1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What I don’t understand, if we are talking intellectual property, is why we can’t make a full uniform out of “Htown blue” which is a different color composition than Columbia blue. They don’t own all of light blue.

And on that note, how come when teams made a black alternate a la lions, eagles, etc… why didn’t the Steelers raise hell?

2. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Yeah someone calling an argument an emotional reaction is a pretty clear way to indicate that one doesn’t have a good rebuttal. I never followed the Oilers and don’t care about their history.

I feel like you are conflating the Oilers history and their rights to it with all shades of blue that are similar to the Oilers blue. The Titans have every right to protect the Oiler history. They should have no right to dictate what color a Houston football team can use just because they used to have a team there. If they wanted to have an influence on a Houston football team then they shouldn’t have left the city in the first place.

And you keep bringing up the NFL agreeing with the Titans, but it isn’t that clear cut. At first the NFL was fine with the Texans having a light blue jersey. Then the Titans complained and the NFL wasn’t ok with it anymore (this is the part I have a problem with). Lastly the Texans complained and now the NFL is ok with the Texans using the color as an accent while also selling light blue merchandise. So no, the NFL didn’t end up agreeing with the Titans, at least not completely.

Hey Now!, macho GRANDE and Blatz like this.
  3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

4. conquistador#11

I want to file a cease and desist letter to the Rams for using the Old English.

MadMax and red5rocket like this.
  5. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

I just checked fanatics. Now there are 15-25 items that are selling as “Most Popular”. What a job by the marketing department.

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I love the white pants with the deep blue jersey

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

8. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If they were petty or had a rivalry with the NFL, the would 100%.

Rival schools have done 100x pettier things to each other

10. magman

magman Member

Overall, I think the uniforms are good, still not really liking the H on the helmet. Would have preferred this logo on the color rush uniform helmet.

11. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

12. prs325

prs325 Member

Wished the Rockets do a fan collaboration with their Jersey instead of capitalizing the China market based on a player
    Goes to show that fans have creative, unique ideas and understand the pulse of what the team means to the city
    Although I have to admit the dunkstronaut was a genuine hit

13. Qan

Qan Member

One of the smartest move the Rockets did at that time was taking advantage of that market. I won't fault them for doing it, but it's time for them to rebrand...that phase is over.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Coupled with the single dumbest marketing move they ever did...

which is how we got the pajama uniforms right after winning 2 championships?

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The only thing left from that phase is the logo. The jerseys and merch and whatnot have mostly left the Dracula R behind. It still bugs me when I see it used as the primary representation for the team in infographics on the web and on tv. It stands out in a bad way.

16. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Quite a few htown blue items now sold out online. I imagine when the Stroud And Tank Dell Jerseys are put online those go quickly too.

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Those were (IMO) the ugliest uniforms I have ever seen................maybe the Steelers throwbacks (Bumble Bees) were worse, but they only wore them a few times each season

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ugly and the timing could not have been worse

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

To answer the former: because there isn't a knife in existence capable of splitting the hair necessary to draw a distinction between "shades" of light blue. It's like Vanilla Ice arguing they didn't steal the bass line from Under Pressure:

Tapping into Houston's Oiler nostalgia is *literally* the only reason to add that color - in whatever shade. To the extent light blue is associated with Houston, it is 100% because of the Oilers. The city has no other connection to that color, no matter how the team tries to sell it differently.

As for the Steelers, their connection to those other teams is not remotely similar to the Titans' connection to Houston/the Texans - we can't just dismiss that dynamic and assume every team is equal. Regardless, you're asking the wrong question. The Steelers brand isn't black - it's black and gold. So the more appropriate question is: if the Cleveland Brown discovered that the 1748 Cleveland Breadbreakers of the National Football Association, or whatever, wore black and gold so they've made an alternate uniform of black and gold - but! Don't worry - it's a *different* shade of gold, is it your contention the Steelers would shrug their shoulders and not care?? And further that you'd side with the Browns in that situation?

That's the thing: to have this discussion, we have to at least agree on a standard: the Texans are absolutely poking the bear. I'm not against them doing that, or saying they shouldn't. But the Oiler nostalgia (and, perhaps, sticking it to Tennessee) is driving the decision. We have to agree to agree on that. From there, it's much easier to understand why Tennessee would throw a fit.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

With respect, if your argument is that who owns the name, brand, colors of a franchise isn't relevant - and maybe I've misunderstood your position here? - then that is indeed emotion overriding facts and commons sense. The Titans own the Oilers name, logo and branding, as well as the history.

For many here, it *IS* emotional, and there is still considerable amount of anger towards the Adams and that franchise for what they did to the fans. This is a *much* different conversation if the Texans had rebranded as... garnet and gold, and the 49ers came after them.

Again, they have *every* right if they believe their intellectual property is being devalued. And the NFL very clearly agreed with their assertion that it was - if the reports of a much more prominent Oiler-inspired uniform was shelved.

Reread what your posted and help me understand how you're not explicitly describing the NFL agreeing with the Titans?...

And I've bolded a part I am fairly certain simply isn't true. The NFL doesn't approve it *and then* send it out to the other 31 teams for their approval. It is a collective process in which all teams are given the opportunity to engage before a final decision is made.

The story - which, again, is coming from the Texans , who are pissed at the Titans - is that Nike came to the Texans with the Oiler-centric design and the Titans complained and the NFL told them to kill it. I've never heard the NFL reversed their approval. Again, I'm fairly certain that's made up.

In terms of light blue making it into the Texans' final uniform somehow vindicating the Titans were wrong... I'm guessing here but feel fairly certain this got *contentious* behind the scenes. You can tell the McNairs are NOT happy. And - again, speculating - I think the NFL likely sided with the Titans, at which point the Texans made many of the arguments fans have made (you don't own a color; etc, etc) and the end result is the compromise of the negotiation.

I'm only arguing I think the Titans were well-within their right to raise an objection. And the NFL could've told them to kick rocks. But they didn't - so, clearly, the NFL felt the Titans' objection had merit, too.