1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rafael Stone & Eli Witus sign extensions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 16, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just because he is decent in your opinion in Houston standards, does not mean he is good in LA, Boston standards or the better teams of the NBA standards.

• There is always so much to improve also in terms of being an Executive!
    • He is flawed and that is what I know for a longer period.
    • Also he gives off the vibe of being defensive all the time, like when he constantly defended his draft picks ......versus making new moves.

#101 daywalker02, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is still better than CF standards.

You still haven't answered how Harden was doing his best to raise his value by wearing a fat suit and throwing balls at Tate.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, exceptional. We nearly doubled our win total and would solidly be in the playin in a typical year. True rebuilds like this — where you don’t start with an established young player — generally take five years. The Sonics/OKC on the 2000s. The “process” in the 2010s. Hell, the Jazz will probably take that long even with Markkanen.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. People here just look at OKC and assume that's the normal rebuild process lol.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Those signings resulted in doubling of win total so not sure why that's an issue. Morey spent 60M on Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon back in the day I'd rather have FVV, Brooks, Landale, Green and Adams all on good deals.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

The only thing I want to know is when The Rockets are extending Sengun to be a Rocket for his entire career....

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Look, CF we are responsible for ourselves......Clutch is the Overseer but he is not responsible for our messes.....

The General manager position, I get that Stone gets the credit on the surface but we are supposed to shed light into what goes on in the dark room

And yeah, we should know better than to parrot what the mainstream guys do.....because we should know more.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

How should we know more and shed light on the dark? We aren't insiders what are you on lol. We can just speculate based on rumors and dribbles of information from Rox media that's not enough to say who did what or who was responsible for whom.

You literally proved you are wrong regarding Harden wanting to maximize his trade value when his actions literally lowered his trade value to the minimum. How is that knowing more?

MadMax94$ likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Okay, I am willing to admit he has improved the last year, with how skinny he looks, he must have had tons of sleepless nights......

He was wrong to give KPJ a chance and I guess it took a toll on his wife and him because they let themselves emotionally bond with KPJ....which they should not have done.....

Quite honestly, it depends on your investigative instincts .......you do not have to be an insider, there are tons of information, yeah, that is why I also do not like Stone is his lack of transparancy, but that is why he is such a non trustworthy GM in my opinion.....he shrouds himself in mystery to mask certain mistakes.

#109 daywalker02, Apr 16, 2024
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well deserved. Stayed out of the spotlight, no controversial comments, and developed and stuck with the young talent.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh absolutely not. We're going to win 50 next season, I'll bet money on it if you're up for it. $100 to the tip jar.

We're not like other teams, there's no reason you should expect us to be in line with the norm. 99% of teams will not have 6 players under 22 as key contributors to a team of this calibre. All teams can improve, most young teams will improve, but our team will generate more internal development than almost anyone in the NBA. That volume of internal development will undoubtedly generate an outlier situation just as it did with OKC.

Not to mention, we haven't even seen this team fully healthy. Tari played like 20 games and was our highest impact player at the time. Cam and Amen basically joined the team halfway through the season and didn't have Sengun for half that time. Jabari was very bad when we gathered most of our wins early in the season. Jalen was defensively twice as good at the end of the season than the beginning. We're going to get these guys in training camp and no more rookies or Silas-developed players anymore.

We were never ever humiliated this season. I made it a point to watch opposing coach's interviews after games, the huge majority of them described us as a team that plays hard and never gives up and were difficult to beat. We had 1 let-down against a team filled with some of the most experienced players in the league who have won 4 rings together. Happened to the Warriors before their dynasty and it will happen to elite young teams forever. It's not an indication of anything but being the first time they have played an important NBA game. Udoka mentioned this in his interview too.

Your analysis that because we got beaten by a 50 win team means we're not ready to win 50 is an irrelevant one. That's just an anecdote, nothing more. Teams who win 50 for the first time lose to 50 win teams before that. The Mavs got their assess handed to them too before they became a 50-win team. Wolves were a joke last season. Thunder won 40 last season. Jumping from 41 to 50 is not rare for a core that is young. It's rare for treadmill teams who have cashed in their picks to get 41 wins. That's not us.

Further, when Stone's Harden picks start dwindling we will be a contender already and we will be the extremely rare contender that owns all its future picks and has bird rights to all its core. We will also likely have a young player or two who will not fit or won't want to be here (trade chips).

Let me know if you want to make that bet. I don't advise it.

#112 Mathloom, Apr 16, 2024
    Rashmon and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keeping Eli Witus is the much bigger news, he is as talented as they come, just not sure of himself enough to take the step out of Stone's shadow.

Sometimes smart minds are just not confident enough.......

slothy420 and DreamShook like this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Stone knows how to play the game. Don’t say much of anything. Don’t overshadow Patrick. Understand that you can still be fired at any moment for any reason. Shut up and listen.

clos4life and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rebuilding through tanking and drafting depends a lot on luck.

AroundTheWorld and roslolian like this.
  16. futilman

futilman Member

agreed. But a rockets fan in 6th grade could do that just as well. A gm shouldn’t be extended for that.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

If tanking plan is so easy teams like Pistons and Charlotte who have been tanking for much longer than the Rox would be good by now.

I don't know any other team besides OKC who managed to rebuild from zero in just 3 yrs do you?

MadMax94$ likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree. It is really dependent on luck that's why owners don't want to rebuild and tank.

But you also need a lot of skill to go along with luck and that's why Stone has both skill and luck.

MadMax94$ likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pot of luck at the end of the rainbow.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yeah im glad they kept this dude. Just getting sengun off of OKC's talent department is all i needed to see this guy got the juice.