1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toyoda Center attendance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VanityHalfBlack, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

MSG has a ton of new technology that makes for just a better showcase... both how it looks on television and in person. It looks as fresh/updated as anything yet we know how old that arena truly is (better video boards, better ribbon boards, better dynamic lighting for concerts, better entrance/concourse presentation). Yes it takes work/constant upkeep for an arena that old to still look that good. Toyota Center has had none of that interiorly (except for finally adding lighting to the 4 super columns that are covered by fabric), and exteriorly is somewhere between an office building or shopping mall (with the tiniest of video boards showing upcoming events).

Regardless of seats/empty seats, it just looks dated... both inside and outside... and that sucks. NRG is similar in terms of needing a "refresh" as well, however for 8 home games a year, really not that big of a deal... and football stadiums are by design the most generic of all sports venues.

across110thstreet likes this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It was the worst. Thank God for Yao Ming to take over from the "Franchise".

MadMax likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Or play 1-on-1 and dribble 23 out of the 24 seconds on the shot clock. I just wanted to take a knife and stab my eyes out seeing that ****.

MadMax likes this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE BETWEEN THAT AND MOHAMMED???

5. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Did you go to a comet game? I went to a bunch. They had whole sections blocked off where people couldn't sit.

The Rockets weren't contenders during the Steve Francis days. In order for attendance to get back to like it was at the Summit they need to have good enough talent to compete for a championship. I said San Antonio struck gold because they were able to tank and still sell out games. Yao had the same impact.

Now that the Rockets are no longer tanking, attendance will be better next season. Most of what I said was from a conversation I had with a guy who's been selling Rocket season tickets for over 20 years. People are buying in for phase 3.

But anyway, my post was in response to someone saying the arena is the problem and my point is that the arena isn't the problem. It's the product.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not sure how many of you are watching…but a lot of empty seats down low in Miami for a playoff game tonite…I promise you those seats are sold and the owner could not care less that they’re not filled…because the ticket holders are in the bar areas overpaying for alcohol elsewhere in the arena.

roslolian, Entropy and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Both things can be true simultaneously.

Houston would still fill up a condemned Astrodome if they were into the team, thats for sure. Houston supports legit winners, always has… always will. They’ve actually supported these middling Rockets better than the early 90’s fans supported the Olajuwon-Thorpe-Maxwell-Smith teams before 1994 happened.

But Toyota Center is also one of the worst “modern day” arena experiences out there… both exteriorly and interiorly.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is all a bunch of BS. The Rox Toyota Center has 19k seats and the average attendance has hovered between 15-18k every year since 2006.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/197519/nba-home-attendance-of-the-houston-rockets-since-2006/

In 2019 which was the peak the Rox averaged 18k. After the bubble season the rebuild started in earnest and there were only 15k Ave attendance in 2021. Last year it was 16 Ave now this year it is 17k average.

Mad Max is right those empty seats were mostly all paid for. The owner just didn't come or were spending money elsewhere.

MadMax and Kevooooo like this.
  9. Entropy

Entropy Member

Clutchfans in 2035: Why Toyota Center lower bowl always empty?

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I mean the thread is about attendance not ticket sales. You’re not wrong, most seats are bought which is why ownership isn’t worried. But it looks bad and makes home court worthless.
    Corporate season ticket holders.

11. Rockets34Legend

[​IMG]

#111 Rockets34Legend, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    MadMax and roslolian like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have always wondered why the Toyada center's attendance was so much lower than the Toyota Center's attendance.

DD

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I was really hoping there was a Toyoda Center somewhere in the world for the joke’s sake, but alas.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Toyota center may be too bright. And that’s not a euphemism for “suburban.” I have never been to Staples, but from what I’ve been told and seen on TV the court is like a stage and the audience lighting is darker. Toyota it’s like they flipped all the gym lights on and you’re squinting for an hour trying to adjust.

Can’t complain enough about the cheap feel of the stadium. I think steeper seats, better lighting and food options would help from a fan perspective. It’s never been known as a “shooters’ arena” from a player perspective.

Also, more prize money giveaways for crazy shots. I love those bits. I always dream about being called and then it turns into a nightmare because I miss the layup or slip or something.

Mathloom and kdchilds like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also in 2035

DAMMIT SILAS WHY LOWER BOWL ALWAYS EMPTY????

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Summit used to do the mood lighting. Toyota Center has also done it for all-star games and may have done it at some point during the Harden era.

On the flip side, Staples used to be "well lit" (watch the Shaq playoff games)... but then they went to the mood lighting towards the end of the Kobe era.

I don't care how the arena looks on TV as much as the before, in-game, and after-game experience when attending in person. And for that, they could do a helluva lot better than they are right now. Plenty of arenas also built before them (TD Garden, MSG, Utah, Phoenix) have figured out how to renovate to make the entire experience a showcase.

Kevooooo likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't understand this one. Wouldn't some players be deciding by away team facilities, others deciding by which team they don't want to face and another group voting by which fans are the worst-mannered? Can you choose your own arena? Don't know if this can be taken seriously, not sure how they asked this question.

I agree with @Kevooooo the lighting is legitimately disgusting, whoever decided that should be fired. Most other arenas are 100% aware of how to light the place to avoid eye/migraine/headache issues, make photos look good, make the court look heroic, etc. No surprise Tilman is the "lighting is lighting, get me the cheapest one" guy.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I was watching Games 1 & 2 of their 1st round series, MSG is using some sort of LED wristband technology for when a Knicks player hits a three pointer and everyone in the whole arena lights up like at a concert. I thought it was kind a of modern throwback to when you would see hundreds of flashbulbs going off like when Jordan was in the league breaking records or going on his retirement tour.

the Garden and the Lakers games going back to the days in the Forum always make it like the best “show” in town- they dim the lights in the crowd and it just looks so good in person and on television.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We all know NBA players love coming to Houston and many make their homes here during the summer.... so its not that they dislike the city.

The arena definitely could be better... its not 2nd to last worst in the league bad, but there is nothing special about playing in the TC even when the crowd is packed.

Mathloom likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All these arenas in big markets have revamped/renovated/adapted/evolved to make it the best fan experience possible.

Toyota Center is basically stuck in 2004... and it wasn't even that impressive when it first opened.