1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On April 8, 2024 something amazing will cross Central Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

THATS NO MOON!

CrazyJoeDavola, ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Was cool enough, here in Brooklyn. One of my sons is up in Buffalo and he said it was dope.

ROCKSS and MadMax like this.
  3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Might have been worth going blind.

You'll never see anything this beautiful again.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm not starting the 2045 eclipse thread (fyi).

Sajan, ROCKSS, MadMax and 1 other person like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Thought that was a pretty overrated experience. People describing it as live changing are nuts

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Our eclipse traveling group is already making plans for 2027. There's a short duration eclipse in Spain 2026 but we're looking at Gibraltar August 2, 2027. Gibraltar only has cloudy skies 15% of the time on that date. Compare that to this eclipse where the Texas/Mexico boarder had the best odds along the path but it's still cloudy 45-50% of the time on April 8th.

ROCKSS likes this.
  8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It was amazing, and the clouds broke around 1pm for us. Such an incredible experience with my 4 year old daughter. I was smoking some steaks and sausage too and she asked, "is this what an eclipse is....hangout outside and cook steaks" :D

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Well done, dad!

ROCKSS and Uprising like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My dad was an ophthalmologist. Let's just say that when eclipses occur, there are always SOME idiots who stare into the sun for too long, without any protection...not a good idea. (Also not a good idea to get totally high and lie on a sun bed and stare into it. True patient story...)

ROCKSS, Uprising and MadMax like this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that's nuts, but it wasn't life-changing for me.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Would have been better if I had a telescope. But, considering we won't see that again in Texas for a long time, you can knock it off your bucket list (even if it wasn't on it...just add it ;) ).

ROCKSS, rhino17 and Uprising like this.
  13. Surfguy

Trump said you can use bleach to... . Nevermind. ;)

Xerobull likes this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're spoiled by amazing things in 2024 and I tried to remind myself of that as I watched. It was cool and I'm glad I saw it. I can't imagine spending thousands of dollars to travel for one.

I can see why ancient civilizations freaked out during them. The hot orb that governs your life has disappeared.

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm like, reading or seeing these people who describe it as awe-inspiring. Am I just that dead inside that I all I could feel was "that's neat"?

Surfguy, rhino17 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

how was it brehs? was it everything i've dreamed of?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In 2017, I saw it in a cloudless sky in Wyoming.

Where did you see it? Were you obstructed at all? Seeing the white, wispy corona surrounding a black hole was pretty awesome sight for me. Like smoke is coming out of a hole in the sky. I assume even light clouds can obstruct that.

Being able to look at the sun is pretty cool in itself. And being in the moon’s shade, with the temperature drop and seeing the birds and animals kinda freak out, is another.

But for me, it’s sorta like going to ancient ruins like Mesa Verde and imagining being there, seeing the world through their ancient eyes. With the eclipse, it’s easy to understand why ppl thought the world was coming to an end, without knowing what was happening.

BabyClutch and B-Bob like this.
  18. Surfguy

Eclipse Hangover Day

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

The world had the chance to gaze upon a total solar eclipse today, and Google is seeing a spike in “eyes hurt” searches as a result.

This year’s eclipse event saw large parts of the U.S. taking to the streets to enjoy a rare view of the sun’s shadow as it gradually made its way across the country. We (hopefully) don’t need to tell you that staring directly into the sun isn’t the greatest idea, but that hasn’t stopped thousands of Americans from apparently doing it with and, unfortunately, without protective glasses.

Those who spent a little too much time looking at the flaming ball of fire in the sky quickly took to the internet to find the source of their new eye pain, and Google Trendsnoticed (as spotted by Wall Street Journal SEO Editor Shalom Goodman on X/Twitter). Specifically, search terms like “eyes hurt,” “my eyes hurt,” and “why do my eyes hurt” saw a significant uptick around 11 a.m. PT / 2 p.m. ET. In case you haven’t been keeping up with the solar eclipse schedule, that’s just around the time the moon started to pass between the Earth and the sun. Related searches seemed to reach their peak at 12 p.m. PT / 3 p.m. ET.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

so many dumb people in this world it’s honestly kind of sad

Deobhakta treated a patient who watched the 2017 solar eclipse for 20 seconds without proper eye protection. She now has permanent damage in the shape of a crescent that interferes with her vision.

"The crescent that is burned into the retina, the patient sees as black in her visual field," he said. "The visual deficit that she has will never go away."

Andre0087 and AroundTheWorld like this.