1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We play a switching defense a lot and you don't want some slow ass dude getting matched up with good guards. CKS likes bigs that can run the floor and switch and recover on the pick and roll defense plus be able to execute the monster trap and recover fast.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Just two John wooden award recipients from UH.

Nook likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is true. CKS seems to prefer to have 4 guys who can rotate almost entirely dependent of each other, if not 5. It leaves you open to some mismatches against elite guards and elite bigs, but it creates pure havoc in every other scenario.

Jwan, Javier, and JoJo can all rotate effectively for their size, but if you play your cards right they won't have to.

I'm excited as hell to see what that trio can do next year. They will be a nightmare to score on or rebound against.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Would’ve beaten Duke by 10+ if this guy had filled in for Shead after the injury.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Milos Udan is kind of a quiet choice to replace Shead at point guard but the more that comes out about him the more I like. On this and other message boards I don't see a lot of jumping up and down with joy reacting to him as our apparent new PG.

Two years experience running point in the BIG 12. He's 6'4". Father is a coach. Made the All Freshman team first year. Excels in running the pick and roll and is a great passer. Above all I trust CKS. If this is the PG he wants we are good to go as far as I am concerned.

Nothing is official yet but Uzan appears to be our guy.

DonnyMost, Madmanmetz, Aware and 3 others like this.
  7. Aware

Aware Member

Really excited to see how Mercy Miller looks at UH
    That kid committed years ago and never wavered. Solid from day one.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

It’s official. If the fellas signed off on him and KS he’ll fit. Our UH pg for the next year at least

MadMax, Kim, Tommyboy and 3 others like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

This team will be elite again. Hopefully LJ takes the next step and becomes Big XII POY. Milos can set him up.

DonnyMost, YOLO and seemoreroyals like this.
  12. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

No offense to Shead but next years team looks like it may be the best team CKS has ever coached. Barring injuries the biggest issue we are going to have is enough minutes to go around. We are literally loaded everywhere.

We lose Shead and Dunn from last years team. We gain Udan who at this point is a wildcard who may determine if we are just a group of talented players or virtually unbeatable depending on how much of his potential he lives up to.

The core of LJ, Sharp, Roberts, Francis, Tugler, Arceneaux, Walker, Wilson, and Lath are all coming back. That is 10 so far. On a CKS team where 7 or 8 guys usually eat up almost all the minutes. Then you have two redshirt freshmen, McFarland and Jefferson, and two incoming freshmen, Mercy and McCarty that are all very talented. That is 14 deep.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out. And who sits and who plays.

Kim and dc rock like this.
  13. Aware

Aware Member

Someone still needs to transfer or be converted to walk-on

Maybe the plan is to have an NIL take care of tuition?

DonnyMost likes this.
  14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

For those that are interested in some back story on Los and his family I found this old article intesting. Looks like his calmness might be one main of the elements coach was zeroing in on. If we are planning the deepest of runs we need a PG that can control his nerves.

Also Los has spent sometime around John Lucas and the Rockets, so I'm sure Sampson has had discussions on his work ethic and attitude in a practice setting which has too be a big plus.

https://www.oudaily.com/sports/hes-...cle_c6d406d6-bdf8-11ed-a4f0-3f7758ab7fbd.html

Go Coogs

GOATuve and seemoreroyals like this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This Milos kid just got given a golden ticket to the NBA.

Any semi competent PG is going to look like a total ass kicker driving this death machine replete with shooters and bruisers.

seemoreroyals, MadMax and boomboom like this.
  16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

A coach's kid is gonna get the culture. I think this will be a great fit for both side.

Donny, you're right. He did get the golden ticket.

seemoreroyals and MadMax like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can’t wait for college hoops to return

18. Buck Turgidson

He's a player. I spent all last season rooting against him, next year is a whole new world.

19. Buck Turgidson

Can we have Texans season first?

Maybe even the better half of the Astros?

solid and MadMax like this.
  20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

So, what’s the lineup look like next season? Fran Fraschilla says they’re two deep at every position. Who is the backup pg? Will this be the deepest team Sampson has had at Houston?

Plowman and seemoreroyals like this.