1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray about it, Brother A_3PO.

FLASH21 likes this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

First example that came to mind were the Morris twins. When Phoenix drafted Markieff 13th overall and we drafted Marcus 14th overall in 2011 they both mentioned in their subsequent pressers that they had never been separated from each other till that day. I feel like that aspect of their lives might just be that significant where it could take a massive toll on their identity or lack thereof, without their twin by their side.

On another note: anyone else find it interesting how Lassiter’s game style fits more apropos to being a run stuffing in the box Safety and Bullock’s runs more in line with an outside “shutdown” corner?

It’ll be fun to see how these defensive pieces are maneuvered throughout camp and the preseason. Might give a bit of insight on how they’re viewed going into the regular season.

Overall, I’m just glad we got some DOGS!!!

CVcrew and Blatz like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...losers-steals-sleepers-favorite-picks-classes

Houston Texans: B+

Top needs entering the draft: Cornerback, defensive tackle, offensive line

For a team without a first-round pick -- the Texans traded theirs to the Vikings in March in a deal that saw them add a 2025 second-rounder, among other selections -- Houston had a nice Friday. It filled a void at cornerback with Kamari Lassiter (42), who might have been a first-rounder if he was a little faster. He consistently locked down corners at Georgia and allowed 2.8 yards per attempt as a primary defender in coverage last season, which ranked third in the FBS. Offensive tackle Blake Fisher (59) had a chance to be a first-rounder in 2025 if he had returned to Notre Dame. As the Fighting Irish's right tackle the past two seasons, he was a little inconsistent, but the tools are there to be an NFL starter.

The Texans used their extra fourth-rounder to move up in Round 3 to take safety Calen Bullock (78), who had nine interceptions in college and who can play as a center fielder in the NFL. Houston ranked 29th in yards per pass attempt allowed (7.7) last season, so this fits a need area. Tight end Cade Stover (123) made my favorites list; he has flown under the radar but has soft hands and can find open spots in coverage.

Houston GM Nick Caserio pulled off a solid, if unspectacular, class for what he had to work with this weekend.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...l-draft-best-picks-trades-qb-fits-predictions

What was the best value pick in Round 3?

Miller: Calen Bullock, S, to the Texans (No. 78). He was No. 55 in my final rankings and my top safety. So, yeah, the Texans stole him. We know Bullock isn't the most physical player, but he's an elite ball hawk who can own the center of the field in the passing game. Teams that throw it up deep will regret it with Bullock patrolling the backend, as he has four career interceptions. The Texans have the pass rush to force quarterbacks into quick decisions, and that's where Bullock's range and instincts will stand out.

Which team produced your least favorite class?

Miller: Tennessee Titans. It was a draft of reaches for the Titans in Brian Callahan's first one with general manager Ran Carthon in Tennessee. The team first reached for offensive tackle JC Latham at No. 7, at least based on my No. 34 ranking of him. The same goes for Texas defensive tackle T'Vondre Sweat, a player whom teams had dropped to the third day after a DWI arrest earlier in April. He went No. 38 to the Titans. Linebacker Cedric Gray and cornerback Jarvis Brownlee Jr. are very solid players from Day 3. But the Titans didn't address left tackle (Latham is really a right tackle), edge rusher or wide receiver early in the draft, and that will hurt the team's development.

https://theathletic.com/5453879/2024/04/28/nfl-draft-2024-analysis-bruce-feldman/

11. My favorite value picks by round:

1. Bears: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington (No. 9)
    2. Commanders: Mike Sainristil, DB, Michigan (No. 50)
    3. Steelers: Payton Wilson, LB, NC State (No. 98) … or Giants: Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky (No. 70)
    4. Texans: Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State (No. 123)
    5. Bills: Javon Solomon, DE, Troy (No. 168)
    6. Cowboys: Ryan Flournoy, WR, Southeast Missouri State (No. 216)
    7. Raiders: MJ Devonshire, CB, Pitt (No. 229)

4. showa13

showa13 Member

And here I was thinking Nick was a terrible GM cause he didn’t draft my favorite prospect in the 4th round

5. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Everyone got a B or higher. Even the falcons and panthers.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Carolina got a B- and Atlanta got a C.

But we will know in a few years what the grades should really be for every team.

jch1911 and Sooty like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

I agree, day after draft grades are dumb. (Or “winners” & “losers”)

And subjective.

Why did Dallas get a B-? Didn’t take a RB. … “What keeps Dallas from a higher grade? Not taking a running back in place of Liufau, particularly with several really good ones available.”

Why did Jacksonville get a B-? Didn’t take a CB. … “My quibble? Baalke could have gotten his pick of the cornerback class at No. 17. Cooper DeJean, Terrion Arnold and Quinyon Mitchell were all on the board, and each could have been a rookie starter for a defense that allowed 18 touchdown passes to opposing wideouts last season, the fifth most in the NFL. … Baalke threw a few late picks at his cornerback room, but I'm not sure that's enough for a team with questions there. I do like Thomas, though, and his contract is certainly much cheaper than Ridley's.”

Why did this team or that team get a lower grade? “I had this guy with a 5th round grade and they took him 100 spots higher!”

