1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Migrants Not Responsible For Spike In Crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 4, 2024.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again perhaps I’m not following what you’re getting at here or maybe the original point of this thread is derailed.

Yes crime is an issue for many but as you note it’s actually overblown when most statistics show it’s declining. As your original post noted it appears to be an issue that many are using to demonize illegal immigrants in when the statistics show that American citizens per capita are more likely to commit crimes than immigrants. The message then seems to be that politically the Democrats don’t have much to gain by talking about crime and feeding into the impression about crime.

Or is it specifically black on black crime? The statistics would show that even for black people it is getting safer in general. While there are certainly pockets of higher crime I don’t think many predominately black areas are as dangerous as they were in the 80’s or even during CoVId.

Regarding policing the Defund the Police movement largely collapsed. I’m not aware of any major Democrat talking about it much anymore.

astros123 likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was referring to the outrage over my paraphrasing a mainstream media site when I started talking about Democrats and how they talk about crime. I just think they don't have to not talk about crime

I wish I didn't paraphrase the story title but since the focus went to the title I responded. I don't care about a real or not spike.

Democrats are never gonna be the law and order party but regardless of voter perception vs reality they can lose voters by not addressing crime if that's what voters want

Houston has real structural law and order problems. I mentioned the curren having to not investigate all crimes controversy and a lot of criminals are repeat offending because of lack of jail space so llow bonds.

Again Houston needs more police. So while addressing policing don't ignore the city needs more police.

What was your first impression of the thread title?

Edit: you demonstrate the problem I'm referring.ti Democrats don't have a lot to gain discussing crime, it's overblown , crime is improving, it's in voter's heads.

It's in their hearts when they cast votes also so ignoring is what they should do?

#62 pgabriel, Apr 6, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@rocketsjudoka

You're pretty fair. Stop wondering why I started talking about this stuff and read the thread. The first five responses are about crime. I mistakenly tried to defend the article

basso likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think crime and especially migrant crime is a Republican manufactured narrative and when Democrats engage the issue, even in counter-argument, they cede control of the narrative to their political opponents. I disagree with your assumption that Democrats avoid talking about crime because they don't want to offend black people. I think to the extent they don't talk about crime it is to avoid submitting to the Republican narrative about crime.[/quote]

I don't mind being called out. You can @ME. I was and am critical of John Whitmire for using Republicans' crime narrative to win his election and for thinking that he can improve Houstonians' lives by treating symptoms and ignoring diseases. The more he says, now that he's mayor, the less I like him.

I will not dispute that we have a cop shortage nor will I dispute that we've made the profession difficult by demanding accountability. I just don't think the answer is to stop complaining when they violate people's civil rights. Whitmire's solution is to staff the police to fill their whole remit a mile wide and an inch deep. I would prefer we narrow police's focus to only the things they are most suited for and increase their professionalism in doing that narrow function.

But, it doesn't strike me that the scandal of not investigating sexual assaults is really a manpower issue. Sure, their manpower is short. And yes, investigating sexual assault is probably a labor intensive exercise paired with a low success rate given how hard it is to get convictions. But somewhere administratively they decided therefore it was low priority and that these women's rapes weren't important enough. Negligence isn't a budgetary problem, it's a culture problem. It is a symptom of the mile-wide-inch-deep nature of their role.

Honestly, the only people triggered here are you and Reeko. Reeko thinks you owe him something. But, I don't know why you're so triggered. You presented an argument, some posters gave reasoned counter-arguments, many even affirmed your point-of-view by saying things that thought aligned with your argument, and then you said, "why yall freaking out?" I think you didn't read the room right.

pgabriel and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thank you

A couple of things, I don't care either way about Whitmire in general but I think it's unfair to say he use the Republican narrative. I get that there are 2 issues, the first is police man power, he second is more crime.

It's a campaign, we have a police shortage, how do you address a real shortage without talking crime. It's a natural flow, I get it not that simple, he is running on crime but to say people are overreacting on crime but really have a manpowe issue r is just gonna make him appear wishy-washy

Triggered may have been a bad word but still the first three responses were about disputing a spike when the original post is about Republicans demonizing migrants. Like I've said it's been am issue for me since Trump's 2016 campaign and I was surprised that that's what people got oof the original post

#65 pgabriel, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well crime in Houston ain't good breh. It's not as outrageous as California, but the cartels are thriving!
    @basso
    @AroundTheWorld

basso likes this.