1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Cubs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Major

Major Member

So says the guy that, without knowing who the manager would be this year, thought this team would win 102+ games based on the talent they have. If Dusty was costing them games to get down to 90, Espada would have to be the worst manager in history to be the on the pace they are on. Or maybe, as was the case through Dusty's entire coaching history, he actually was making the team better. 26 years worth of data, or a random fan's hubris? Hard call.

ROCKSS, KePoW and Mr.Scarface like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

If they don't do SOMETHING soon, the team doesn't really deserve support from the fans. They can't continue rolling the same **** out there, losing every day with it, and expecting blind loyalty. They have options. Not enough of them to probably make a difference unfortunately, but at least do ****ing something to show you care as an organization. Make a roster move. Bring up Loperfido. Make ANY kind of a splash just to show us you're alive! Because the lack of urgency is making it seem like they really don't give a ****. I know that they do, it would just be nice to see some kind of evidence of it.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Dusty's 20+ years of data equaled 0 championships before Houston.

Maybe Espada is the worst manager, but it's highly doubtful a guy like Hunter Brown (or any other player) instantly sucked because of the manager.

It's also doubtful the Astros lose the LCS last season if Diaz is playing instead of the overdose of Maldonado.

The season is still young. If you believe the Astros will lose 90 games because of the manager, go ahead.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don’t know if most of my life they deserved my support, but I also wouldn’t wanna do a summer without them…even when they’re not good. I hope their pitching gets healthy, but I don’t really think it will matter at this point. The hole is probably too deep. But where am I going? lol

Uprising, Roxoff, ROCKSS and 3 others like this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yep. Right there with you. I'll watch it anyway...

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Guess our only chance to win is when JV pitches. lol

Uprising likes this.
  7. CinematicFusion

Astros season ticket sales record shows fan optimism in championship window
    H-Town is going to be electric for the Astros upcoming season.”

Well… about that…

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I missed this game so didn’t watch this but I’m not surprised in the least Jake did this again. I’ve complained before how despite how good he is defensively he consistently lacks awareness. No sense of urgency or lackadaisical after fielding balls, throwing to the wrong base, losing track of runners, etc. I’m pretty sure no one in the incompetent catching staff said a thing to him.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Espada might be absolute trash, I have no idea, but the Astros have the worst ERA in baseball. Colorado doesn’t count. The problem is staring us right in the face. Blown saves, blown first innings. A pressing offense to make up the difference. This isn’t currently a managerial problem. If they don’t get healthy and pitch better, than this is the team we’re going to have regardless of who is managing it.

The bright side is it’s not even May and we’re in the AL West. Or this could be the beginning of the end. We’ll find out.

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am dumbfounded the last 2 games we are getting pummeled in the first inning and then they actually settled down and pitched OK, hell spaghetti ended up with 7 k`s. Our hitting with RISP is horrendous and then we get a scenerio like last night where Jose gets a HR in the 9th yet no one was on base. Blown saves, crappy starting pitching, no hits with RISP, dumb mistakes (Jake and Jose on multiple occasions) and some really bad breaks are killing us and I get that teams will go through slumps. Espada may not be able to control all of that but he can sure make a change at first, he can certainly use Hader in the right scenario, and he dam sure can light a fire under some people`s asses so I dont blame him for everything but he can do SOMETHING and simply wont or cant. This can be turned around but we better do something quickly before its to late.........The last 2 nights have been tough to watch but I will still watch, its summer dam it and I need the Stros to get on track, its no fun watching like this.............I am to spoiled dam it

Radricky likes this.
  11. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

We should probably use an opener for the AAA pitchers.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  12. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I'm on board with this. Dont use our big 3, use Whitley.

Stephen66 likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Manager issue.

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. Radricky

Radricky Member

So it seems like abreu is playing every other game.
    Espada won’t bench singleton after he had a good night will he?

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There seems no rhyme or reason to what Espada does or doesn't do.

Stephen66, Hank McDowell and ROCKSS like this.
  16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Fun Facts:

Last time the Astros were 7-18....

The year was 2013...
    • The Team finished with 111 losses.
    • The Payroll at the end of the season was $13 million (30th in MLB).....
    • Bud Norris was the highest paid player at $3 million/yr
    2024: Astros have the 3rd highest payroll...

Jose Abreu is making more than that entire team's payroll...lol.

The comparison between the rosters and pay....wow.
    https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/payroll/_/year/2024/sort/cap_total2

ROCKSS and jim1961 like this.
  17. Uprising

This. As miserable as it is to be a fan at times. I just can't stop following the team or watching them when I'm able to.... This season has been one of the harder ones to watch so far, considering what our roster / payroll is.....much different feeling watching them lose now than the 100 loss years leading up to our 7 year run.

MadMax and ROCKSS like this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

19. Uprising

Time for a 20 game winning streak....in JV we trust....

[​IMG]

20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Wonder if he was reading the back of baseball cards.

htownrox1 and ROCKSS like this.