1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

So does Houston.

Jturbofuel and DFWRocket like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Like massively so

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Interpretation:
    "More events downtown are good!"

"I want a team... but at a discount, and definitely won't pay exorbitant expansion fees"

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

god tillfart is such a cheap ass.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

SLC has 200k people and Utah has 3m and some change. Granted, it's a cold-weather sport state, and I don't doubt they could fill it up, but are the corporate dollars there? From a financial perspective, Houston and Atlanta make much more sense.

7. MadMax

They're super well organized and ready to pounce. Reminds me a little of the way McNair and Houston were when everyone expected LA to get the NFL expansion team in 2002...but they just weren't ready, and Houston had a good answer for every question.

I think it's going to have to be an expansion team if we ever get one here.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would the NHL go to Atlanta again? It's already failed as a hockey market twice.

Bobbythegreat and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Good points but again, I'll point to the corporate dollars. On the other hand, the NHL seems to have it's head up it's ass a lot of times.

Agreed; I think the most sensible market outside of Houston is Austin, which would pull San Antonio fans as well.

MadMax likes this.
  10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Just bring back the Aeros

11. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I don't think the Moody Center is big enough to host a hockey team. The floor was built for basketball and concerts and its capacity is 15,000 which would make it the smallest arena in the league behind Winnipeg. I also don't think UT would sign on for 41 on-campus games a year.

All of these are also reasons why I don't think the Spurs would ever relocate to Austin. I know some folks in San Antonio are worried about that given the I-35 Series, but I think the Spurs want to build a new arena in downtown San Antonio and are using the games in Austin to build up their fanbase and scare the city leaders a little bit.

12. Xerobull

Why in the world would the NHL move to a town and not get a new arena? I can see them playing in a temporary spot for a year, but they would certainly want a new arena...and Austin corporate dollars are big.

13. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Good point. I don't think there's space for an arena in central Austin so they might have to choose the suburban route for a building.

14. Xerobull

Southwest would be best, would put it within easier driving distance of SA. Maybe where the Austin-American Statesman is, because we all know that newspapers aren't growing, and that would put it on the CO river, which would be a nice spot.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That... plus these "smaller" cities have proven they can pack it in for 41 NBA home games/year. The "corporate/season ticket support/television deals" basically will be the same as what they currently have been doing for the Jazz all these decades. NHL much more likely to succeed in SLC vs. Atlanta (that has had 2 opportunities to fail).

Baseball is a different animal for 81 home games plus stadiums that are double the size of arenas (both for seats and luxury suites).... which is why you don't see "smaller" cities/markets easily getting those teams (until Vegas eventually gets the A's).

MadMax likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

What does Monty Monorail think of this?

MadMax likes this.
  17. MadMax

Exactly!!!! Arena sports play well in smaller markets…Utah, San Antonio (which isn’t so small anymore), Orlando, OK City. But doing 81 nights where you need 30k or so, good luck.

18. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Looks like we will get NHL team in 2 years.

19. Buck Turgidson

LOL.

Have you heard anything about the Eco-Quest Adventure Park?