1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Wemby is Coming."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by razorback88s, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Ancient Moabite

Which they piggy backed off of the Russell/Wilt original rivalry

Of course they are global, thank Wilt for saving the league in 62' season since they were about to possibly shut down, allegedly

The NBA is setting up the OKC/SA/Rockets battle because as you state the NBA knows its bread n butter, and this era they will have to lean on others not named Wemby but he is firmly in their plans no doubt as top pup(chosen one 2.0)

The Rockets are fun to watch, which is why Silver will get them more than 1/2 tv games next season

Wemby will still take his lumps like others in past, and those others will win until around year 3-5

Similar to how Bron went thru it and made Finals in like his 4th season, then later went to 8 straight

I don't know if Wemby will do that, but he will reach a Finals (at least), and hopefully he is battling Rockets in WCF during that stretch, so the Rockets can win a couple or three before Wemby breaks thru and reaches that Finals trip

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

His "god awful" team won more games the previous season without him.

Everybody dick riding Wemby so much they just trash the Spurs roster. Bro Daishen Nix and Silas won more games than Wemby. You can't have a trashier roster than that.

Wemby is simultaneously really good and also the most overrated player in the NBA.

maypk and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody is doubting his future but at present he isn't all that yet.

LeBron got coached by a moron and has guys like Darius Miles for teammates he still won more than 20 games.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I agree right now he’s maybe the 20th best guy, he’s not there yet. Lebron’s team wasn’t purposely trying to lose though, the way the spurs are

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Because they are trying to lose and with Wemby they have to try even harder to lose.

The Spurs have a 5 man lineup of Wemby, Jones, Johnson, Vassell and Sochan that has a +20.8 net rating. They have used that lineup for a whopping 142 minutes this season. They are actively avoiding the lineup that gives them their best shot at winning.

Nuggets, Celtics, Thunder, Minnesota, Milwaukee….teams trying to win…have used their very successful lineups 600-900 minutes.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. maypk

maypk Member

If you just ask yourself, "What makes Wemby special?" and answer it, you'll understand why he'll never be the best player in the league.

7. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I’m assuming the thread title is Victor’s go-to line when frolicking with his lady friend in the wee small hours of the morning

can’t beat “who wants to sex Mutombo” though :p

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People that do the amazing things overlook the smaller blue collar things that a lady also likes.

Roomba likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

They may not have that specific line up but all those players you mentioned still got a lot of playing time this year. That's not an excuse to only get the worst record if you took out Wemby and put LeBron, Luka, Shaq etc in they would have won 20 games or more by now.

While I agree ROY is all about stats and Wemby deserves ROY for his ridiculous stats, if you wanna say he is a top 10 player right now or even goat rookie he should have won more than 19 games as a rookie despite the lineup Spurs have. It ain't even that bad tbh rookie LeBron played with Darius Miles and about to retire Zydrunas Ilgauskus still got 35 wins.

maypk likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

LeBron team didn't need to purposely lose because they sucked, Bron was playing with old ass Zydrunas Ilgauskus and Darius Miles, LeBron still dragged them to 35 wins.

As for trying to tank Spurs already stopped playing Sochan at Pg months ago they still sucked and got clowned by multiple teams including the Rockets.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Most of all of this post has nothing to do with anything I posted in this thread. I never mentioned Lebron or Shaq. I only posted Lukas impact stats in his rookie season and Wembys impact stats his rookie season and how similar they are in comparison to the rest of the league. I didn’t claim him to be the best rookie ever or that he was a top 10 player right now. I said if he stays healthy he’s going to be a big problem similar to Luka.

Some want to discount how great he has been as a rookie by pointing to the teams record. Those people are ignoring that the Spurs are avoiding their most successful lineups(that all include Wemby) in an attempt to avoid winning and that outside of their top 5 players(who aren’t anything special outside of Wemby and Vassell) they have a bunch of nobodies. If they really wanted to squeak out 25-27 wins this year they could have, but they didn’t want to.

BaselineFade and xaos like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This place is in denial. Wemby is one of IF NOT THE most impactful rookie ever. The kid is like taking Paolo Banchero and Chet Holmgren and combining them into one player with the absurdity of a 7'4 frame and an 8 foot wingspan. No need to knock the kid all you can do is tip the cap. Injuries are the only thing standing in the way of HOF career.

xaos, BaselineFade and jordnnnn like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I only cheer for Rockets.

(Will definitely try to pick this dude in fantasy basketball, though...)

GOATuve and BaselineFade like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is sweet but I love me some basketball.

In a team sport setting his individual achievements have to help the team win titles and games, otherwise it is for naught.....

We already discussed Harden being the Best Ever on Offense but how many titles has this Best Offense Ever brought to the table?

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I really hate to say this. But as he matures and gets stronger he's only going to become more devastating on both ends. If/when he adds another 20-25 I don't know how you will be able to keep him from the rim. Like a super charged Giannis. And defensively, once he's able to stand his ground in the post it's over. It's unfortunate but he is truly on a goat trajectory.

Verbal Christ and xaos like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Interesting tool, need to understand better what exactly it measures.

[​IMG]

Sengun behind Jokic, but ahead of the others at the same age.

Wemby looks off the charts, and he obviously has height going for him, but as we could see in the head-to-head matchup, stats aren't everything.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Lebron was also playing almost 40 mpg, and was in a trash conference. Spurs main goal was to lose as much as possible. They have been a positive net rating team for months when he has been on the court, he’s just not playing 40 mpg like james was.

i hope he fails and is a bust, but you have to be realistic. Pretty sure you wouldn’t be saying this nonsense if he was a rocket

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

There is nothing wrong with admitting how good he is. Many saw it coming. You dont put the skill package of a guard in a 7'4 frame and then diminish the results based on head to heads or any sort of extenuating circumstances. He really is an alien. Its almost obscene how much he can influence a game by himself.

xaos and BaselineFade like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could still nitpick anyone's game, LBJ, MJ.......I still do not think the Spurs have the best FO, they used to have it but not now.

With a force like Victor, you could very well see the other players just ball watch or hesitantly do less.

It's not necessarily a boon. Let him fall in love with dribbling, dribble dribble dribble into Turnovers.
    • If he bulks up too much, he definitely loses mobility and speed.
    • Tanking in a Season where the Draft Class is pretty mediocre that only increases the chances that the Spurs fall into the Losing team Culture trap that they cannot easily get out of......

#100 daywalker02, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024