1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Risacher
    Cody Williams
    Topic
    Sheppard

If I can come away from this draft with one of those dudes, I'm really happy.

Aruba77 likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think he cares about the picks unless they're going to a third team to get another star, no. He cares about winning a championship, though, preferably in the next few years while Embiid is still at his peak.

dobro1229 likes this.
  3. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Let the picks ride! The free optionality of the 2025 pick is especially valuable. That pick could be Cooper Flagg or another future all star! The 2025 draft is loaded and the Nets should be lottery bound again.

4. PeppermintCandy

“Coach who had the foresight to say I got 6 guys who I can really develop. All six of these people have a chance to be an all star in this league and I don’t need any other projects.”

The video is from December of 2023, and I'm assuming he's talking about Udoka's thoughts on Green, Sengun, Smith, Eason, Thompson, and Whitmore.

Interesting that Udoka was pretty confident of what he had with his six young players from the start.

sirjesse likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only one with a chance to get Cooper Flagg will be the lotto winner.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If you nail the 1-20 first round picks, then you keep going. We still have tons of replaceable players.

7. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. And the Nets pick will be a lottery pick. The 2025 draft is supposed to be the best in years - all the top 5 picks might be better than this years top pick.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And the Nets pick this year has a chance of being the lotto winner, and I expect them to be even worse next year. That team at least thought they had a chance to be a decent team last year. Now they are downtrodden and have no hope to sign anyone significant and no talent coming through the draft. Nic Claxton is a free agent who may very well leave the team. And just this week I saw the Nets described as the most dysfunctional organization in the league. It's a good time to own those picks.

Y2JT and kspires999 like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I thought the top lotto picks are protected. If the nets end up with the top lotto pick we would still get to keep that pick?

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yes, all of the picks we got in the Harden trade are unprotected.

No Worries and deb4rockets like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

All picks and swaps are unprotected! So glad we didn’t take Ben Simmons and protected picks. Imagine the disaster that would have been.

xaos, MadMax and deb4rockets like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

OMG, if we ended up with the top pick and Cooper Flagg (If he enters the draft next year) there is a strong possibility we might get one of the best players we've ever seen in a Rockets uniform.

Shark44 likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No joke!

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Tall ask for Cooper. He's a great prospect but not one of those guys who gets advertised as "generational" like Wemby. He's maybe a little bit like Amen--defensive phenom who can do a bit of everything on the court--but with a tick less athleticism and a jump shot that's already decent. So he probably would have gone ahead of Miller, Scoot and the Thompson twins, but clearly behind Wemby in the previous class.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t want to trade the 25’ or 26’ picks/swaps. We don’t need anything bad enough at this stage to give those up. Even if Brooklyn is semi-competitive (which is a real possibility), the way the lotto odds are so flat, we’re gonna have a chance at one of those top picks. I also don’t want to trade either of our two rookies this past year. Not only are they some of the highest upside players on our squad, but they have the most time on their rookie scale contracts.

if the rockets make any trades, the 25’ and 26’ Brooklyn picks/swaps, as well as Cam and Amen, should not be included.

I’m okay trading the 24’ and 27’ picks/Swaps

kspires999 and Hemingway like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Why Topic? A little torn on Williams as well....we have so many SFs on the roster.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

He's considered a prodigy. No telling how great he could become. A prodigy type center is more rare than a guard, so yeah, Cooper probably wouldn't have been picked first last year.

xaos likes this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

Ah, good memories... "What are the chances that ANY of these draft picks end up as good as Ben Simmons who is already shown what he can do". Good times

19. xaos

xaos Member

I think it's fair to say anyone or anyone (historically) would be behind Wemby.

Out of curiosity, would you rank Cooper higher than Banchero (the draft prospect)?

20. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

RudyTBaggins