1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Presidents of Harvard, MIT, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, Penn should be forced to resign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 5, 2023.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I mean I also condemn “antisemitic protests” too. It doesn’t mean that all protests happening right now are antisemitic.

I do think Biden’s comments made in passing to the press on his way to AF1 were wrong in not clarifying better who he’s condemning out of the protests instead of the blanket statement.

Still you and I know where Biden and Democrats stand. It’s not that complicated and it’s not that controversial:

-Believe in ability to peacefully protest
    -Support a Palestinian state
    -Support Israel’s ability to protect itself and see them coming under attack as destabilizing to region
    -Not as tough as they should be on conditioning military aid
    -Anti Terrorism/Hamas
    -Too diplomatic with bad actors like Netanyahu

You are welcome to be pissed off at a semantic gaffe if you want to, but I would just encourage folks to focus on the principled actions or inactions here. Yes they should feel some heat on some of the areas that Biden needs to shore up… but I would be careful about being too good guy bad guy here with feeling like you’re purity card will be lost if you don’t 110% take the maximalist support for every single protestor approach.

The vast majority of these protestors I’m sure are good people but there is some possibility that there are pockets of them who has been or are on the pathway to some level of radicalization. We HAVE TO still draw a line in the sand about radicalization and the pathway to softening and accepting more and more violent means to an end.

Biden and Democrats in this country should also have the right to speak with some nuance but condemn radical extremist language that could fuel violence. Yes Biden should have been more careful with the semantics but I understand where he’s coming from cause it’s how I feel too. Antisemitic movements can lead to violence and need to be condemned in this country even if they are legal from a free speech perspective.

I too condemn antisemitic protests. However not everyone protesting for a free Palestine is advocating for the destruction of the Israel but there are some that are… and those that are should be condemned. It’s not that complicated imo.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure it is probably the pro Israel side Thea’s more
    Power to shape narratives. So because one side cant shape narratives as well as the other they should get a pass on illegal behavior and behavior that threatens and intimidates others?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Kick them out. Have the police arrest them all. Just don't label the protests as anti-semetic. Joe Biden just in one sweep labeled hundreds of Jewish protests around the country as anti-semetic.

I get it. Might makes right. Property laws exist. They will be enforced. The enforcement of property rights is an inevitability. My point is that the bad faith narratives create support for the harsh enforcement policies. That's my point.

#943 fchowd0311, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

Do even watch press briefings of the Press Secretary, Secretary of State etc and their back and forth with actual intellectually curious journalists?

4 days ago Bliken said "zero evidence of war crimes committed by the IDF". Not "there is some evidence but not conclusive" but "ZERO EVIDENCE". Hell nah. Biden is no friend of Palestinians. At every corner he has defended Isreali war crimes.

Biden admin is covering Israeli war crimes. He is complicit.

The concept of right to self defense is just a played out narrative now. Israel isn't defending any Isreali civilians now. A bunch of ptsd'd out teens in Gaza picking up small arms in their leveled childhood neighborhoods aren't a threat to Israeli sovereignty.

#944 fchowd0311, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  5. fchowd0311

Also there aren't "anti-Semitic" protests outside of Nazi fight clubs and other fear right wing organizations in the country

Protests have hundreds of people join in, none vetted. Any bad faith actor could jump in and say some unhinged **** and run away and boom you got a click bait viral video of "an anti-semetic protest". That doesn't make the actual entirety of the protest anti-semetic.

I sincerely have a question for you. Biden specifically refers to the Columbia student protests and sit in. Many of the protestors are Jewish students. Are they anti-semetic?

6. dobro1229

No as I said most are pro Palestine. I don’t know why what I said didn’t make that clear. I think what Biden said was semantics and a gaffe. It seems obvious to me that most are good people but some are radicalized by antisemitic propaganda they get from a few anti Israel states in the Middle East.

No I don’t follow every SOS or press secretary conference mostly because it isn’t covered as much as I should be. However as I mentioned yes I think it’s problematic to hug Netanyahu as much as they have been since October. I understand though that a big part of that is a foreign policy show to discourage Iran/Hezbollah and others from sensing weak support and pressing forward with attacking Israel more.

If you want to be pissed at Biden go for it I guess. I just personally see not always right but still rational approach. Nobody in Biden’s admin and certainly not Biden himself asked for the Hamas attacks and they sure as hell didn’t ask for the PR nightmare that is Netanyahu’s overreach in order to divided the world so he can gain more power.

Biden isn’t the enemy here IMO. To think that he actually wanted this is really something I can’t comprehend. The right/Zionists though… hell yeah they wanted this and they want nothing more than to divide the rest of the pro Democratic faction across the West because it creates a pathway for autocrats like Le Pen, Trump, etc. to get elected and then really make life hell for the Palestinians and others in the Muslim world.

rocketsjudoka and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

"I'm a Zionist" - Joe Biden.

