1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. MystikArkitect

Absolute bullsh*t that the Bulls and Hawks get to play in play-in games and after losing also get better draft positioning because they play in the shitty East and had worse records. If you're in the Play-In you shouldn't get better positioning than teams that didn't even get a shot.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how you don't see the potential of Reed Sheppard and draft him if you have the chance. No first-round pick from college has shot over 50% from 3 on similar volume since Glen Rice at Michigan in 1988-89.

With NBA coaching and Fred as a mentor, he could be everything we've been waiting for as a PG or SG. He's not only a great shooter but great defensive player, who is already doing what others never could.

53.6 FG%, 52.1 3PT %, and 2.5 STL

Imagine if we got Reed Sheppard this year and Cooper Cupp next year. OMG!!!!!!
    Then, those two along with Amen, Sengun, and Jabari (beefing up), and a we'd be a force to reckon with for years.

joshuaao, Y2JT and B-Bob like this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree 100% Reed makes sense if he drops, but if we end up with our projected #9 pick then I don't see Reed being there. I tend to think all the guards will be off the board then. Cody Williams makes a lot of sense at that #9 spot even though we need a guard.

theDude and deb4rockets like this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree 100%. Cody Williams would be a great pick at #9 if we miss out on getting one of the best guards.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Tate and 9th for 6-8 spot?

I'll do it

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Gimme Knecht. Dude fills a huge need for this team will be ready to play major minutes right off the bat.

Y2JT likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Cody Williams is good, but don't look at his 3P% and assume you're getting a shooter. Dude makes 0.7 threes per game, he barely takes those shots at all and when he does, he's wide, wide open. His shooting is similar to looking at Usman Garuba shooting 40% in his second year and thinking "this guy is a great shooter!".

I do wonder if there might be a bit too much overlap between Amen and Williams, with Amen likely being the better version (more athletic, better passer). Maybe there is a better chance Williams develops into a shooter though, even though he is not a true high-volume threat right now.

No Worries likes this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have many guys I’d love at 9 at this point. I trust the scouting from the org.

Sheppard
    Williams
    Knecht
    Salaun

11. MystikArkitect

I see the agent led media spin is in full effect. Williams looked awful every game I saw of him.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need a good sized athletic SF that can also shoot with this pick...most likely a young veteran stud with this pick used as part of the package.

How do y'all feel about Jalen Johnson? I'd offer ATL this pick for him straight up.

#1092 Plowman, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Little Bit likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This draft is such a crap shoot, but I do like that Cody has a brother in the NBA already who is performing well. Your point about his low volume 3pt shooting is definitely something to note as well. I think it should also be noted that he finished the year coming off the bench after his ankle injury and he also dealt with a wrist injury early in the season too.

He's skinny so he could just be injury prone but his numbers as a starter were significantly better than his late season post ankle bench role.

Corrosion and OremLK like this.
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My friend who went to a ton of their games and is a huge CU fan would agree. Those dudes didn’t play any defense consistently.

15. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

If you take away the play-in the Rockets don't make it in either league. No big loss as they would've been creamed by the Lakers or even the Warriors.
    Can't bum about something that would've never given us a decent chance anyhow.

16. MystikArkitect

If his brother wasn't J-Dub he probably wouldn't even be a Top 10 pick. He looks raw as hell. If you squint hard enough you can see it but he just looks like he's going through the motions at times. He does not have his brother's motor.

MrButtocks and MadMax like this.
  17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Yes please

Plowman likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member