1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Joey Loperfido era begins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Thank God. Let's go!!

mikol13, jim1961 and Radricky like this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

At the very least, it's interesting

edwardc, ROCKSS, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Should have brought Loperfido up for the Mexico City series ... high altitude and all.

Just saying.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Joey Gallo 2.0 or Kyle Schwarber. Almost half of his hits are homers. He just needs to make contact. I'm sure they will not give him much to hit in the majors. A steady diet of sliders.

Granted Joey Gallo didn't hit for average even in the minors.

#5 rockbox, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Uprising likes this.
  6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

They probably want to start him off at home first instead of out of country.

No Worries likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

.200 with 2 doubles over the next month will be 100% better than Abreu.

Viol8r, FuryFC, ApolloRLB and 10 others like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been on the Loperfido train since ST, however I think I have more realistic expectations of him than a lot around here will.

I suspected all along he was better than Singleton, and now he will undoubtedly be better than Abreu...that doesn't necessarily mean that I think he'll be good, at least not right away. If AAA pitchers were striking him out at a high clip, MLB pitchers certainly will as well. He's probably gonna struggle.

However a think if you give him 124 PA like we have to Abreu/Singleton, he's probably gonna provide more than 3 XBH and 3 RBI in between all the K's.

I imagine Abreu will hang around a little while (not that I like it) and Loperfido will start in the OF more than first...I hope I'm wrong.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

He has to be better defensively than Abreu/Singleton right? I'd much rather give a hot prospect a shot versus watching the sh** show we have at 1st now. Go Joey!

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

The fact is that he CANT be worse than Abreu and Singleton. And that alone is cause for rejoicing.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Less than 1k per night will be good enough to have an impact if the power comes with it. Let's see if the kid can get it done.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I typically hate, hate, hate the "he can't possibly be worse" argument when talking about minor league guys vs struggling major league guys, but in this instance I'm about 99% positive that's the case.

#12 Buck Turgidson, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - this isn't a situation where the Astros are calling up a top 10 prospect in the game. Loperfido has some warts, and much like Meyers - the Astros player development staff has cobbled him together with duct tape - his success really will be based on his ability to do what he does well at a high clip. Still, if he has success - he won't be the first player to have a 3-5 year run of really good production..... indeed McCormick, Pena and Meyers all are in the same boat of hard work and player development staff magic making them good enough with the bat to be viable players.

If nothing else he isn't obese and can field first - and that is an upgrade. Too bad they didn't snag Cooper as well and they would have a new 1st base rotation to trot out there.

raining threes, toby, Shark44 and 8 others like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It's gonna be very difficult to be worse than either of those guys and indeed that's cause for rejoicing :).

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Loperfido hits .220/.310/.420 this season, it will be a rousing success imho.

Nook, vince, astrosrule and 3 others like this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

He will be The Chosen One.

Brett109 and Nook like this.
  17. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I’m not sure he’s playing first just yet. He’s a natural CF and prefers that position but who knows until we see the corresponding move that’s coming. I’m excited for him but after seeing the Jackson Holliday debacle I’m managing expectations

Houstunna and toby like this.
  18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

It has been a while since the Stros bring up a bonified prospect up to the major. Forget strikeouts, A.Judge struck out a lot in the minors. Take the bad with the good, HRs. Does our manager need to look at the back of the baseball card of Joey Loperfido

raining threes and htownrox1 like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Not sure what he's a natural at or what he prefers...he's played as much IF (1B/2B) as he has OF at Duke and in the minors

20. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I was just going off an interview I had heard with him, that's all. He mentioned he prefers CF, that's it.