1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USSC decisions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's more that their are mechanisms (elections, impeachment) for holding POTUS accountable for actions in office, rather than having hyperpartisan prosecutors/juries spamming Presidents with indictments when they get out of office like they do in other countries the moment the other side takes control.

basso likes this.
  2. astros123

astros123 Member

Don't you love listening to "small government conservatives" morph into giving unlimited power to the presidency to the point they see no issues with murdering political opponents lol.

It's crazy seeing how trump transformed the entire party into a cult. Stop pretending that any of you folks have your own views. You folks just ass lick whatever Trump tells yall to. Never seen anything more pathetic in my life

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except Trump’s lawyers and several Congreesional Republicans including McConnell argued during the last impeachment that impeachment of a President leaving office wasnt the proper venue and that a president could be held accountable via legal prosecution. So now they are essentially arguing a Catch 22 that legal prosecution of a former president shouldn’t be allowed but to rely on impeachment.

Further in the Federalist papers and other material the Founders made it clear that impeachment is a political process and not a legal process. That a President was not immune from legal repercussions for their action.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not sure of your age, but after living half of one century, I've come to wonder if it goes like this:
    We had a really pretty amazing global time when a lot of the planet shuddered after Hitler and Stalin (and others), basically saying "yikes, let's not do that for a while, m'kay?" But people forget, and people are apes, and here we go again. All because it feels good and takes less energy than actually thinking or asking themselves hard questions. And after relative calm, we'll get what our species usually gets, b/c we're the same exact species that launched the dark ages, the 100 years war, and two world wars, and so on.

Where did you move, by the way? Or maybe I'm asking the wrong poster. There's no way I'd be able to get out of the US at this point. Too tied to family and a loved one's medical care.

Rashmon, ROCKSS, Xopher and 1 other person like this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

It's funny seeing people be all sanctimonious about the legal system and at the same time have no problem with AGs/prosecutors in this country running for public office with the promise to specifically target individuals they don't care for.

It's quite literally "show me the man and I'll show you the crime" - Lavrentiy Beria style.

Talk about a kangaroo court system.

basso likes this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

I'm currently residing in Denmark for the past couple of months and I absolutely love it. I'm in my 30s so I havnt quite expierened life like many of you but I fear America is about to enter a dark period ruled by facism.

Did you see the Times interview of trump?

ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  7. astros123

astros123 Member

The same justice department that's filed felony charges against the presidents son...?? That's comparable to trump promising to fire any AG that doesn't file charges against whoever he wishes?

Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

People were saying the exact same thing about Democracy ending if Trump got elected in 2016.

Turns out none of the apocalyptic predictions came to fruition.

Better double down on that, “this time its for real guys” or something.

basso likes this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Yea, the Jan 6th insurrection happened on his watch so...at this point if that's the best thing you can say about candidate Trump I don't know what to tell you.

astros123 likes this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

You think American democracy was in danger of ending because 2000 qanon folks forced their way into the capital building?

basso likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think that was all Jan. 6th was about and there were no other efforts to overturn the election?

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

America won't end, but I think we are far closer to the end of the American model we've known than right wingers are willing to admit and left wingers are aware of.

I think it's inevitable at this point really.

Biden's presidency is the last gasp of a dying system.

Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

Based on the historical record I have no reason to believe the United States democracy was ever in any real danger of ending between Nov 2020 and Jan 2021 when power was peacefully transferred between administrations

basso likes this.
  14. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Read up on Project 2025

https://www.project2025.org/

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Of course, sending alternate slates of electors from multiple states and calling up other politicians to find votes is just business as usual.

16. astros123

astros123 Member

Trump is promising to pardon these rioters on day 1. It's insane to claim that these folks aren't terrorists and instead we'll let them free which will empower another generation of white supremacists

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was listening to a Fresh Air podcast recently where the guest remarked that, given current population trends, 30% of the country will soon control 60-70% of the Senate.

We are coasting toward our own institutional collapse.

18. HTM

HTM Member

I was told Trump would end Democracy in his first administration what happened to that?

19. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I don't give a damn what people suspected. However, he tried to overthrow the transfer of power in 2021 and now he is actually laying out his plan to become a quasi dictator with Project 2025. You should have a read, but you won't.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tell me you don't understand our system of government w/o telling me you don't understand our system of government.