Boston is another possibility I can see emptying the trove for him.

Doesnt fit Orlandos timeline, but they are a wildcard.

Aruba77 likes this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dillon Brooks+ Steven Adams+ FRP 2024+ FRP 2025 for DeJounte Murray

In ATL, Brooks can play SG and this would give Young a more complimentary defensive backcourt mate. Adams would let them trade Capella for draft compensation and save a little money. They get to retool and refine their roster so that it’s a little more balanced while recouping some capital given up for Murray.

For the Rockets, it gives them some more stability at PG. They can have Murray or FVV on the court at all times. This probably moves Green to SF. It’s a small lineup, but I think it gives them lots of options going forward, especially as it comes to a decision on Green’s extension and free agency status.

Corrosion and htownrox1 like this.
  4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

After seeing the Suns flame out I’d at least make a phone call on Booker and KD. If you can get one of them without completely gutting the shelf then I say do it. Phoenix has ZERO first round picks from 2025-2030 and ZERO second round picks from 2024-2030.

Given how things played out this year the Suns are gonna have a big decision to make. If Houston can come up with a fair offer to Phoenix, I think something could get done.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Phoenix's acquisition of Bradley Beal was always a head-scratcher. The dude was never healthy. So he would miss games, and then when returning, the team would have to assimilate him back in.

I can't see the Suns trading Booker now, though.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt Fred and Dillon are helping them do anything, they are not even helping them successfully tank ......

This is more of a Rockets would benefit 1000% more than Phoenix would Scenario.

I think the Brooklyn picks are decent but not stellar.......and to sell to Phoenix that they have guaranteed hopes on Cooper Flagg.....I doubt that.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

OK, hear me out.

Houston:
    Bradley Beal

Suns:
    Brooks
    Jeff Green
    Tate
    Landale
    2024 pick swap (Suns get #9, rockets get #22)

Bradley Beal is a good player. He's essentially the Jalen Green best case at this point. .513/.430/.813 splits this year .463/.375/.822 career splits. He's a pure scorer that can spell FVV as backup PG when needed. He's way overpaid but it's not my money and while our guys are young and starting their rookie extensions we can manage his bloated contract without hampering us. Him being overpaid is also likely why he may be had for cheap. This fills our starting SG and backup PG hole while opening minutes for our young guys to play all of the SF/PF minutes. Jalen Green can play backup SG and learn from Beal and if he makes the leap he can take his spot back from Beal in later years. I'm also assuming FVV's 3rd year gets declined and we re-sugn him for a lower number for more years or (if Amen is ready) role with Amen as starting PG.

The Suns get depth and a pick they can use in trades on draft night. Or, they can open the trade to a 3rd team to use the pick at the same time. They can pick up Chris Paul for the vets min and have an actual nba rotation next year.

My general thought is $50MM for Beal is better than $22MM for a vet defender (Brooks) and $20MM for a vet shooter (Buddy Hield type) and it allows time for our young guys. This also allows the team to improve next year without sacrificing significant future assets. And, for the Sengunatics, it would eliminate any benefit of waiting on a Sengun extension.

Also, there is zero chance the Suns trade Booker so no point wasting time even thinking of that. Of course I would prefer having Booker over Beal but so would the Suns.

#1927 pmac, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I like Murray but he can ONLY play point guard, that's where he's valuable. As a 2 he's not much

theDude likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Booker's a very underrated player. He's a huge scorer, his passing improved significantly this season and his defense has improved over the years too. Any coach would love to have that guy even at a higher salary than he's making. They are certainly not going to trade Booker, he's the youngest star and best player. Even if they want to re-tool everything, Booker will be the last to go.

The good news is Shams leaked that KD was unhappy about how he was used this season. Meanwhile Vogel claimed before game 4 he had Ishbia's support going into next season. Looking like a conflict is possible.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you think Bradley Beal is Green's best case....

11. ROXTXIA

UNCLE Jeff (Green).
    Not Jalen.

And I wouldn't waste anything on a dude who's always injured anyway (Beal).

12. fchowd0311

Look at the content of the post I replied to.

