1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Sengun need to work on this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 16, 2024.

?

What does Sengun need to work on this summer?

1. 3 pointer

87.1%
  2. Free throws

46.8%
  3. One handed shots/floaters

8.1%
  4. Lateral quickness/speed/agility

32.3%
  5. Defense, help defense, etc

32.3%
  6. Mid range/jump shot

29.0%
  7. Reacting quicker, passing quicker

20.2%
  8. Dunk more and layup less

5.6%
  9. Decrease pump faking

9.7%
  10. English

6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Free throws when fatigued. He should be a 75% FT shooter but left too many points at the line this year. I think a 3-point shot could help in this regard as there might be an offense where he does not have to run post to post every possession and can ease up at the 3-point line on occasion.

2. maypk

maypk Member

There's only one correct answer here, and it's free throw shooting.

I don't care if he's still a 30% 3 point shooter but he'd be a beast if he could increase his ft shooting to 80% with the way he's drawing fouls.

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Alpi needs to work on his shooting from free throws to three pointers above all else in my opinion, but the emergences of Amen has made that even more important. It will be difficult to put them both on the court at the same time in long stretches, and even if Amen makes significant improvement in that regard this offseason, I still expect him to be a substantially below average shooter for the 24/25 season.

Strawberry Gum and harold bingo like this.
  4. conquistador#11

Freebies and adding a shot in continuation with his spin move.
    Sengun has the best low post spin moves/footwork from a center in decades. It's only right if he adds:
    [​IMG]

5. SuraGotMadHops

Watch this video
    [​IMG]

And then do lots and lots of calf raises to rebound and protect the rim better.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

With Amen on the team it's his corner 3. They are the two best players on the roster and they need to coexist.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. monster

monster Member

More muscle, let it rip from 3, wardrobe.

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

A.K.A. Meta-Verse Hook

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You just gotta triage his game - I think him developing better agility will do wonders for his defense BUT I think the gains there are minimal with his body whereas he CAN develop better consistency and confidence in his shot and it would also help the team so prioritize the shooting this offseason while doing the best you can to lean him out with diet/building lean functional strength. I think Yoga would be really helpful for a guy like him. The way he is so creative with his body when getting up shots - I think leaning into that whole body flexibility and core strength will be more valuable for him than the average player.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Hmm, I thought those pump fakes were what made his post moves more effective, like dream shake ish. But if you are talking about the pump fakes on the 3pt line, then yes.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Get hornier

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

challenging every foul

AlperenSengun and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

3PTER 3PTER 3PTER.

There's absolutely NOTHING Sengun can improve so much that his overall impact on team wins will skyrocket as much as developing a 3PTER and making Amen/Cam/Jalen's ability to help him infinitely easier and more efficient. He needs help. Sometimes he just needs a breather. FVV is not that guy.

We can't keep living in a "my turn, your turn" world. We need these guys to mesh. Developing a 3PT shot elevates Sengun's own game and the entire team's offense by ridding it of full time rim protection. Especially since he's our hub who can pass the ball really well, it makes the impact so much bigger than just any other player adding a 3PT shot.

Amen, Jalen and Sengun just need to work on their 3PT shot and strength this summer. Nothing else is worth wasting time on. If 1.5 of these guys improve, it will have a massive impact on our win margin because we are a top 10 defense and our offensive ranking will improve significantly. That's how we get to 50 wins without giving up assets.

#33 Mathloom, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    cbass, clos4life, dream2clips and 2 others like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

3-pointers (since rookie year he should have been working on 3's)
    FT's
    Lateral Quickness

--------------

Spacing
    For every action there is a reaction. The action of Sengun hitting 3's at a respectable clip of 35%
    (or better) while attempting 5-7 three's a game will open up the paint for all facilitators the
    Rockets utilize.

In today's NBA, greater spacing most often equates to greater offensive efficiency.
    Depending on the facilitators. Good facilitators can look great with spacing.....
    poor without spacing.

Lateral Quickness
    Next season the Rockets will probably employ a "Drop Coverage" much like Gobert/KAT.
    I can see Steven Adams and Sengun playing simultaneously as long as Sengun shoots
    3's at a decent level.

Steven Adams plays the rim protector in drop coverage while Sengun guards an area on the perimeter. It's a form of zone in a way while looking like man-to-man (on the perimeter).

I prefer, "Switch Everything," as a much better defense.....but Rockets can go small during stretches
    of each game while running the most efficient defense of, "Switch Everything."
    Amen - Jalen Green - Cam Whitmore - Tari - Jabari (or **Jock Landale)

**Slide out one of others

#34 ApacheWarrior, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  15. J Rock

J Rock Member

His three improving will help his game and team spacing.

16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

- Not talking to the ball on fts
    - Not turning to the ref or swirl his hand after every call
    - all kinds of shooting
    - faster decision making

fchowd0311 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I like this. Amen is really becoming our 2nd best player behind Sengun.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's crazy to say but I think Amen is significantly better at this aspect than Sengun. Amen makes ultra quick reads with the ball in his hand for like a split second.

Sengun want to do more with the ball in his hands similar to Jalen but Amen, that boy don't care about working a dribble or anything. Hell just make the quick read before anything else.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Help his hardcore fans to man up and be less b****y. He’s capable if he’s as good as they say he is.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

it is normal though. Amen is a guard and more importantly he has been doing this for all his life. Although Sengun has the vision, he spent all his life with the post moves and has gotten excellent there; he is just getting into practicing the reads and decision making. And nba is a different game than euro ball with more space and different philosophy . I am guessing Sengun will improve vastly in this area.

fchowd0311 likes this.