1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Except for the 2 World Series wins and making the WC ALCS finals ~7 years running, I agree.

#701 No Worries, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    InTheGroove, Nook and marks0223 like this.
  2. No Worries

What is the over and under in days before Astros Fans are screaming for Brown/Espada's head for starting Benintendi?

Houstunna likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Anyone trashing Crane is probably worth the ignore button.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Meyers's last 700 PAs have been a lot better than Benintendi's last 700 PAs despite only having one shoulder for a decent chunck of those. Meyers is a lot better defensively than Benitendi. If Benitendi was an Astro, he should be behind Tucker, Chas, Alvarez, Meyers, Loperfido, and Dubon for OF playing time. Frankly, Loperfido and Dubon should not get any playing time in the OF as well except as an injury replacement. Benintendi has had one good year since the Red Sox got caught a second time for sign stealing. That was 6 years ago that the Red Sox were caught a 2nd time.

I would not send down Kessinger unless it was just to get him PT. I liked his defense last year on the left side of the IF over Dubon who is a pretty good IF defensively.

I've got no faith in Abreu, Singleton, and Cabbage.

5. No Worries

I have a little faith in Cabbage. He has Kris Karter vibes, but he is still young and there is small chance that he can figure something out.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with almost everything you said. If Houston acquired Benintendi I would assume they think they can fix him, in which case it makes sense to play him. But I would also understand adding him as just a 4th OF lefty bat with on-base skills and keeping Meyers as the starting CF. I am a big fan of Meyers and don’t at all understand why he hasn’t played more this season.

I have no faith in Abreu. I do still think Singleton could be a good hitter but this team doesn’t have the leash to give him. I think Cabbage would make a fine bench player and he has potential to be like Loperfido: a Joey Gallo level fringey everyday player. I do like Kessinger and would like him to get down for a month or two just to be able to play. Hes not a 33 year old AAAA guy. He doesn’t warrant more time on the big league roster but I think shuffling him in and out with somebody like Cabbage would keep him sharper than just letting him ride pine so much.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

WC? Wild Card Finals? (I kid, I know you mean ALCS)

If Crane is bad, it is in the same way Jerry Jones is bad. In other words, he assembled a great staff that won it all by developing a great team and then coasted with a subpar coach(es) leading great players for a while.

I'm not sure Crane is bad or not, but the Astros front office/manager/owner do not seem as aligned as they were between 2015-2019. He's still got time to not go full Jerry (i.e., it is okay to not to be perfect, but when you make a mistake, don't ignore it). Maybe Espada and Brown click going forward, but I can't recall anyone in the Luhnow and Click regimes being as bad as Abreu has been among position players and still allowed to start most days for as long as he did. This is with Luhnow tanking a few years. Maybe Loperfido ends this.

#707 Joe Joe, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He does have a history of war profiteering allegations...

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Too many people in the organization care about batting average over advanced stats for Meyers now... positive WAR with better OPS+ than Chas.

panamamyers likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

From 2011 thru now, here are the Astros with lower wRC+ during their time with Houston (min 400 pa):
    Jordan Schafer
    Brandon Barnes
    Carlos Gomez
    Martin Maldonado

Stephen66 and No Worries like this.
  11. No Worries

Martín Maldonado was bad but not Abreu bad ... but Dusty could not seem to quit him some Maldy.

The Astros giving Abreu one month at the start of the season to get going is somewhat understandable. If the Astros decide to move on from Abreu ... like they appear to be doing ... Abreu is not playing through an injury. ... or at least an injury that he can actually recover from.

ryan_98 and InTheGroove like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Abreu is a piss-poor defensive 1B though with a wRC+ of -21 with 77 PAs.

Abreu this season in 22 games
    Abreu -1.2 WAR

Worst 22 games under Luhnow or Click
    Shafer -0.5
    Barnes -0.6
    Gomez -0.3
    Maldy -0.6 (-0.7 under Brown's tenure)

Screaming Fist and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. No Worries

Reading between the lines ... Abreu's back may be permanently ****ed. Hitting can dramatically fall off in your late 30s but fielding?

If this is the case, Abreu is fully cooked and can't pass a physical if traded.

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah Abreu is the worst overall player Houston has had in the last 15+ years. Especially if you only look at 2024. But I think there’s at least an argument that Gomez did more damage to the organization, given he was being counted on for more and they gave up Hader for him.

No Worries likes this.
  15. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

It's crazy. I listen to the talk shows and they somehow think that Dubon and Chas are hands down better than Meyers. Meyers should have been playing 85% of games on center field.

lnchan likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Abreu was bad most of last season. Sure, there may be stretches when Abreu goes nuclear, but a guy as bad as he was most of last year should not have been given a month with as bad he has been.

You give guys time like Bregman and Chas who have recent track records and are hovering around replacement level time.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gomez didn't make that trade. Though, if one is going to look at opportunity cost that should be on the GM (or owner), I'd say Abreu's salary and the Astros willingness to continue to play him because he's being paid is a pretty big opportunity cost ($58M+another 12M so far in negative play).

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol... I was thinking "WC" Finals as the Western Conference Finals, which is the baseball LCS equivalent and matches the context of 7 consecutive seasons.

No Worries likes this.
  19. Screaming Fist

Are they really calling Loperfido up to play OF when they are already not playing Meyers as much as they should?

Bregatron, Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  20. Screaming Fist

Even with guys who suck as bad as Maldy they at least have the positional adjustment doing work for them. 1B and DH when they stop hitting become like a anchor in terms of negative value.

Joe Joe likes this.