1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 9, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think Trae Young is coming to the Rockets, but his same playing style that people hate also givens him the ability to almost single-handedly beat vastly superior teams in the playoffs.

It's not just a fluke based on 2021; This time last year the Celts had no business NOT sweeping the Hawks, instead Trae went nuts and nearly took them to 7.

Strawberry Gum and BaselineFade like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think Sengun, Bari, Amen, Brooks, Eason, Adams, etc. could easily absorb Trae's defense. It's easy to hide one poor defensive guard. It's much, much harder to create offense when you don't have a consistent offensive creator in the backcourt.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Good counting numbers, but efficiency plummets.

Harden is roasted for his drop in efficiency in the playoffs. 61.0 TS% in the regular season down to 58.6 TS% in the playoffs for his career.

Trae Young sees his efficiency go from 58.1% in the regular season down to 53.3% in the playoffs for his career, which is really awful. He’s done a lot of inefficient chucking to get those points in the playoffs thus far in his career.

Edit : And just for reference here are the Hawks defensive rating ranks since Young has joined them. Not all on him, but it’s pretty grim.

19 : 27th
    20 : 27th
    21 : 21st
    22 : 26th
    23 : 22nd
    24 : 27th

#323 jordnnnn, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Corrosion, pmac, harold bingo and 3 others like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Again though, it's a question of fit. How do you play Trae with our guys without the defense going into the toilet? He gets destroyed by his man on a regular basis, and we're just not built to hide that kind of defensive weakness--we don't have an elite rim protector, or even a good one, and we only really have a couple of guys who can fly around and help cover multiple positions (Amen and Tari). Our defense is really based on stopping guys at the perimeter and there might not be anybody in the entire league worse at that than Trae Young.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[Official] Can Trae Young carry his own team thread ;)

6. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

No you really don't. Giving up a top defender who is everything Ime wants in his players and culture for the exact opposite is foolish.
    Amen and Sengun need to be untouchable.

Little Bit and justinh like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

On .533% TS though which is well below league average efficiency in the playoffs from the statmuse data. He's averaged (.402/.297/.852) shooting splits. His offensive numbers are big but he's inefficient (in the playoffs), averages high turnovers, and is awful defensively (he's a short, skinny, mediocre athlete, there's not much he can do about it)

Trae is of course very talented and entertaining, but for Trae's game to work as the leader of a championship team, he's got to be a lot more efficient. His defense is so bad that he needs to be truly amazing offensively - for a winning team that is. A little bit above average in the regular season efficiency and below average efficiency in the playoffs isn't going to cut it, clearly.

Corrosion and BaselineFade like this.
  8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The exact opposite? Murray is a better player than amen is now and more impactful. Hes also a terrific defender and has won all defense honors already. You can actually run an offense through him .

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Almost being the operative word here. :cool:
    I guess I could see a path to success like Harden if we put a defensive death lineup of Paul/Ariza/Moute/Tucker/Capela around him. (Amen, Eason, Smith, Adams?)

Still a potentially expensive experiment, though.

Easy likes this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Who do you have in mind for the Rockets to pick up?

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No one really.

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Tough question. But I'm not looking for a big splash free agent. Not yet at least. I'm more in the camp of just getting a two way elite shooter like Malik Beasley in FA. He's a good defender and great shooter to have coming off the bench. He or Trent Jr would fit the bill for me, but I think Beasley would be a perfect compliment to our young core.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

There is no denying his offensive skill set. But teams will target Sengun and possibly Jalen in a playoff series. Trae would be a 3rd guy. That's a lot to overcome defensively imo.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You finally have a coach that has a clue about defense with that you don't bring in a guy that makes James Harden look like Gary Payton on the defensive end of the floor.

Aruba77 likes this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You dont need AI to use spellcheck or to proof read yourself, bud.

Keep trying!

16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Hell no

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Lost the argument and went to spelling. I guess you are too Gen Z to understand AI is Allen Iverson as well. My bad, thought you were a bit smarter than that. Carry on

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Leaving aside my opinion on Beasley and Gary Trent as to how much they'd help this team, the question remains that you think the Rockets can do better than Trae Young as the 2nd offensive option that is absolutely necessary to be more than a .500 team in the west. So do you think that player is on the roster? Or do you think there will be an OKC-Harden that the Rockets can trade for in a year or two?

19. JW86

JW86 Member

This thread is moot, Ime is not going to even considering bringing him off the bench.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....you think I'm not smart, yet you are the one who has been wrong with nearly everything you have said. Hell, I'm probably older than you but who is counting another instance where you are wrong? I remember a time of Houston basketball when Hakeem was still Akeem and wasn't even in the NBA yet....and by the way, that goes for Jordan too!