1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

It’s inconsistent right now for sure. Sometimes he brings it other times he doesn’t especially running back on the break. But what’s most concerning is his lack of understanding assignments and team concepts. He doesn’t try to run thru pindowns or perimeter screens. He picks up wrong guy like guarding low middle big when his man is up top. He tries to go for the grand steal a lot or over commits and has to recover leaving his man driving lanes. Im sure he can improve in these areas. Im not sure if he can change his game and be a better passer. Stay tuned for that.

roslolian likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like that he had two 4+ assist games in a row.

3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Cam occasionally annoys me when he makes bad decisions, but his talent is overwhelming.

Ime has him on a shorter leash, which is understandable for his rookie season—but starting next year I believe we’ll see both his basketball IQ and skills shoot up.

All in all, a super successful season for our 20th pick!

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then there are more behind the back passing coming up.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

In last 2 games, Cam has as many assists as his previous 17 games COMBINED :eek:. That is some SERIOUS black hole ball hogging. But encouraging focus to pass more

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

And he’s only 19!!!!!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cameron puts on a clinic whenever he hits the floor running.

Dude is like a Vince Carter junior.

Clippers were so outmatched.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah Seems like he has been working on it. He likely will never be a great playmaker but if he can look to play within the flow of the offense such as passing on the break or on the dribble drive getting a couple assists a game then he would be much more effective. He had a good pass to the deep roll man the other day and passed to corner 3 off a baseline drive today. Need more of this and less head down running into the chests of 3 defenders in the paint.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What bothers me is the foolish antics. Standing around for 2-3 seconds after a dunk. Or not running back after losing the ball or off a team miss with poor body language. Or today stood around showboating for 2 seconds after a block instead of getting out on the break. He needs to clean this up. It’s unacceptable

AroundTheWorld, roslolian and Roomba like this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He did run through and played over the screens today tho. Well done because he wasn’t doing that for the most part in previous games. He can only get better.

Roomba likes this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah I agree. I didn’t get why he played so many minutes in that first game back while Tate who had been giving quality minutes sat. It wasn’t all his fault but his bad play and chemistry issues in those few games didn’t help our cause either.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The high screens with Jalen aren’t working since it draws an extra defender to trap him on the perimeter. Need more tight elbow DHO action or pindowns etc to free him up.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree but at the same time kid is only 19. JG couldn't even play a lick of defense at his age. He is def Ime's whipping boy right now so hopefully he works on it in the offseason cuz Tari is coming back and he will face competition from our lotto picks and vets.

Stephen_A and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Personally, I think Jalen Green is about 1/3 as bad even now. The main difference is Jalen is more jovial with it, and not as pouty off misses & bad plays. But both of them play for the extra flexing & preening. The modern "social media AAU" mixtape motivations. I get it for football because there's way more time between plays. But basketball the flow keeps going. A showboat move can quickly make it 5 against 4 against you

I dont think Cam will be Stromile Swift bad - like it was the ONLY thing he played for lol. Cam should be different at 21-22 than 19

roslolian and Stephen_A like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Cam has been compared to Jaylen Brown and I do believe he can be a similar player. Both are north south players that play with force off the dribble drive. Similar to Whitmore Brown wasn’t a good or willing passer in his first 3 yrs avg 0.8 asst year 1 and not reaching more than 1.5 until year 4. I think if Cam can understand the other nuances of the game and improve his playmaking he will be very good. I am concerned about the passing since he has never been good in this area even in College. Exciting to see what he develops into next season.

roslolian likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, hopefully this is just a by-product of being so young.

Some habits remain ingrained. Draymond Green never outgrew immaturity and anger management issues. But fingers crossed that Cam will put aside childish things.

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So do you think Cam was even worth drafting in the second round?

DaDakota likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cam is amazing, the energy and effort and force he plays with all generally lead to a leadership position on teams.

DD

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I wasn’t tracking the draft that closely to see who was still on the board but sure. Rockets saw the talent even though he had medical issues and does pass. They probably thought the talent outweighed the risk. I don’t have an issue with their decision. I just hope he grows in these areas I discussed or he will end up being Michael Beasley 2.0