1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I see you are using the Trump precedent of walking away from the US's international agreements since he can ... versus what prior POTUS have done.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Walking away from a Trump negotiated agreement would have been widely lauded.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Trump is an idiot and uniquely dangerous to our democracy; let's honor all his commitments."

4. No Worries

Elections matter. Trump is not very smart and profoundly ignorant. This is who half of the electorate wanted (and still want) as their POTUS.

His commitments were made as the top representative of the US. Backing out of our internationally commitments harms our reputation and should not be taken lightly (like Trump is wont to do). The whole "our word is our bond" is kind of a thing.

You know ... a funny thing ... now that the economy is no longer a top issue ... the Rs are searching for something to ding Biden on ... and they land on Afghan 2021. Wouldn't you know it that that topic now pops on the D&D? It is just like that this is not really an issue of import but a shallow partisan talking point. Just like.

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

Foreign groups/governments we work with know about our political system and how changes between Democratic and Republican administrations may alter US policy.

They aren't idiots.

I'm sure there are plenty of historical examples of foreign policy positions changing between US administrations.

No Worries likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Of course not…. By the time Trump made the deal and Biden entered office we had already moved a lot of military assets out of the region. You seem to agree that Trump’s Afghanistan deal was not good.

Biden could have tried to renegotiate with the Taliban from a position of weakness or Biden could have put a lot of military assets back into the region.

At this point, it’s a non issue for me. It’s over and every administration has botched Afghanistan since Bush Jr.

I’m glad we are out

No Worries likes this.
  7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess we can say that Trump was responsible for 5x more US military deaths in Afghanistan during his time in office than Biden has been. Yikes.

8. dmoneybangbang

By who? Not you or conservatives at the time.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

The bottomline is we had already moved a lot of military assets out of the country so we would have renegotiated with the Taliban from a position of weakness…

This is less about international norms than we had already moved on militarily

No Worries likes this.
  10. basso

Supporting Member

who said the economy is no longer an issue? you obviously have not been reading the polls on voter sentiment.

11. No Worries

The polls are trending away from the economy being the top issue.

The polls have been pretty consistent in that most people are satisfied with their personal economic situation, but fear by the economy in general.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Whatever - the decision to withdraw and the execution of it is on Biden. He likely did not receive good information, but that is his responsibility as well.

We shouldn't have stayed in Afghanistan to begin with.

If we should have stayed anywhere, it is Iraq.

I am glad we are out of Afghanistan.... I only wish we had taken everyone that helped us and didn't want to stay.

Had we handled Iraq a little differently, we would have a long term partner in the region. Many young Iraqis were pro American.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden's report card:

Getting out of Afghanistan - A+

Execution of it - F

Andre0087 and No Worries like this.
  14. basso

Supporting Member

yea, but no.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seems that any outcome different than how Obama handled Iraq with isis is preferable. Bush's status of forces agreement to begin pullout, which was touted as a success, also mislead people then as it did now with Afghanistan's pullout.

Iraq's proximity to Iran and Iraqs own split borders made it highly unlikely the US would credibly hold it higher and for longer. Too much blood and treasure. Too much war fatigue.

Nook likes this.
  16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I would agree, and yea it sucked but at least we are finally out. I had to go back and look at the chain of events but the man who is known for the art of the deal was anything but

To a number of those who were paying attention, the whole deal felt like a naked attempt to just get out of Afghanistan. It was a campaign promise of Trump’s to be the president who finally ended America’s longest war. It would be something no other president had been able to accomplish.

Before the peace talks really got going, Trump had already started withdrawing thousands of troops, and he fired his defense secretary, Esper, after he wrote a memo disagreeing. (Esper later said that Trump’s withdrawing too many troops too soon contributed to what we see now in Afghanistan.)

When Biden took over, there were just 3,500 U.S. troops left in the country (from a high of 100,000 during the Obama years). He pushed back the date of the planned withdrawal from May 1 to four months later, but he kept the deal intact. U.S. troops would be out of Afghanistan by the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/20/trump-peace-deal-taliban/

FranchiseBlade and No Worries like this.
  17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The economy is doing well, the stock market is doing great, jobs are great. People are more concerned with the cost of PB and Jelly at HEB then those 3 things, I am not sure that will ever fix itself, prices go up and corporations are greedier than ever. Personally, my 401K did great under trump and it's doing just as well now. Is everything higher these days, yes, it is. If that's you're reasoning for voting for trump I hate to inform you the prices are going to be higher if he wants to do his voodoo magical tariffs again...................but hey, while there over there maybe Ivanka can get some more expedited trademarks.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I'm pretty confident that the USA could have held it, but it would require developing a really strong relationship with Iraq and helping in the rebuilding of the Iraqi economy. It has been so long, that there is over a generation of Iraqi's that were used to having US involvement and while they wanted rule of their own country, they also appreciated the freedoms that they had on certain issues - there are a lot of high school and college kids that really are concerned with the US not being as involved.
    I am not saying everyone feels that way - there are older supporters of Iran for example that disagree, and some outside of Iraq that have moved in - but the influence we once had has been absorbed by Iran.

19. basso

Supporting Member

I'm not challenging the economic data, I'm arguing voter sentiment. the average voter sees the current price and butter and eggs, milk and sugar, PB&J, and blames Biden.

you can argue otherwise, but that's not what the polls show.

20. astros123

astros123 Member

Again don't let these dipshits gaslight you @ROCKSS . Polling shows individual voters find their economic situation amazing but think the national economy is garbage. Folks view their own situation as better than ever before

No Worries likes this.