1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Number of assists is just as superficial as role archetype. Six assists per game in April is good. 25% shooting from deep on 8.8 attempts is not encouraging. Can we at least agree on that?

That's why I brought up Westbrook, who was capable of averaging 30 point triple doubles but couldn't shoot and was inefficient. Gravity and counting stats aren't everything.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What about hockey assists? How do you know the 6 assists are the only plays that he took advantage of his gravity? What were the on/off offensive efficiency team numbers for Green in the month of April he was shooting poorly?

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This was Jalen's 15 game stretch where he averaged just under 30 PPG. Let's compare it to a typical 15 game stretch from Jaysom Tatum, a likely first-team All NBA player.

[​IMG]

Here's a 15 game sample size from Tatum:

upload_2024-4-10_12-1-32.png

This is a pretty decent stretch where he averaged just under 27 PPG. As with Jalen's stretch, there are some efficient games and some less efficient games. That's why you look at averages. This idea that @Bobbythegreat and his ilk are pushing that Jalen's stretch is not impressive because there were a couple inefficient games is idiotic and out of touch with reality. For 15 games, Jalen played like a superstar. You don’t give up on a 22 yr old who does that. Period.

#243 Houston77, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    BigMaloe, Carpe82 and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Do you have this information? I’d love to see stuff like this.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I said six assists is fine. Jalen's gravity, potential assists, and hockey assists are less important than his efficiency when he's taking 17 shots per game. Again, this feels like I'm arguing with a Westbrook fan during his MVP campaign, where I address all of your points and you ignore all criticisms.

Jalen's shooting extremely poorly in April again with a largely negative +/-. He faced a lot of defensive pressure in March as well. His decision making is fine, his shot making ability currently is not. I don't care if it's "superficial" stats that reinforce what I see.

6. fchowd0311

I'm not trying to paint a MVP case for Green. I'm painting a case that Green has significantly improved to where he is a player with positive impact without shooting well finally. There are plenty of superstars who have stretched of inefficient shooting and stoll are positive contributers because of their gravity, being capable of passing out of doubles, playing good defense etc.

How do you know playing a full 80 games with increased defensive effort for the first time in his life isn't effecting his legs for shooting also?

Maybe this all around effort he is giving in a season he has had zero load management days is effecting his shooting which can be alleviated over time through more conditioning

#246 fchowd0311, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    Carpe82 and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In your selection, there are 4 truly bad performances, 5 amazing performances, and 6 that are somewhere in the middle.

You are leaning heavily on the amazing performances to mask the bad performances and extend the sample size.

It's like if you used a sample of the last 21 games you would see 26 points per game on a nearly 59% TS% and over 37% from 3.... looks like Jalen has been killing it the whole time right?

This obscures the fact that in the last 6 games he's scoring under 18 points per game on a pathetic 48.6% TS% and 22.4% from 3....

You're doing the same thing pushing your 15 games when there weren't 15 good games.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

As I said, you don’t understand ball if that’s how you approach analyzing game stretches.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. jogo

jogo Member

I've seen this movie before. How many months into NEXT season do we declare Jalen's dropoff? One? Two? Three?

Every year it's a wait-until-next-fall-and-see-how-he-does scenario and those have not panned out. Get value and trade him now. But I don't think our GM or owner will do that. So the next best option is set a CAP on what you will pay him as an extension and do not pass it. Unfortunately, I don't think our owner or GM will do that either. I have a little hope that Ime can convince them to do this but not much. I don't want to hear "after TWO full seasons with Ime then we will see the real Jalen Green."

As I and others have said, Jalen's success depends on SHOOTING THE THREE. The NBA average for 3 Point% last year from SGs is 37.2%. Jalen would be everything people want him to be if he could shoot that. Unless he makes huge strides this summer on his shooting he won't make that next year. In these last three seasons he's had 7 months above that number or close and 14 below that number. Given his 33% career 3PT% I'm hoping realistically for 35% next year.

STOP taking the step back three. Stop taking any step backs. If someone can find his % on step back threes I bet it's 25%. It's an awful shot for him and he needs to stop taking it.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. fchowd0311

What about step backs when an inferior teammate in terms of self creation has the ball with 8 seconds left and instinctively gives it to Jalen because they know he is the best on the team at "creating something out of nothing"?

Should he hold the ball and just get a shot clock violation?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Year One 20-62
    Year Two 22-60
    Year Three 39-40

BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Yep, his shooting is back to being poor again. He is just too inefficient to be a starting shooting guard.

14. fchowd0311

So I'm assuming during this stretch the Rockets offense improves when Green is resting right?

That disability of a "non shooting "shooting guard should mean offense tanks when he's on the court. Such a liability I guess?

15. jogo

jogo Member

I won't make an excuse for shooting step back threes. He's the player who does it the most on our team and most players don't do it at all. He can shoot a better shot with eight seconds on the clock than a step back three.

I see Jalen dribbling around, thinking he's on fire, and shooting a step back three within the flow of his offense and bricking it probably 75% of the time.

If you believe his step back threes are a result of getting the ball with eight seconds on the shot clock then please log these when they occur. I think that's probably 10% or so of his step backs.

Taking out the step backs is a realistic way for him to improve his 3PT%, even if marginally.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm showing you the objective truth, you are seeking out cope because your guy is still performing poorly.

It is what it is.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This really seems simple to me.
    Guys who get max contracts are not only guys who play at a high level, but do it consistently.
    I fail to see how the word Jalen and the word max should even be considered together.

fattz likes this.
  18. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Jalen Green is that valuable player who the Cavs would definitely take! Would the Cavs let Donovan Mitchell walk out alone or would they prefer to get a young asset in return knowing Donovan isn't going resign?

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

People adore box score stats and are annoyed by inconvenient things like efficiency and impact on winning. There are a lot of dumb NBA GMs, too, though..

No Worries and jim1961 like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think you seriously overvalue Green if you think the Cavs view him as equal to Donavan Mitchell.