1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

Page 700!!!!!

cryout75, HardenReturns and clos4life like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Interested if you'd rather have -

-36 year old Kevin Durant making 52 million dollars next season

or

-Sengun in his 4th season who will be demanding/likely getting a max extension
    -one or more of Amen, Cam, Eason, or Jabari
    -The two remaining Brooklyn first round picks unprotected
    -Dillon Brooks, and Jock Landale for Salary matching purposes

????

I'm assuming that's the bare minimum the Rockets would need to offer to even have a chance at trading for KD. Then you have a rotation of (let's assume it's Cam Whitmore also included in the trade)

C-Jabari, Adams
    PF-Amen
    SF-Durant, Eason
    SG-Green
    PG-FVV

+Plus vet min type of signings

If the Rockets are going "Star Hunting" truly this offseason, I do think an opportunity will pop its head up "Like" this one. The question is are the Rockets really better off after a trade like this???

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is this even a serious question? Might have been the worst "trade proposal" I have ever seen on this site, and that is saying something.

cml750 and clos4life like this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, that's not how you star hunt.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hell yah man! Give them Cam Amen Sengun all the Brooklyn picks for a player that is declining!! Have the combined worst record for 3 seasons trade away all of the acquired talent and picks you got from Harden to take the future ceiling of the team away for some immediate improvement but non championship next 2 seasons.

where do I sign up?!?

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Absolutely better. Would do this in a heartbeat

They can have Sengun & Cam. I'm not giving up anything else

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Little Bit, cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. dobro1229

Don't point the finger at me. The Rockets from the top down haven't been able to shut up regarding their "star hunting" fest this Summer. This is a reality of what it would take to get a superstar player like KD.

If you think KD comes available, what do you think Tillman and Stone need to offer to get a star like him in a trade??

You have to move significant salary (which would have to include a player like Brooks/FVV/filler), multiple picks, and at least one good young prospect.

I assume you are in the "continue the Process" camp which I am in as well. I think you look at the 2021 Phoenix Suns between then and now vs the 2024-2025 Phoenix Suns. It's a cautionary tale to say the least. As amazing as KD is, or any top level superstar would be just plopping them in on this roster, we all know that's not the reality of the situation.

9. dobro1229

But you would have to from a salary standpoint at the very least. KD is a huge 51Mil salary you have to match. I don't see anyway of doing it without FVV or Brooks/Adams going out.... and we all know draft picks will have to be included whether it's ours or the BKN picks.

Sengun for KD straight up.... yeah I might do that, but given all the other "stuff" that would have to be included, and then considering that he's eligible for an extension that you'll certainly have to offer that'll pay him close to 60 million when he's basically 40 years old.... woof. Big risk.

10. dobro1229

Unfortunately I think Tillman will sign up for that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do see the signs that Tillman and Stone are pretty damn desperate to get that big superstar name, and as aggressive/desperate as they sound, you have to use your logic to understand this is likely what goes out... again for a near 40 year old declining superstar making 60 million dollars when he's almost 40 years old.

I would run the other way, but just brace yourself for this Summer if/when we start hearing about what teams like Phoenix are demanding in a trade like this. Milwaukee with Giannis would be demanding even more, and I assume Philly with Embiid would be pretty close to this if not even a bit more than Phoenix would demand.

peleincubus likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Totally ridiculous.

cml750 and clos4life like this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't want Durant at all. His time has passed. He hasn't been able to lead the Nets or Suns anywhere and he's too damned old. Trading Sengun for him would be absolute insanity. I would trade Jalen Green + Dillon Brooks and a boat load of picks for Devon Booker in a heart beat though.

13. dobro1229

Of course. You know who else would want Booker though as a core piece to build around.... the Phoenix Suns. Which is why it's much more likely that moving Durant is the only avenue the Suns front office sees moving forward to be able to make this team better.

I don't think the Suns could move Beal under any circumstance. Worst contract in the league for a player that rarely can stay healthy, and gets more turnovers and fouls than points in an elimination game.

KD is probably the biggest name available this offseason IMO. Things can change with Embiid but still a long shot, and has as much risk as KD.

.... Which is why I've been facepalming every time Iko, Tim McMahon, etc. have been telling us that the Rockets are going "STAR HUNTING". Ugh...

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That would be like the Hershel Walker trade for the Vikings.

AroundTheWorld and Williamson like this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I honestly don't think teams are going to be willing to give up much for Durant at this point. He's been disgruntled on his last three teams. He points the finger at everyone but himself. He's getting coaches fired. The talent is undeniable, but he's 36 and comes with a whole lot of baggage. I think the only way a team is willing to give up anything for him is if they think he's the final piece they need to win a championship. And that ain't us.

clos4life, Easy and dobro1229 like this.
  16. dobro1229

Yeah. One of the issues though is our competition for a superstar. The asking price is going to be over the top at least in terms of draft picks because everyone knows what OKC has. Of course asking price is different than final agreement, but I'm just telling folks now.... BRACE YOURSELF for that "demand" that the Suns put out there, and don't freak out when you hear the Rockets involved in those "talks." It's not me here. The Rockets have announced it already loud and proud that this is what they are desperate to get involved in.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The only thing more hilarious than that "trade proposal" is to actually keep defending it.

Outside of @rocketschamp, I don't see anyone else supporting this, not even Clutch.

cml750, cmoak1982 and clos4life like this.
  18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I was thinking about this last night, I wouldn’t execute the trade I’m about to suggest but on paper I think we would be a contender if we swapped Embiid for Şengün. Not that Şengün isn’t going to be a championship level center but because Embiid, theoretically, already is. And is just so much bigger and better at this stage. The obvious shortcoming is health and no way I’d take a risk on Embiid. However, IF we could see the future and knew he’d be healthy, I think the team would be dominant. FVV and DB along with Green and Jabari with Embiid? Thats one hell of a tough starting 5 (sans Green in the toughness category).

in 2-3 years the window would close because Embiid is getting older and it can only get worse in terms of availability to play. Sengun is way better long term prospect. Just saying, if we plugged in Embiid today, we’d be a contender. Maybe. I’m going with it.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The problem with then Phoenix was that Ayton just was not really that good to begin with.......there was that risk that Booker's years were going to get wasted, it sort of looks that way as well......

CP3 was getting older to sort of stay in that 2nd to 3rd option role.....

It made sense to heavily retool or sort of reset.

Phoenix continuing on its way = trading for Durant and Beal ...... about the same results.

With OKC and Wolves rising, there was no way the combo of CP3, Booker, Bridges and Ayton would still be favored.