1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reed Sheppard

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rokman, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

Seems like a bigger, better shooting VV.

Rokman likes this.
  2. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I think his game is closer to JJ Redick. Which obviously wouldn't be a terrible pick. Especially in a weak draft

3. Buck Turgidson

So are we drafting this kid or not?

4. fattz

fattz Member

If he is available he should be our first choice. (Maybe we should trade up to get him if needed) Seems almost like a sleeper in many ways because Kentucky was so heavily loaded with talent. Fred is perfect to mentor him. Reed Sheppard fits our needs, coach AND would be best available.

5. fattz

fattz Member

Is Tate and the Nets pick enough to move up a spot or two to get him in THIS draft? It’s an all time weak draft. The other team gets a rotation worthy player on a good contract while staying in the same tier of the draft. Just thinking out loud.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I would think they would more likely prefer future draft capital. If the Rockets need to move up say 3 - 4 slots that's a lot but it really depends on who the other team is targeting. It could be that the Rockets know one or two teams between said team and them want Sheppard and the team in current draft position wants player x. The deal would require us to draft player x + draft capital in exchange for Sheppard at #5. Gotta hope the player they want doesn't get snatched up.

fattz likes this.
  7. j@amc

j@amc Member

What would you trade though? Swap the Nets '24 pick and what? Whitmore?? That 's expensive.
    It would be great if whoever is on the other end of the line would take Tate or Landale or Brooks + the Nets '24 pick, but they'll ask for more.

I'm not trading a future first for any player in this draft class.

No Worries, fattz and Haymitch like this.
  8. j@amc

j@amc Member

Sheppard looks like a shorter, quicker Austin Reaves with slightly more range.

9. fattz

fattz Member

Maybe trade Brooks and take back a not so good player/contract(s) in exchange. Not many teams can just take on a 20ish million a year contract without moving some cap space around.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

It would depend on his measurables during the draft combine. If he's like 6'1 without shoes then hard pass imo.

I think if we just want a shooter then Knecht or Cody Williams are better. These guys can do other things besides shooting.

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

Services do consistently list Sheppard as 6'3. I'm assuming that his without shoes height.

Dillingham seems to be 6'1 with a decent wingspan. Lou Williams, anyone?

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Looking forward to May 12th. I almost hope San Antonio gets a super high pick because they are less likely to use it on a guy like Sheppard. If they get the 4th or 5th pick it's almost guaranteed they would take him.

13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I really doubt he's actually 6'3. He looks tiny on the court. His wingspan is only an inch above FVV. Maybe he just has a really long head which would add a couple inches but won't really help on the court.

roslolian likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm just happy everyone is required to attend the combine now so there's a lot more clarity on these players.

And yes Rob D does look like Lou Will reborn.

15. j@amc

j@amc Member

Agreed. That draft-eligible players must complete measurements and drills, including shooting, strength, and agility testing, is a huge gain for the league. We might actually see some young guys working in the gym to improve their craft rather than talking to improve their draft stock.

roslolian likes this.
  16. Rokman

Rokman Member

No $hit?! It's about time. How they were able to skip that was stupid. Teams should have been demanding that all along.

peleincubus and roslolian like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I also didn't understand why it wasn't mandatory before. I guess it was a "street cred" thing basically you were too cool for draft combine lol. The problem prospects use it to hide themselves.

Glad that's stopped now.

Rokman likes this.
  18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm 100% on the same page here. The height/length will tell you if he can be a versatile defender. It's hard to be an elite defender if you can only defend PGs. If he's 6'3 and strong enough, he can defend most wings.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

The only argument I would make about that is we have FVV who I am fairly certain is at least a couple of inches shorter than Sheppard and can play defense to some degree against any player due to his strength and craftiness. Sheppard appears to have that same nose for defense and stripping balls from larger guys. His playmaking has been praised and his shooting is off the charts, one thing you can't say about FVV.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree. Not only is he really good at defense but no first-round pick from college has shot over 50% from the 3 in over 35 years. That's too good to pass up to me.

Rokman likes this.