1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Guys, I'm convinced - the rockets should give Wemby a chance in this 2024 offseason.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I agree mostly with this, good stuff. Just a couple disagreements.

We definitely need to use the 12m MLE as it will be valuable for filling our biggest need, which (in my opinion) is a backup PG who can play off ball at the 2 as well. This would help reduce FVVs minutes and give another reliable guy while Amen learns the position and Jalen continues learning the secondary playmaking role. The problem is the options arent great nor perfect. IMO its Tyus, Melton or don't use it.
    • Tyus Jones does fit that backup PG role, but not so much the off-ball role. Also on the smaller size and may be too expensive to sign.
    • Deanthony Melton provides the defense and off ball ability, but not much of the playmaking stuff.
    • Gary Trent is purely a 2 guard, not really a fit or minutes for him.
    • The rest of the guys are basically just Aaron Holiday level guys.
    Which brings me to my next difference in opinion.
    • I agree we should bring back Jock as a 3rd big and future salary filler. Hes earned a spot here and fits the culture well. Good injury insurance.
    • I agree I think we should pick up the options or Jeff and Tate.
    • Bring Jeff back for salary filler and move into a mentor/coaching role.
    • Keep Tate just to use his contract as salary filler and look to trade him.
    • Let Aaron go. While he is the best of the players on this list, I want to free up his minutes for the young guys and the MLE signee (if applicable).
    As for the draft, I like Clingan and would enjoy that selection but I'm firm in BPA regardless of position. I would really prefer packaging #9 with the bench salaries we have to try find a very solid player to add.
    • Jock + Jeff + #9 to Portland for Brogdon + #14
    • Jock + Jeff + #9 to Memphis for Smart + #39

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Look, I'm not going to keep derailing this thread with you after this, but you're talking like being mildly against the consensus (which seems to be that he's 2nd place on DPOY) is some outlandish idiotic take. I just want to close my arguments by listing some of the games opposing centers dropped on Wemby this season:

Joel Embiid: 70 points on 58.5% shooting (34.7 points season average)
    Nikola Jokic: 42 points on 56.3% shooting, 39 points on 58.6% shooting (26.4 points season average)
    Alperen Sengun: 45 points on 59.4% shooting (21.1 points season average)
    Jonas Valancunias: 26 points on 83.3% shooting (12.2 points season average)
    Jarrett Allen: 29 points on 57.4% shooting, 26 points on 66.7% shooting (16.5 points season average)
    Anthony Davis: 37 points on 56.5% shooting (24.7 points season average)

For me an all-defensive first team, DPOY candidate type of player steps up against the top guys at his position and doesn't let them go off well above their season averages so often. Wemby is great at flying around the court and intimidating smaller players, but he has a lot of work to do against opposing bigs, and it's a glaring weakness in his game.

theDude and don grahamleone like this.
  4. HealthyHamstring

I love the first trade (maybe Tate would be a piece as opposed to 1 of Jeff/Landale), but the 2nd trade is way to rich for me

MadMax94$ and BigMaloe like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

getting Brogdon without giving up too much is a great outcome if Stone can get that done. Melton for the MLE would also be an excellent outcome. I really hope we start hearing more about that as a possibility. Great fit for this team.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually you said he should be 6th place - absolutely ludicrous - just frabjously clowntacular

:rolleyes:

This combines an element of the Stephen A Smith/inside the NBA crew type Analysis "Did he get it done with the lights on?" (IDK ask his gf I guess?),

with the tedious presentation of a list with zero attempts at context or the presentation of alternative lists of the 5 (?!?!?!???!!!!) players who you feel are better defensive players (and frankly it wouldn't really prove anything in any event even if you provided it)

The very worst of Internet arguing, from someone who fancies themself a serious analytical mind.

For shame.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am sure Wemby is a fun subject but let's get back to the Green nuthug offseason show, shall we....hahaha

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

its easy to get back on topic. just stop engaging with the spurs fan and discuss the offseason.

9. Damion Laverne

Gotta have some real internal growth in 2024-2025 from the core to make that next step.

I think operating over the cap and using the MLE would be smart, as I don't see a trade that would make us jump the standings.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Melton for the MLE is very attractive to me. I don’t necessarily think we need another off ball point guard as a FVV backup. I want Amen/Jalen/Sengun running enough of the offense where it isnt needed.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh man this is going to trigger some folks lol.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They clearly only watched Spurs games. And ones where David Robinson or Duncan didn't play.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Is she supposed to be Pocahontas? At first, I thought he was wearing a cowboy hat. I don’t get it.

15. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

[​IMG]

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like I said.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I seriously doubt if that will be enough for Booker. Jabari, Jalen and all the Brooklyn picks might give us an outside chance. I don't want to do that.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Stone should trade the 9th pick for a top 10 2025 pick, if there's nobody available that can help the team in the short and medium term.

Rokman likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not a bad photoshoot if you ignore that both are attention whoring and overstressing their style of half nude and pop art fashion sense.

Kudos to @AroundTheWorld for finding it, finder's fee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]