1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He would have been the starting SG, and backup PG on this year's team......and Ime would have sorted him out.....but alas, it went sideways in NY.

And you bet your ass I would give him a 2nd look at a minimum contract.....can't be afraid to take risks, that is how greatness is made.

DD

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol at Ime sorting out KPJ

KPJ can't handle a coach like Ime with his immaturity, impulsivity, and fragile ego...gimme a break

this the same MFer who drove off a halftime

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. left the stadium during halftime of Saturday night's home game against the Denver Nuggets after a heated exchange in the locker room with Houston assistant coach John Lucas, sources tell The Athletic. The Rockets went on to lose 124-111.

Sources said Lucas called out multiple players, including Porter and Christian Wood — who was benched after missing a mandatory COVID-19 testing window — during halftime, focusing on Porter’s play and Wood's effort level. As things escalated, Porter threw an object, needed to be separated from Lucas and then got in his car and left the arena. Wood refused to sub into the game in the second half, sources added.

but wait, there's more

Lucas requires Green to participate in the early sessions on game days. They are optional for Porter, whose attendance has been sporadic.

"It's his third year, and I've got to respect that," Lucas says. "I'm waiting for him to come willingly."

Lucas compares his approach to Porter's development to "kid gloves," saying he gauges Porter's mood before determining how hard to push him that day. Lucas worries that Porter will tune him out if he demands too much.

KPJ would be demanding a trade after 1 week with Ime...stop the nonsense

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I just don't see a world where KPJ handles Ime's tough love. It just ain't happening. KPJ would have swung at Ime by now if he was on the team.

I also see KPJ getting into it with FVV also. FVV had issues with Scottie Barnes and Barnes has a much better head on his shoulders than KPJ.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He should leave that team on his own so at least he would have on his resume that ONE team didn't dump him

DaDakota likes this.
  6. DaDakota

Katers gonna Kate.

;)

DD

nejyh likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, KPJ would not have survived Ime's coaching style. Come on DD, the team was walking on eggshells to keep this guy from acting out.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Even if KPJ would have survived Ime, writing was clear on the wall that he had been and was a bad influence. That is exactly why Stone/Tillman cut bait. They gave him chance after chance and he finally went too far.

As well, KPJ cant create others or even really consistently create his own own shot inside the arc. He would have been 6th man. There is no reality where KPJ Will ever be better than what we see from Green next year. Even knowing that 2024-2025 Green is an unknown.

For ****takes it is all about narrative.

9. DaDakota

Do you honestly see Ime walking on Egg shells?

KPJ didn't need coddling he needed a firmer hand. A direct, honest, no bullshit coach like Ime.

DD

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lucas attempted that and saw it didn't work for KPJ.

Rocketeer likes this.
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I would throw a 3 year max at James Harden before throwing a 1 year minimum at KPJ.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

he couldnt even handle lucas tough love and u think he could handle ime? yea right

13. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

I admire your refusal to admit things.

Rocketeer likes this.
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

He coached to a perfect record with elementary students.

Yinka Dare likes this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't, which is why I don't think he would of survived Ime's coaching style. You are ignoring all the different angles the team tried for this young man. They tried soft ass Silas. They tried hard ass Lucas. Lucas even went soft when he noticed his typical was not going to work. They gave him a prominent role on a team with no direction. The only thing they kind of ****ed up is not having an actual strong veteran on the team (EG is not about that life).

Even then, he wouldn't have survived. I know you won't accept that. I don't know why. The evidence is stacked against you. All we can do is speculate based on the evidence available on his career.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

plus whatever strategies his HS teams tried, USC tried, and the cavs tried

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You just described John Lucas and KPJ ran off like a spoiled brat. Lucas tried both ways and nothing worked. Just stop.

18. DaDakota

Lucas is nothing like IME as far as that goes, he struggles with his past and believability because of it.

His drug addled past and checkered history should have been a lesson for KPJ, but I don't believe KPJ's type of personality responds to that, he needed a firmer hand, IMHO.

There is a REASON that Lucas is not on Ime's staff.....

Well having a different opinion is what drives this thing, sometimes people agree, sometimes they don't....I firmly believe that KPJ will turn his life around and his mercurial talent will rise to the top for whichever team he is playing for at that time.

I get that his days as a Rocket are 99% likely to be over - I just wish Ime had him for a time - just think we would be in the playoffs if he did.

Yep, some players take a while longer to mature.

DD

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Doubt it very much it has something to do with KPJ ..... Udoka did not have use for a life coach meet assistant coach.

99% are against that mercurial talent coming back to the Rockets, that is all.

The Rockets are not Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.

Rocketeer likes this.
  20. DaDakota

Oh, I agree, but if Lucas was good at it, he would have still been here, he wasn't.

I admit plenty of when I am wrong - but this is an opinion - I am not of the same mind as the crowd, not my first rodeo in that regard - it's ok.....

In the end, it doesn't matter, he isn't hear and is unlikely to ever be here again, but as long as people want to talk about him, I am right here.

DD