He literally said that Beal is the best case scenario for Jalen and that Jalen should be benched and learn from Beal. That poster is dumb.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're in a situation where we don't have to do anything in FA/trade and would improve every season anyway for at least 2-3 years with the age of this core. If we just draft the picks we own and bring them along super slowly, we will be at 45-50 wins next season and 50-55 wins the following season at minimum. We're rocking a top 10 defense with one of the youngest teams in the NBA.

If Rafael Stone acquires Beal - even if it's without the pick swap - I will lose my mind. What in the world would possess us to acquire the worst contract in the NBA with a no trade clause and severe injury issues? So that we can get a guy who's only skill is to be an efficient scorer on 14 shot attempts?

Even if the league made an exception to allow Phoenix to send him to us for nothing at all, I would not want that guy on our cap. He would instantly be the biggest risk in our entire newly rebuilt squad and all for 50 games a season of 14 efficient points, no defense and no PG skills. They should give us picks for taking on Bradley Beal in exchange for $30m in droppable salary and Dillon Brooks who's a better fit than Beal as a starter for them. Why did we take on the worst contract in the deal and they got better?

It's crazy to me people are out here trying to acquire a guard when we have FVV, Amen, Jalen and Whitmore that have earned their minutes with Udoka. Which one of these guys should we marginalize for Bradley Beal? Let's say Beal's health bounces back and he gives us 32 minutes per game. You need FVV to run the offense so that's another 30 minutes conservatively. That leaves 34 minutes total for Jalen, Amen and Cam. We JUST ran with giving these guys minutes and exceeded everyone's expectations with our win total. Why would we create a log jam in a place where we are already going to struggle to get everyone significant minutes?

Surely we can find a better target than Beal. We're the least desperate team in the NBA. We are improving with or without moves. We own lots of picks. We have cap flexibility. We don't actually need anything. Any deal we make should not have this crazy high level of risk attached to it. If Beal's health problems persist, we screwed our cap situation that took years to fix. We gotta do better for our team bro.

Y2JT likes this.
  14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Ok, maybe there's an outside chance that he performs the way he did during the streak and becomes our Anthony Edwards. I would say that's incredibly unlikely. I was thinking more based on current career trajectory than wishful thinking.

If Jalen is as efficient next year as Beal was this year he would win MIP and we would be minimum a top 6 seed in the playoffs.

The whole point is that while Beal's contract is an issue for most vet teams. It's far lower risk for us. We would be better next season without losing any of our 6 young guys and any future assets. So, no negative future impact that we would see with most of the other deals for offensive players of that level.

I'm not in love with Beal but just that his bloated contract makes him slight underrated and in the right role he could maximize his value similar to Gobert with Minny. I think the general concept of taking on an overpaid better vet will have a bigger net impact than maintaining 2 solid vets that total a similar cost because we will be playing out young guys in those other minutes.

This type of move opens more minutes for Amen/Cam at SF than they currently have behind Brooks.

#1934 pmac, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  15. fchowd0311

Okay so you'll be fine if Jalen next season takes the "Bradley Beal fourth year leap" of averaging 17 ppg on 54% ts on a 41 win team because they is what Beal did in his fourth season.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  16. cdastros

cdastros Member

17. fchowd0311

Hell nah. Wtf is the addiction with star hunting.

harold bingo likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

Sorry. I'm at work. Cursory reading on my part.

R.I.F.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m with you that given Embid’s injury history, his body age is older than 30, and I’d have a hard time giving up at least 8 years of Sengun for a couple yrs of Embid; especially the way Sengun just keeps dramatically improving. But Embid on this team probably puts us in the top 4 of the west (assuming additional internal growth from everyone else). It’s an interesting potential quandary.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

First, that's not what I said.

If Jalen is as efficient next year as Beal was this year he would win MIP and we would be minimum a top 6 seed in the playoffs.

I'm talking about Beal today.

Second, I'm talking about what I think will happen with Jalen not what I would be ok with. I haven't really been ok with his play to this point. Unfortunately, I think that's more likely to continue than not. I think Beal's 4th year numbers are a very real possibility for Jalen. Although, I would be happy if he proves me wrong.

But, Jalen performing like 30 year old Beal would be a massive leap.