1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Have you checked out Kris Jenkins? Dude is crazy strong.

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Good lord... if we came away with that draft, I would be very happy
    Just missing a TE IMHO

red5rocket likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just want the best DT we can get, and Newton might actually be a possibility if we make a move and trade up.

Just a few of Newton's many awards, accomplishments and stats.....

Team captain / Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year

Nagurski Trophy finalist, as one of the top five defenders in college football
    Only defensive tackle on the Nagurski finalist list

Over the last two seasons, 103 quarterback pressures, by far the most in the nation among defensive tackles

Led the nation with four blocked kicks during the regular season. All four blocked kicks came in Big Ten games, a field-goal attempt vs. Penn State (9/16/23), an extra point at Purdue (9/30/23), an extra point vs. Indiana (11/11/23), and a field goal at Iowa (11/18/23)

Bednarik Award semifinalist, as one of the top 20 defenders in college football

Outland Trophy semifinalist, as one of the top seven interior linemen (offense/defense) in college football

52 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, nine quarterback hurries, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, and four blocked kick on the season

188 tackles, 28.5 tackles for loss, and 18.0 sacks during his four-year Illinois career

Tied for the national lead in QB pressures among interior defenders during the regular season with 44. Led all Big Ten defensive tackles by 15 QB pressures during the regular season

One of the most durable interior defenders in the nation, led all defensive tackles in the nation with 749 snaps (62.4 per game)

Played 73 more snaps than any other Power-5 defensive tackle and 124 more than any other Big Ten interior defender during the regular season

Third in the nation in sacks (7.5) among defensive tackles during the regular season and first in Power-5

#2843 deb4rockets, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  4. Housport

Housport Member

You don't have to trade up to draft one of the best players at your position of need. The Texans traded away their first round pick because they know they are going to draft one of their target players at 42. Newton is one of the top DT in the draft. You already know at 42 there is going to be a great defensive player at the spot that will fall to you. May not be Newton, but maybe one of the top corners or linebackers that you have rated in the draft.

houstonstime and raining threes like this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I get that but that 5th year of team control avoiding free agency could be forward-thinking.
    I know the franchise tag is available as well, but that is more pricey.
    If you can get back into the bottom of the first for say a 42& a 4th... you still come out ahead on that Minny trade.
    Just a thought.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

And did this while playing with a Jones fracture in his foot.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Some players that I think will be good in the NFL and will be drafted well below where they should be:

LB Payton Wilson
    DT T'Vondre Sweat
    TE Jatavion Sanders
    TE Cade Stover
    S Kam Kinchens
    RB Blake Corum

I'd be pumped if we got more than one of them.

Wilson would be nice with our second second round pick. If Sweat is still there in the third (as I've seen him mocked recently), I'd love that. In the fourth, one or two of Kinchens, Stover, or Sanders could be available. Maybe we could trade up into the fifth for Corum?

I believe all of these guys will be really good pros.

javal_lon and raining threes like this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Do you come out ahead?

basically that would mean we trade 23 and a 4th for a 24-32 pick and next years second? So basically someone gave up a 2025 2nd to move up in the first round and nabbed a 4th? I feel like that’s a loss on the team trading back but who knows.

Also, why would anyone move back to 42 for a 4th when we did it for (2) 2nds and a 5th?

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think blake watson would be fun. tackle breaking machine

#2849 tallanvor, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Love the first 3

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Draft day can play out funny. The Texans did the MN trade b/c they came out ahead.

Plus nobody expected Newton to slide but that's what happens IRL when teams get desperate for QBs. Now WRs are added to the mix.

I am just saying it might be an option on draft day. I would prefer to nab Newton in the late 1st, but that's me. If he makes it to 42, I would be all for it as well. Could be a Cam like slide because of that foot injury. BDN has more info and is probably more aware of what the teams around him will be doing.

Edit: draft value chart says 42 + 2 4ths would be fair value for a pick in 30 - 32 range. So 42 + 4th this year and 2025 4th would be FMV.

houstonstime and Sooty like this.
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nice find! Really good balance and he doesn't go down easy. Would be great if we could get him with one of our 6th rd picks.

14. raining threes

You move if there's a player you really like in the 27-40 range.

As to the last sentence, it's because there's a guy that fell that you didn't expect to fall. If you're right and draft a great player then the price is worth the trade. I also noticed that you left Diggs out of the equation.

Think players you can draft, not draft charts

Sooty likes this.
  15. raining threes

Love this guy and Tracy if they don't end up with Wright or Gurendo

jch1911 likes this.
  16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

[​IMG]

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Diggs is huge. I just think if we wanted someone in the first round we should have just kept the first round pick. I don’t like paying a premium to get back into it. But yes, I understand if there is a random guy falling that you like. I just would keep it to the 2nd round down to move up to 33-41.. but we’ll see.

draft can’t come soon enough.

18. raining threes

Totally get where you're coming from.

Can't wait to see how aggressive they will be. I certainly hope if they think a great player falls to say 1-28 that Caserio shouldn't trade up to get a great player. If I was in Caserio s shoes I would trade up in a heartbeat because they're only a couple of difference makers away from having a SB level winning team.

They're are a select few I would move up for even if it meant giving up a 1st rd pick in 2025 to do it Newton is one of those guys for me , Bowers, Mitchell, Murphy are others. Never pass on a great player.

houstonstime and jch1911 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...-buzz-adam-schefter-hearing-round-1-picks-qbs

The Texans love to wheel and deal

Nobody seems to enjoy making draft weekend deals more than Texans general manager Nick Caserio. During the three drafts he has run in Houston, he has made 18 trades: eight in 2023, seven in 2022 and three in 2021. Caserio has increased the number of draft trades he has made in each of his three drafts in Houston, and he likely will do whatever he needs to continue the trend.

The Texans don't own a first-round pick after they traded out of No. 23 with the Vikings. Their first pick is scheduled to be No. 42 overall.

https://espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insi...reid-seven-rounds-257-picks-predictions-final

42. Houston Texans (via MIN)

Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan

Houston has had arguably the best offseason of any team in the NFL, and it can continue to add youth to its defense with its first pick of the draft. Jenkins is a durable run-defender. He has room to grow as a pass-rusher, but he would likely be afforded time to develop with the Texans.

59. Houston Texans

Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan

The infectious energy and toughness of Sainristil is an easy fit in DeMeco Ryans' defense. He'll be a nickel corner at the next level, where his ball skills should translate. Sainristil -- ranked No. 40 on my final board -- had six interceptions last season.

86. Houston Texans
    Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota

Nubin slid a little bit here based on how the board came together, but the Texans wouldn't be complaining. He is ranked No. 63 on my board and could go much earlier, given his 13 career interceptions.

123. Houston Texans (via CLE): Jaheim Bell, TE, Florida State
    127. Houston Texans: Caedan Wallace, OT, Penn State
    188. Houston Texans: Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas
    189. Houston Texans: Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky
    238. Houston Texans (via NO): Carlton Johnson, CB, Fresno State
    247. Houston Texans: Dylan McMahon, C, NC State

20. raining threes

I would be very happy with this draft.

BamBam, houstonstime and red5rocket like this.