Also Joe Biden even during the Obama administration was the lone voice of defending Bibi.

He is uniquely more pro-Idf than the average Democrat politician and even some neo-conservatives.

Look I understand Biden is the better option vs Trump. Just so I make it clear to you. You don't have to defend Biden. Not to someone like me who understands our general elections are a "lesser of two evils" election. I get it.

8. dobro1229

As I said prior he isn’t always correct and has said many many gaffes. I actually think he’s sharper now with the gaffes than he was during the Obama years where he would routinely stick his foot in his mouth.

I know I don’t have to defend Biden to you but it is true that Biden moves with public opinion over the years and sometimes just months. He seems to have some immediate gut reactions and then there’s some logic to how he evolves on the topic. You and I know that Biden isn’t really a Zionist in the same way that a Mike Pence or a Pat Robertson or a Jerry Followill Jr. or whoever is.

What folks refer to as Zionists are those evangelicals that obsess over end times prophecy because it excites them and their base followers the most because they think they are about to go to heaven and be raptured if and when Israel goes to war and 1/3 of the Jews die.

I can speak to this personally because I grew up in a family that believes this stuff and obsess over Revelations and end times prophecy. Much of which isn’t even historically accurate according to the Hebrew text and is drawn more from the minds of evangelical propagandists who wrote garbage like the “Left Behind” series and movies. Trump, Netanyahu, etc. are really just opportunists who use this “Zionism” as a vessel for power. I doubt Trump or BiBi really believe in end times prophecy, but them using it to gain autocratic power is kind of exactly what John was warning about in the book of Revelation (Emperor Nero was obviously who he was referring to).

So if Joe Biden said he’s a Zionist… imo he’s ignorant or was ignorant and said something dumb. From a policy perspective having a 2 state solution is anti Zionist. Your only policy would be war and death of a hell of a lot of Jews. From a policy perspective I think his admin is really just pro Israel which doesn’t mean you are automatically pro Palestinian genocide. The policy is… “It’s complicated” which… it is. Let’s be honest.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. astros123

astros123 Member

Biden was the one who pushed for the Iran deal the most and flew to Europe after his son died to negotiate the deal. When bibi came to senate to bash it biden hated him ever since and Obama has mentions this.

The vast majority of democrats in the senate are more pro Israel than biden. Only 6 senators wanted to put conditions in Israel aid

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That professor was looking for a fight. He wasn't chanting Death to America or promoting it, so I didnt take a side to respond.

As for your false equivalence, might've been ATW who posted a rabbi threatening the "Jewish vote" against dems with veiled words. I didn't like that either, and more or less said the same thing...If they want to weaponize their vote for Israel First, I'm voting for the side to pull us out. GTFO

The conflict is thousands of miles away. Quit ******** on the hand that feeds you and pretending you're making "a difference" by fertilizing public discourse with hate and violence,

Now answer my question. Do you support these assholes chanting Death to America? Do your loins twinge with sympathy as they rage in a land that promotes free speech and tolerance for beliefs whereas their parents native homeland are worse off?

Oh, here are my feeds on this. I don't even like the Bee.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...-to-america-chants-at-rally-in-dearborn-mich/
    https://www.thefp.com/p/american-anti-war-activists-cheer
    https://nypost.com/2024/04/18/us-ne...-told-to-kill-himself-for-carrying-us-flag/?t

#951 Invisible Fan, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  12. fchowd0311

A professor wanting to have another kent state massacre of college students is just as deprived if not more than someone people who say "death to America".

The death to America chant by some random people is such a broad chant that is meaningless. Wanting to stick the national guard on students is a more explicit threat of violence and from a professor.

If you went to throw away explicit violent threats by a professor as trollish then do the same for random humans who chant "death to America".

I think that's fair. If you want to account one dude's call for violence on a group of students as trolling then apply that standard to randos chanting "death to America".

Are you capable of this even handed application?

13. fchowd0311

If I was a right wing troll who wanted to erase the concept of empathy for Palestinians I'll just run into a protesting crowd and chant "death to America" or "go Hamas!" And boom I can get folks like you to ignore 99% of the protesting body of humans empathetic towards Palestinians

Because people are idiots like yourself.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did you even read the links? Some student was assaulted and had his flag burned by Palestinian protestors. Maybe he was looking for a fight, and they brought it.

Did you ever answer the questions with a yes or no? When confronted with something unsettling to your beliefs, do you throw insults and have an urge to kick people in the stomach?

If yes, there's a crowd in NYC with your name on it.

ETA: As for your stupid hypothetical, what a dumb ****ing crowd if they're so in it to chant with the "plant". Nothing like the blind leading an angry mob.

Ofc your enlightened fat ass is even handed about it and never gives the notion that people in the crowd would tell that plant to STFU should the Death to America chant pop up.

#955 Invisible Fan, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member