1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sammy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not that it made sense to me for him to leave but it's official. That's two jobs Kentucky and Lousiville. Waco is where the Drew family belongs

MadMax and raining threes like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He made the right call. I don't blame him for listening, but history has shown that Kentucky is a tough place to be a coach. I like seeing coaches stick with a program. He could be a legend around Baylor forever, or get run out of Kentucky after a season or two. Shouldn't be a tough decision, but for a lot of guys I guess it is.

MadMax likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not sure anyone has ever turned down both Louisville and Kentucky in the same offseason lol.

I'm surprised only because it's such an honor to be asked to coach at a place like Kentucky...and it's so much money. It seems Drew prioritized his family over that, and that's admirable to say the least.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

the age of NIL has changed everything. You don't need to be at a school like Kentucky or "blueblood" anymore for exposure and glamor. The advantage of what they can offer over less heralded programs has fast faded. Kids can get their money and shine in a much wider range of options

MadMax likes this.
  5. MadMax

That's true...but it's pretty sporty to be able to say, "yeah, I coach college basketball for the University of Kentucky." :)

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

true years ago but not in the last few years when they've been known to be chokers and an unsuccessful failing program haha

The landscape now allows Calipari to leave behind what was once a top of the line choice in college basketball that could offer tops of what most other programs could. Now he can go to Arkansas and build his own path. Not a coincidence all the de commitments from kentucky with the news. Years ago this would be a horrible move and would make no sense pre NIL

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

My middle school basketball coach was a former walk-on at UK, he was about 15 levels of douchebag, freeloeaded in the backyard of the Cockrell River Oaks mansion...it was fun watching him get absolutely smoked by Alvin Franklin and the NBA guys. We tried to bribe Chris Morris to dunk on his head, nuts in face, "a second time" so we could get a picture

MadMax likes this.
  8. MadMax

Been thinking about this a lot today. We live in a really cynical world and this was a tiny push back the other way. Y’all know I have Drew Doubts but I’m so impressed by this. I’d play for a guy like that. I’d coach or work with a guy like that. That’s pretty ****ing cool.

9. MadMax

10. Buck Turgidson

More people need to be named "Igor"

MadMax likes this.
  11. MadMax

LETS GOOOOO