Cardinals: A
    Eagles: A
    Steelers: A-
    Commanders: A-
    Ravens: B+
    Texans: B+
    Chiefs: B+
    Chargers: B+
    Rams: B+
    Bills: B
    Bears: B
    Bengals: B
    Lions: B
    Packers: B
    Colts: B
    Raiders: B
    Dolphins: B
    Patriots: B
    Saints: B
    Giants: B
    Jets: B
    Bucs: B
    Panthers: B-
    Cowboys: B-
    Jaguars: B-
    49ers: B-
    Seahawks: B-
    Browns: C+
    Broncos: C+
    Vikings: C+
    Titans: C+
    Falcons: C

vince and Salvy like this.
  8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Certainly agree on your classification of draft grades as meaningless. I have no proof, but got the feeling (especially watching Caserio’s body language in press conference immediately following day 2) that the draft hadn’t gone as they’d hoped and strategized and I would “speculate” that has to do with the run on DT’s that occurred before their first pick in round 2. They simply pivoted to another position of need (CB) and moved on. But I didn’t detect the giddy excitement of a GM that felt they’d just hit the ball out of the park. They’d never tell the public, but one wonders if they regret not trading up during the draft or trading out of the 1st RD before the draft in retrospect?

Sooty and jch1911 like this.
  9. conquistador#11

This draft is going to look like the 2021 Draft, a damn good one.
    Calen and Stover were my favorites.
    In a few seasons, We will be arguing if Lassiter is deserving of a bag. "Breh, he only had 13 PDs and 5 ints because of the front 7. Let the Raiders pay him 17 mil".

Stover's chemistry with Coleridge is going to shine right away but we need 3 TEs. Jordan has made strides.

TheFreak, houstonstime and zeeshan2 like this.
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed, although I feel safe in giving the Eagles a very high draft grade given all the 2025 picks they got via trades while still drafting some good players this weekend.

Sooty, J.R. and ApacheWarrior like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

*Trade for Diggs brought Texans to (A-)
    Diggs brings experience at All Pro level; but feels he never gets enough passes thrown his way
    (is one of the most targeted receivers over the years)

*Not fond of picks
    #42 Lassiter (CB) [ slower yet good QB Rtg against, no TD's against for season.....I like others]
    #188 Jamal Hill (LB)

*Ok with picks
    #59 Blake Fisher (OT)
    #78 Bullock (S)
    #123 Cade Stover (TE) (CJ Stroud familiar with each other)

*Can't get made about possible "Special Teams Candidates"
    #205 Jawhar Jordan (RB)
    #238 Solomon Byrd (DE)
    #247 Marcus Harris (DT)
    #249 LaDarius Henderson (OL)

I would have added with #42 or at #188....(As they were available)

Kris Jenkins (DT)
    Max Melton (CB)
    Rakestraw (CB)
    Tyler Nubin (CB)
    Javon Bullard (S)
    Roman Wilson (WR)
    Blake Corum (RB)
    McKinnley Jackson (DT)
    Dez Walker (WR)
    Bucky Irving (RB)
    TJ Tampa (CB)

Texans: B

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

As someone who watches zero college football and has never heard of most guys who go outside of the top 10, it's nice to finally have confidence in the organization that those picks will work out.

Sooty and zeeshan2 like this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

15. raining threes

There's going to be a learning curve for Bullock

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Housport

Housport Member

This is how Draft grades should be done. Your giving a draft grade on a point in time which is April of 2024. The Draft can be regraded at a later time after everyone has finished playing. Players draft value will go up or down depending on how well they play with their new teams and injuries happen that can sidetrack players playing career. Pittsburgh, Washington, and Philadelphia had excellent drafts. Philadelphia executed excellent trades and gathered additional picks for next years draft.
    I will disagree with Arizona. Arizona drafted MHJ with their first pick which was so easy (Best Player in the draft). Ossi is really good executing trades, but he's terrible at evaluating talent. Arizona had about 11 more picks in the draft. There were so many reaches in their selections and much better players available when they selected.

Tennessee, Atlanta, Cleveland made a bunch of head scratching moves. I did not like the Colts draft. Too many of their top draft picks were recovering from major injuries or had health issues (Latu, Mitchell, Goncalves).

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I thought it was a solid draft for quality depth and a few may come up and surprise us........................B+, might not be the sexiest draft but its solid.

raining threes likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This,

Not sexy, but it did feel very geared toward depth filler.

the CB from Georgia though, extremely underrated.

Had a first round grade until his slower 40 time.

Richard Sherman 4.56
    Aquib Talib 4.5
    Chris Harris Jr 4.48

Instincts, quick burst etc are important.

Had an elite 3 cone drill and he shut down some of the nations top WR when asked.

May be your starting nickel, but he did play on the outside well in college.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

They compared Calen to Reggie Nelson. I would be ecstatic if we got Bengals era Reggie Nelson.

20. vince

vince Member

I got the same feeling, they definitely got players with the first 2 picks in their cluster range, but they didn’t get the #1 target guy in their cluster for either pick. I think they were keeping their fingers crossed that they’d be there because it was getting pretty close.

Still think they are happy with the guys they picked, but I think they got beat to the punch when teams jumped in front to pick guys most get the feeling the Texans were targeting. Hence they disappointed body language most of us picked up on.

So when Bullock was still available in the 3rd round, the Texans paid a 4th round pick to jump 4 spots if not they were going to lose out on another #1 guy in their cluster. I think they learned from being frugal with their previous 2 selections.

still a draft that adds key talent, but I think the Texans got outflanked with how they were trying to maneuver this draft.

conquistador#11 likes this.