1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Meh. I'm pretty excited. They basically retooled their secondary and added much needed depth at tackle.

I used to be a massive Cowboys fan. The most excited I've ever seen a fanbase about a non-QB draft pick was when the Cowboys traded their first and second picks to draft Morris Claiborne. I also remember a collective "yawn" when they drafted Tyron Smith.

Also, I'm an ND guy, so I am genuinely excited about Fisher. The dude is a fantastic tackle prospect. He was our LT on day one, but got hurt in the first game, which allowed Alt to solidify himself as our LT.

#4041 Houston77, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

That’s what I am saying and why? No one took a db before where our pick was

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

“Names” I would like to grab:

TJ Tampa, CB
    Jaden Hicks, S
    JT Sanders, TE
    Troy Franklin, WR
    Javon Baker, WR
    Cam Hart, CB
    Jaylen Wright, RB
    Ray Davis, RB
    Jordan Jefferson, DE
    Kris Abrams-Draine, CB
    Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, CB
    Nathaniel Watson, LB
    Theo Johnson, TE
    Gabe Hall, DL
    Jaylan Ford, LB
    DJ James, CB
    Braelon Allen, RB
    Jaheim Bell, TE
    Isaac Guerendo, RB
    Leonard Taylor III, DT
    Will Shipley, RB
    James Williams, LB/S

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Jayded

Jayded Member

Let’s see some weapons today. This is when it can be fun to target some sleeper weapons to bolster our starters and give CJ more options.

We still need a DT but it makes you wonder if the real value is just elsewhere at this point. Would love a WR, TE, and RB today. If they still like one of the DTs then do it, but I’m hoping we can pick a rotational weapon today that surprises us or pushes our non-starters to improve.

sydmill likes this.
  5. Champs

Champs Member

Yes, Autry and Fukasi are currently our starting DT’s in the 3rd most important unit behind QB and OL. Ooof. We aren’t gonna get a real impact player at DT at this point unless we hit the lottery. I guess it is what it is. It is our achilles but very worrisome.

The best chance at impact today is at RB imo. Unless Pierce makes a comeback we are very thin at RB.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

There's real value at the TE and RB positions.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I thought so at first as well, but then the 49ers made virtually the same trade a few picks later. Traded 94 and 132 for 86.

8. raining threes

If Caserio walks out of today with these guys I will be very happy.

Wiley
    Blake Watson
    Nate Watson
    Mekahi Wingo

9. raining threes

They got their guy and that's all that really matters.

10. Housport

Housport Member

There was no Texans secret ranking board. All the other teams knew what was on the Texans Big board.

The Texans were probably set to pick Cooper DeJean to play Safety/Nickel with their first 2nd rounder until the Eagles traded up in front of the Texans.
    Then the Texans were going to select Safety Calvin Bullard with their second 2nd rounder but was selected by Green Bay with the prior selection.
    And finally the Texans were set on Safety Calen Bullock with their 3rd rounder and said "Screw it" lets trade up this time to make sure we get our target player.

Shark44 and raining threes like this.
  11. raining threes

Fisher is an OT. He was drafted to cover for the re-signing of Howard mistake.

Day two S covers for Ward when he gets hurt again.

Shark44 likes this.
  12. Housport

Housport Member

If your starting Bullock at FS, then you move Ward over to play slot/nickel. And Desmond King backs up Ward.

mightybosstone and GOATuve like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My point. Nobody discussing the draft in here knows exactly what was on their board, or what their plan was. Everyone was guessing, and most got it wrong. So what? Just because people say things about who they wanted, if they would have traded up or down, or how they saw players ranked shouldn't make them patronized by other posters. There's no point in a forum discussion if you think only your opinion is right. I like seeing other people's viewpoints, because I don't watch much college ball myself.

14. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

See if you can trade both 6th's and a 7th to get a 5th...

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That might be part of it....but it could also be a move made for the future given that the team is likely to need cap relief in a few years and they can cut a 32 year old Tunsil and save 21 million dollars if there is a valid, cheaper replacement on the roster.

Howard gets to go back to his natural position this season, it's his chance to show that when playing the proper position, he's a quality lineman. If he fails, then Fisher is the fail-safe.

Buck Turgidson and Hemingway like this.
  16. Housport

Housport Member

With the 4th rounder, the biggest remaining need right now is RB.

Ray Davis
    Will Shipley
    Tyrone Tracy
    Dylan Laube
    Jaden Shirden

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, when he started slipping the medicals had to be the determining factor. Steelers taking a gamble, but if he can give them 3-4 good years that maybe what they're hoping for. Steelers are having a really good draft on paper so far.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It will always be a “what have you done for me lately” situation. Caserio and DeMeco have been on absolute fire the last year so willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But if we are trying to win a SB now, I would have rather them move up for Newton, DeJean, Kool-Aid, Hall Jr., or Bullard.

19. Champs

Champs Member

It was expensive to trade up yesterday. But we desperately needed a DT over all else.

20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Just give me Leonard Taylor, Malik Washington and Kendall Milton today and I'll be happy.