1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

To be clear, I did not imply they would/could "stop" it nor that their radar would be set on *any* team. The issue here is the connection between the two specific franchises.

Tennessee's contention is that that color is unique to their franchise. And you know what? They're not wrong! And the Texans wanting to use it - because it is *specifically* associated with the Oilers - proves Tennessee's point. And the NFL obviously agreed with them because they restricted how much Columbia(ish) blue the Texans could use.

To me, the issue here is that the NFL should not allow history to move with franchises. And that new locations should steadfastly reject that history. And that franchises should be focused on forging a new, unique identity in their new location. But the NFL doesn't; Tennessee isn't; and the Titans wont. So we have a very specific fight. And in that context, I get why Tennessee would throw a fit.

So, no - I don't think Arizona would have any reason to be upset with the Texans wearing all red (different shades, no less). Honestly, to pull any other team isn't a relevant argument. This is about the new Houston team fighting with the old Houston team.

verse, macho GRANDE and Slim like this.
  2. Hey Now!

I think it's splitting hairs to draw some distinction between the shades of blue.

Let me ask you a very simple question: why did the Texans want to incorporate light blue into their uniforms? The answer, of course, is the city's tie to the Oilers. It is clear and intentional.

I'll stand proudly with any one who screams and yells the Oilers should have been retired when the team moved. But they weren't so I can understand why the Titans threw a fit.

HillBoy likes this.
  3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

A beauty

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

I hate Bud Adams as much as anyone. **** that guy. But I'll briefly defend him here: the Oilers meant a lot to him. They were named for his family business, etc. etc. I don't really have *any* issue with him wanting to keep/protect Oilers. Any of us would do the same.

To me, this is on the NFL for allowing franchise history to move with a team. If you want to uproot your team and **** over a fan base, losing your history and identity should be the cost. But they don't. To me, that's the issue here.

macho GRANDE, houstonstime and Slim like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Oh, to be very clear... breaking out the Oilers uniforms last year was very clearly petty. Yeah, **** them for doing that. It was gross. I am in no way defending that bullshit.

But the issue isn't strictly merchandise money. Consider this... there are more than a few Oilers fans who stayed with the team and became Titan fans, right? Well, designing uniforms that specifically harken back to the Oilers is a deliberate call to those Houstonian Titan fans to come back. That's what I mean when I use "brand" here. You would be surprised how attached people are to logos, colors. laundry... Look at the fight in Cleveland to keep Chief Wahoo or Atlanta to keep the Braves. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and the Texans are absolutely - intentionally - dealing some grade-a **** here, lol. And look! The Oiler uniforms were clearly designed to lure Houstonians with a deep attachment to those colors back, too! They were handing out free nostalgia samples to try and get us hooked, as well!

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Titans beef/argument should end at are the Texans wearing throwback oiler uniforms or something incredibly similar? If no then the argument is over.

Disallowing use of a shade of a color as a primary is a super weak position regardless of the current NFL stance or the history between the 2 teams. We’ll see how much that softens over time and I expect that the Texans ultimately get pretty close to what they want.

macho GRANDE, Blatz and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. conquistador#11

To me if you did what U of H and Rice did, then yeah, the not hot Amy Adams has a right to throw her fit.
    But using a similar shade of blue when teams before the Titans and Oilers have used a similar color should be no big deal. It makes no sense to only beef with Houston. Eagles used that blue in 1933. It's stupid. Hannah should organize these other teams with blue and drive the point home to the Commissar. Maybe they did more harm to their cause by calling it "Htown" blue and getting under Amy's rubber skin.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree. It's so stupid to fight over a color anyway. Too many shades look the same, and calling your shade your own is silly. You can barely tell a difference between the reds, blues, or other colors in the league anyway. Focus more on design, logos, creativity of mixing colors in the design, and not owning a color.

BigM likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/broncos-je...ve-new-uniforms-lets-rank-them-142506518.html

Broncos, Jets, Lions and Texans have new uniforms. Let's rank them
    Frank Schwab

Let's rank the NFL's new uniforms for 2024:

4. Denver Broncos
    3. Detroit Lions
    2. New York Jets

1. Houston Texans

Whoever redesigned the Texans' uniforms deserves a raise.

It is hard for the Texans to win the day on a uniform release. They can't get nostalgia points like the Broncos, Lions and Jets. They've had one uniform in their fairly short history. An expansion team from 2002 can't tap into the feelings of fans who pine for what life was like in 1994.

And the Texans still crushed it. Every single combination they rolled out is excellent.

