1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Hearing grumblings of Abreu being DFA tomorrow

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

We can always hope

IBTL, Radricky, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They still owe him $35M. I will be very surprised but very happy. He looks defeated mentally and physically and it’s insulting to play him and it’s insulting to bench him. Astros got rooked, admit it and move on. Orioles kept Chris Davis for over 2 years when he was clearly ****ed and it was just bad for everybody. And this is worse because Houston is supposed to be contending.

13 in 33, IBTL, Radricky and 4 others like this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Maybe they can make up an injury and 60 day IL him

ROCKSS, Stephen66 and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

So, other than the Astros, what orgs are down-&-out with no chance at redemption that are wasting talent at 1B <-/-> IF <-/-> 3B (OR mL prospects-- HEY DB, AINT THIS YOUR JOB TO FIGURE OUT?!?)... Hell man, find out the players with the biggest upside who are dominating the minors and MAKE. THE. MF. MOVES. ALREADY. Luhnow wasn't scurrt of being aggressive, Click went commando as much as he could. Call Nick Caserio if you need to get a second opinion (or Hannah, or Cal, or Demeco, or the Tman... just DO NOT CONSULT THE "BOARD OF ADVISORS" the org embarrassedly decided to allow in the decision-making process). 2023-24 seasons may just be looked at as the absolute worst GM/Owner combo the league & Houston has seen... or just keep smiling and spitting that shiteatingGM talk to the fans/public.
    F\/ckall a relentless... WE NEED YOU TO BE RUTHLESS.

[thanks in advance, I know I may be proved wrong with the wiser folk here].

6. Nook

Nook Member

They are trying to send him back to Chicago in a trade.

Fiah, ryan_98, IBTL and 6 others like this.
  7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

For Maldy?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The obvious thing would just be a straight dump with Houston picking up like $30M. But a Benintendi swap would be interesting; he has like $55M remaining thru 2027. I don’t know if Benintendi has $25M in upside relative to Abreu. But I wouldn’t mind that trade, as Benintendi is only 29.

InTheGroove likes this.
  9. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

this will be the absolute most satisfying contract move in the history* of Houston sports if this happens (aside from the bustedass Derelict Watson deal w CLE)

*from recent memory... my short-term-mem is shot

Killer B Bagwell should approve this (or just left out of the loop completely).

ROCKSS and Stephen66 like this.
  10. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Please God no

IBTL, ROCKSS, Wulaw Horn and 3 others like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

No - although that would be funny.

Astros and Sox have discussed Abreu and Benintendi. Astros like some low level minor leaguers the White Sox have as well. There are ALWAYS problems trading with the White Sox. Right now the Sox don’t want to send any cash out. Astros are fine with that but they want some lower level arms the Sox have from International drafts. Sox claim they won’t make that type of move.

We will see what happens but Abreu would still draw fans and they get out of a bad contract a year earlier making the deal. For the Astros they likely try to rehab Beni and hope to pick off a couple rough gems the Sox have.

Fiah, ryan_98, IBTL and 12 others like this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Trading him to Chicago would be great for everyone, but I can't imagine the White Sox giving up ANYTHING extra to make it happen. Although, Benintendi's contract is looking pretty horrible right now too. He's younger, but he hasn't been anything special for a while now, and the back end of that contract might look REALLY bad one day.

No Worries and Uprising like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good Riddance.

DD

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I do not appreciate your sense of humor

Stephen66, Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

This is going to be more of a Brock Osweiler-style deal I fear...

13 in 33 likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Benintendi deal would look like shuffling, but I guess at his age Benintendi could still have life as a competent OBP guy. Would also provide minor LT relief the next 2 years in a straight up deal.

Who else remembers all the hand wringing about having Tucker instead of Benintendi once upon a time.

#976 sealclubber1016, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Nook, Snake Diggit and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Add Benintendi to the list of bulls*** that’s happened from teams who eliminated the Astros in the playoffs. Most teams have fallen off immediately after beating Houston -- players retiring, players getting traded, players sucking, teams becoming mediocre or sucking, etc. Lightning in a bottle bs that stole championships.

I'm not opposed to having Benintendi if it means Abreu's departure, but it's basically a repeat of the Rockets trading Paul for Westbrook... old problem for a new one. Maybe a prospect is acquired and he adds value.

13 in 33 and No Worries like this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Benintendi posted a .682 OPS in 2023 and a .521 so far in 2024.

Benintendi has three more years left on his contract left. Abreu has just next year.

The only way that the Astros make this deal is if they think that they can "fix" Benintendi and get him back to league average, which still makes his 3+year contract a **** sandwich.

Put me in the ... Just Say No camp. DFA Abreu and live your best life.

Stephen66, 13 in 33, IBTL and 3 others like this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

DFAbreu

Stephen66, Radricky and No Worries like this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

All of that is true, but also consider.

• It would add an additional $3M of payroll budget for the trade deadline.
    • It would bring back prospects that could add value
    • Benintendi is young enough he could potentially be fixed.
    • By 2026 the extra salary won't he as much an issue with several expensive veterans gone
    Not saying it's a good idea. Just saying there are positives as well as negatives.