1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

I like Jalen and of course he's got talent and potential. I'm at wait and see next season. That said, I would not be upset if the Rockets chose to move on from him this summer.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mentioned this earlier but his play is SO up and down - I wonder if he struggles with some mental health issues or is partying too much on the side or something. A physical injury isn't the only way a player can be impeded - I think a sports psychologist would be in order this offseason. The stark difference between the highs and lows even in his body language is noticeable and suggests less of a physical problem - maybe he has some undiagnosed or untreated depression issues or something that could be treated with meds or therapy to help even him out.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but as someone who has family members with such issues, they are real problems that prevent otherwise smart and capable people from reaching their potential and I think its FAR more common than people realize and is often swept under the rug.

Hank McDowell and gifford1967 like this.
  3. pippsux

pippsux Member

Too inconsistent or only plays when he want to. Jalen Green went from lighting up defenses a week ago and is back to who we thought he was. Not as valuable to other teams as you think. We shall see

HardenReturns and shakes05 like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think part of it is footwork too. He is often shuffling his feet a bunch of times and trying to do some sort of modern step back shot when he's (obviously) better not leaning at an angle, with his feet set. Modern game teaches bad habits.

6. Nook

Nook Member

He is as good as his 3- ball it appears.

He hasn't really improved that shot so far in his career - but he better this off season and he needs to get his personal life on lock down. He isn't a bad person from what I have heard, but he doesn't have a lot of structure or consistency.

7. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

8. xaos

xaos Member

I said this last season and I'll say it again this season: if Jalen works on his jumper to where it's consistent and league average or better he'll be an all star

That's not to say there's not other things he needs to do (get stronger, for example).

9. jogo

jogo Member

There was some talk that Jalen gets the ball late and has to deal with other player's mistakes. Absolutely none of that happened this game. It looks to me like most of the time he is initiating the offense and just deciding to shoot or try to drive.

Jalen plays basketball like I would with my friends. "I'm hot right now!," "I'm going to take this stepback 3!" Brick. He plays like it's a video game and if he's "feeling it" then he should shoot it. It's not working.

I hate his stepback and I counted two last night. And he initiated both of these and had the ball with plenty of time on the clock and chose to shoot these instead of taking a better shot.

2nd Q 6:37 Jalen takes a stepback two near the lane and airballs it
    3rd Q 9:07 Jalen takes a stepback three and airballs it

The other poster was correct, Jalen should have been feasting last night against an awful team. Pad those stats! You play best against bad teams!

We have a BAD Portland team tonight and we will see if Ime changes the rotation (Jabari was bad, too, last night). If Jalen plays, then this is a ready-made opportunity for him to score 30 so he can salvage some of his value.

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Jalen Green reminds me of Jordan Clarkson...streaky scorer, never made an impact as a Starter, but found his identity as 6th man...this seems fitting for Jalen Green, but no way he would accept that role on this team. I think we should move forward this off-season to build around Sengun.

HardenReturns, Y2JT and Arda like this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He's played so much better than Jordan Clarkson ever did, though. The flashes we've seen are worth keeping him around until we're forced to make a decision. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him this offseason.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

this isn't true. JC has had his own monster games in his career including multiple 40+ pt games. and seasons where his efficiency just blow JG's lack of efficiency out the window

JG has those flash highlight moments but that doesn't mean he's played so much better than JC ever did. He has still yet to put together a complete full season

subtomic and Arda like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I saw it live ... it was fitting after watching the Astros **** the bed earlier that day.

Nook likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

He's shooting 33% from 3. If he went to 38% from 3 that would net an additional 1.22 PPG on his current volume of 7.3 APG. Basically saying that that additional 5% bump would net him another .365 3's per game which is about 1-1.2 PPG. His issue is not his 3 ball. It's that his overall game is just all over the place. He plays like Game 6 Spurs WCSF Harden....40-50% of the time. Harden would become that every once in a while. Jalen is like this...consistently. And that Harden only ever appeared in the Playoffs. I'm sick and tired of googling "Jalen Green stats" every other day to make sense of this dude.

HardenReturns likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Having a SG that can shoot changes the way defenses can operate, it's more than just adding up the points from missed shots.

When Jalen happens to be hot from 3, it opens his game up.

It's certainly not the only thing he's bad at, but if he was a respectable shooter rather than one of the worst in the league, there would be no question about if he should be extended.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where da J8ters at, Alligatas......

Counted only 50 games, where are the other 30....

jim1961 likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JC had good games but I don't think they were as good as Jalen? I dunno, I'd have to go back and look at his previous seasons more carefully to say this definitively. But to put it another way - let's take Jalen Greens top 15 games this season, or even top 10 games. Is there any Jordan Clarkson season where he could match those 10 or 15 games? I think the answer is no, but I'm no Jordan Clarkson historian. But Jalen's worst 15, or 20, or 30 games are also much worse than Clarksons worst games, and that's why Jalens overall efficiency is so much worse.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does not surprise me when he was waiving dollar bills on social media or running to 40 year old Draya for comfort and Fashion shows.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

so you're trying to highlight better games of a 3 year career filled with inconsistency? That in no way means playing well or playing better.

Someone who has had a better career is consistent. JC's best years are better than any of these 3 years from JG who has been nothing but inefficient with horrendous %'s and chucking

harold bingo likes this.