1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun Finalist for MIP Award 2023-2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 21, 2024.

?

Will Sengun win MIP for 2023-24?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

lol obviously you disagree.....you don't need to say that when alpi is involved. What do the 20 wins have to do with anything? We went from silas and kpj to udoka and fvv, of course the team improved.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Alperen Sengun is the hub of a .500 team a year after fighting to come off the bench for a 20-win team. I don't see a more impressive improvement than that. Maxey went from 3rd to 2nd best player. Coby White is not even a top 2 player on his team, maybe not even top 3 on a 39-win team.

Whatever. Good that Alpi is getting recognition.

Streakshooter, BamBam, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

and you obviously don't have much to say other than that I am an SOF. So I am asking you explicitly:

1) Was Alpi's defensive improvement expected?
    2) How many centers can you show who very early in their careers made a significant defensive improvement, especially centers that were projected to be defensive liabilities? It usually takes centers years to make such improvements.
    3) Of course 20 more wins matter. If the team would of course improve, the nba betting line wouldn't be set at 31. This team overachieved. And Alpi's improvement is a significant factor in that.

Edit: And I think it is a close call between Maxey and Sengun. Making the jump at the higher level is much harder than the improvement from 10 ppg level.

#23 AlperenSengun, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    RudyTBag and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Really, everyone thought Sengun was going to be the C and only rim protector for a top 10 defense? lol No they didn't.

Defense is half the game, 50% of all possessions (offense being the other half). To go from "he'll never be a good defender" to "he can start at C for a championship calibre defense" is a bigger jump than anything any of the other two did.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

I thought Alpi didn't play enough games to qualify due to his injury? In any case, I wouldn't be mad if any of the other candidates won, but Sengun deserves to be in the conversation.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i mean maxey will win, i would vote white because i would never vote for 2nd/3rd year players since that's not the purpose of the award in my mind so i wouldn't even consider maxey or sengun or jalen williams or anyone like that. Everyone has their own philosophy on awards though, and this one isn't particularly important. I care greatly about the mvp for the sake of history, and DPOY for that reason also (hence being super pissed about the joke that was the marcus smart dpoy). If alpi wins, cool, he's on my favorite team so i'll take it.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't the MIP award cursed with regards to winning a title?

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they think Alperen is improved this year, just wait for next year…

Alperen improved, but most of it was just getting the dorks and dunderheads out of the organization. The ones that were leaking total BS about Alperen. Udoka shut all that **** down, didn’t he?

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The point is you said Sengun and Maxey basically had the season everyone thought they would have, and that's not true for Sengun. He had a better season than most people thought he'd have.

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm super casually following the NBA lately, but after a quick check of the other two candidates YoY performance improvements (by box score stats), AND taking into account that the Rockets were (by far) the most improved team of the group, I think Sengun has a very good chance of winning.

Dobbizzle and Jontro like this.
  11. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

This is a good analysis but I got Sengun then Coby.

harold bingo and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

@astrosrule another sof pointing the inaccuracy of what you said.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya he was much better on defense, worse on offense than i expected. He definitely improved but his overall season was not out of bounds for a reasonable expectation for him to produce.

it was very reasonable to expect alpi and maxey to continue on their trajectory as young players. I expected nothing from white, so he would get my vote

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think kobe white gets it. he has truly been impressive

17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

so you were kind of expecting him to be an all-star. He was in the convo and would probably make it in the east.

And you also expected him to turn into a decent defender from a horrible defender. There is a whole thread about why Sengun is a defensive liability and countless rockets watch constantly bringing up his defensive problems. Nobody saw that kind of defensive improvement coming, literally no one.

Next time let us know before the season :D.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Huh? I said he was a much better defender then i expected and a worse offensive player

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's completely false. Defense is half the game. If you go from expected to be garbage to championship calibre on defense, it's the same as if you go from garbage offense to championship calibre offense. Defense is half the game and offense is the other half, everything in basketball fits into those two categories. It's not reasonable to say that's not beating the expectation of him having a regular 2nd to 3rd season jump.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya, he improved defensively more than i expected, not sure what you’re arguing