And let's give an extra shout-out to the dark blue alternates with the red numbers, which aren't just the best of this lot but might be among the best uniforms in the NFL right away. If you're a Texans fan and don't have a No. 7 C.J. Stroud H-Town alternate jersey before Week 1, what are you even doing?

As a whole, the NFL will look better on the field this season with the introduction of these four new uniforms and all of their various combinations. The Texans are one of the NFL's rising teams and while it's a lot to ask of them to win a Super Bowl this season, they won the uniform rollouts.

Red.Glare likes this.
  10. havoc1

havoc1 Member

First, this is a reach. And second, this still doesn’t mean that the Titans should be able to stop the Texans from designing a uniform that uses a similar blue to the Oilers blue.

The Titans don’t have any claim to anything in Houston, fans or otherwise. They moved their team, and it shouldn’t matter that an owner of a team that deserted a city is worried about keeping whatever fans of that owner’s team still remains in that city. That is ridiculous.

If the Texans were trying to bring back the same Oilers uniform or use the Oilers logo, then I would agree with you. But the Titans shouldn’t be able to dictate what color the Texans use for their uniforms.

J.R. and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Even if you accept all this as true:
    1) The Texans SHOULD be allowed first priority when it comes to luring fans IN THEIR HOME MARKET
    2) The league would sound absolutely stupid if they said "Yeah we can't you have that color because it might make fans in YOUR CITY stop liking a team FROM ANOTHER STATE.

Houston is the city the Texans play in. It's not like the color is something that means something special to people in Arkansas that the Texans are trying to tap into.

It's gross that a team can leave a city and then still say "well we want to block the new team in that city from doing anything that would hurt OUR appeal to the fans in the city WE LEFT."

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

As ridiculous as it all is... whats even more insane is that she went after UH. A NCAA TEAM!!! Are you kidding? I feel like Oregon has a different color uni every game, that was a level of petty I didnt think was possible.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

"not-hot amy adams" sent me.. thank you for that. It would be hard to hate the hot version haha

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Amidst all the other arguments, man I like this one a lot. That is so true. Also, I heard that any jersey sales get split by all 32 teams? If that is the case then why would it matter?

I actually don't care about the color as much, I like it, but its not a deal breaker, I just think the titans are being ridiculous... what I do miss, however, is the name. I know there is absolutely nothing we can do here. we have more claim on the color being related to houston (flag, cop cars, etc) than we do to a name the owner who left picked for his team, I get that. But man, what an awesome and unique name that is just gone now. Houston is Oil. it was perfect. same reason I wish we went with apollos to keep the space theme, but I digress... o well, on a positive note, at least the titans come out looking worse after all this.

kdchilds likes this.
  15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Correct. They own everything associated with the Oilers brand. They played the first two seasons as the Tennessee Oilers before renaming as the Titans. The time to do something about keeping the Oilers brand passed decades ago when Bud moved the team because, unlike Cleveland, nobody in Houston gave enough of a damn to take him and the NFL to court to force him to relinquish the Oilers brand and history.

I see your point but that’s simply not going to happen. These owners pay billions for these teams and have absolute control over what the NFL can and can’t do. Plus, cities are so desperate to get a team, they will agree to anything. For example, if the Bears were to try to move out of Illinois, could you name one city that would refuse them unless they dropped the name Bears? I don’t think so.

I posted yesterday that it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Bud had a a provision in his will stating that Houston was to never get the Oilers name and property back because he was that much of a POS. All the folks here trying to make it some sort of “personal” thing between the Titans and Texans are simply buying into the PR campaign underway by the Texans (especially Cal & Hanna) to get more Houston football fans to identify with the Texans because like or not, the Cowboys own this state. [/QUOTE]

16. Hey Now!

They very clearly didn't stop them. That's not the argument being made.

This is objectively wrong. They own 36 years of history that occurred in Houston.

Again, they didn't dictate: they limited. Their contention, per the reports, was that the Oiler blue was too prominent. And the NFL very obviously agreed with them.

So, yeah - it seems they most certainly *can* and *did* restrict color usage.

HillBoy likes this.
  17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I think you need to take a moment and review the meaning of “Intellectual Property”.

18. Hey Now!

I agree with every word of this. But I keep going back to the fact the NFL, per reports, *agreed* with Tennessee, and limited how much Oiler blue the Texans could use.

We can be mad at all the circumstances that led to that. But very clearly the NFL did not see the Titans' complaint as petty.

houstonstime and HillBoy like this.
  19. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

They didn’t agree with Tennessee. The Texans made their case to be able to use ANY of it. Amy Dipsh*t did not wanting us using any. The NFL initially approved the uniforms and designed them that included more blue. It’s a matter of time before it happens.

kdchilds and macho GRANDE like this.
  20. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member