1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. lpbman

lpbman Member

Yep, BPA. There is no telling what the roster looks like in two years when the 2024 pick is ready for prime time. And by roster, I mean who is still here and who has turned into what. Is Tari Eason the next Dennis Rodman? Is FVV still here? Does Amen develop a deadly shot of some sort? I have guesses, but I don't know.

Much easier to make things work when you're stacked with talent, vs setting a lineup with niche players who do one or two things well. And way easier to make trades.

xaos, kspires999 and Aruba77 like this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets can always trade up. They have plenty of assets, especially those future Brooklyn picks.

I kinda hope though that they don't rock the boat too much this offseason and run most of this back.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We don't need ANY MORE YOUNG PLAYERS - cash in the picks for veterans.

DD

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I feel like we don’t have the appropriate assets to move up. Giving up Brooklyn picks or swaps to move up is too rich for my blood. And I don’t see 2nds and guys like Tate as enough to move up. I think we are stuck at the whim of the lotto gods. It will be interesting to see if we keep the pick.

MadMax94$ and count_dough-ku like this.
  5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They'd probably have to give up one of their core young guys and/or a future Brooklyn pick to move up. I don't want them doing either.

6. mightybosstone

Maybe Landale? He obviously struggled for most of the year, but he was so good for us down the stretch and his contract is pretty great. Plus, with Adams coming, there's fewer minutes to spare at the 5. Landale doesn't get you in the top 4, but maybe he's enough to move up 2-3 picks if there's someone they fall in love with in that 6-8 range?

Aruba77 likes this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I'm not interested in moving up, and I'm not interested in trading out for future assets. Either trade the pick towards an upgrade or take BPA at 9.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Pray for Cleveland to crash and Mitchell makes himself available so we can potentially offer Green and some of those picks to get a real and consistent AS to lead the team that is still in his prime production years.

MrButtocks and Aruba77 like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Incorrect, we need proven young players who are at least going into their second or third years in the league.

I do agree I'm not all that enthused about adding more rookies into the mix, but I don't want old veterans who won't be with us for more than a couple of years, either.

cmlmel77, Joe Joe and cbass like this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Draft an undervalued fast 6'8 player like Tari. Are there any stats on college players speed and vertical?

Also get get rid of Jalen and we should be gold. Cam should fill his role nicely if he gets a better trainer with reading the court IQ.

11. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

The obvious answer is that you listen to offers but approach the draft as if you'll draft.

Though given the structures and setup of the cap, there isn't as many potential moves they could make IMHO, unless something truly crazy like a KD shakes loose

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Everyone is listening to offers, in fact, the Draft will be a bazaar of trades.

13. Houston77

Supporting Member

What do you mean? FVV and Brooks’ contracts are setup perfectly for a trade.

14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If we get the #1 pick we better ****ing draft the 7,1 center.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Do we really need more vets? We already have FVV/Brooks and Adams will be joining the mix next year. Sengun and Green will be 4th year players and 3rd and 4th year starters respectively. The rotation is already at 9 if you count last years starters plus Thompson/Whitmore/Adams/Eason.

The Thunder were in a very similar situation last year and brought in Cason Wallace who has been good for them. If the Rockets can get someone like Sheppard they probably shouldn't pass it up just to get another vet unless its a clear upgrade.

Corrosion and xaos like this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Which one, Sarr or Clingan? It's a legitimate conversation at this point.

God this draft sucks. All the dudes in the convo for #1 should be staring at back half of the lottery selections.

17. xaos

xaos Member

We are at the let's pray to trade future assets to become the Kings part of the offseason I see

18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

That would be better than our current trajetory as is.

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

I hope we don’t trade our pick just for a “veteran,” i.e. when Philly traded their FRP for Melton. If we trade the pick, it better be for a major upgrade. Otherwise, just keep it and take BPA.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

Complete nonsense